GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 08:19 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms

SPC Performance here in The US is making Adjustable Control Arms for the 1st Generation Aristo and GS300. They put them on my car yesterday and so far so good. My camber is basically Streight up in the front Sitting at -.35 on the right and -.40 on the Left.
Adverse effect - my ride height in the front is about a half inch taller which i dont like, but to get the right angle to save my tires i dont feel to bad. Also i think the suspension will settle a little more and get lower over the next few days.

Best thing about these is you can get a replacement Ball Joint for around $30 dollars when it decides to expire.

I will post Pics of the stuff when the sun comes out here in colorado.
Old 10-14-09, 08:34 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Triple C
SPC Performance here in The US is making Adjustable Control Arms for the 1st Generation Aristo and GS300. They put them on my car yesterday and so far so good. My camber is basically Streight up in the front Sitting at -.35 on the right and -.40 on the Left.
Adverse effect - my ride height in the front is about a half inch taller which i dont like, but to get the right angle to save my tires i dont feel to bad. Also i think the suspension will settle a little more and get lower over the next few days.

Best thing about these is you can get a replacement Ball Joint for around $30 dollars when it decides to expire.

I will post Pics of the stuff when the sun comes out here in colorado.
The reason your front is higher now because when your wheels were straighten to spec it actually raised your car also. You now need to lower your coilovers a little bit to make up the difference and you will still be in spec camber and you can fine tune your camber with the factory camber adjustments.
Old 10-14-09, 08:39 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnee78
The reason your front is higher now because when your wheels were straighten to spec it actually raised your car also. You now need to lower your coilovers a little bit to make up the difference and you will still be in spec camber and you can fine tune your camber with the factory camber adjustments.
I wish i had coilovers to be able to adjust it but i dont. Only eibachs over stock struts.
Old 10-14-09, 09:16 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

I wish i had coilovers to be able to adjust it but i dont. Only eibachs over stock struts.
If you only have eibachs, then why did you get adjustable arms?? Eibachs only give 1.25 drop which is not enough to eat tires especially if you have a shop "properly" align your car.I know this because I had eibachs on my previous first gen and I was able to get the camber almost into spec and when I cut the springs I still didnt eat tires within 6k miles.Proper alignment is key to saving your tires and the struts could be blown out or old which could also cause bad tire wear.On my current gS I am lowered on Tein CS coils and the tire wear is still minimal.keep in mind ball joints, tie rods and other suspension components will affect your tire wear because you cant properly align something thats broken.Considering your car is higher now because of the new arms your car realistically is now only lowered by.75 or just an inch.
Old 10-14-09, 09:31 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

If you only have eibachs, then why did you get adjustable arms?? Eibachs only give 1.25 drop which is not enough to eat tires especially if you have a shop "properly" align your car.I know this because I had eibachs on my previous first gen and I was able to get the camber almost into spec and when I cut the springs I still didnt eat tires within 6k miles.Proper alignment is key to saving your tires and the struts could be blown out or old which could also cause bad tire wear.On my current gS I am lowered on Tein CS coils and the tire wear is still minimal.keep in mind ball joints, tie rods and other suspension components will affect your tire wear because you cant properly align something thats broken.Considering your car is higher now because of the new arms your car realistically is now only lowered by.75 or just an inch.
I hate to say it but my drop was deeper with my Eibachs. i got around 2 1/2 inches of drop, and now its around 2 inches, i did a before and after Shot with a ruler so i know what i got. (the pics may still be around here somewhere) What was the width of your front wheels and what tire size were they with your eibachs??

BTW i am not trying to be an ahole but i have had tire issues, the camber was pritty far out and the alignment was just fine. I am currently on 245 x35 R 20 with 9 Inch wide rims all the way around. I may have to get a picture just to take a dump on that .75 drop comment...
Old 10-14-09, 10:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

I hate to say it but my drop was deeper with my Eibachs. i got around 2 1/2 inches of drop, and now its around 2 inches, i did a before and after Shot with a ruler so i know what i got. (the pics may still be around here somewhere) What was the width of your front wheels and what tire size were they with your eibachs??

BTW i am not trying to be an ahole but i have had tire issues, the camber was pritty far out and the alignment was just fine. I am currently on 245 x35 R 20 with 9 Inch wide rims all the way around. I may have to get a picture just to take a dump on that .75 drop comment...
When I had the eibachs I was running a 20x8.5 +35 and 245/35. I didnt like the drop, cut the springs and went airbags and then I wanted better handling and went with Tein CS coilovers..On my current first gen I am once again running Tein coils and when I had my 20x9 +32 I didnt have major tire wear.I am not sure if you bought your springs new or used but the only spring that could give you a 2" drop would be a set of tanabe DF springs unless your springs were cut.It may look like you have 2" drop because you have the 20's on your car and it fills the wheel wells nicely.I prefer to run 20's because you dont have to drop the car as much to achieve a flush no gap look.

Last edited by johnee78; 10-14-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-14-09, 10:25 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Regardless of eibachs and their camber wear... Awesome that they make adjustable control arms! This will help everyone that is having camber issues. How much are they charging for a set?
Old 10-14-09, 10:34 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe is like 399.00 on their site... 300 short of a brand name... also the design is not that...pretty. either way, great option. Could have been worse.
Old 10-14-09, 12:35 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

The Sun Finally came out.
Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms-new-uca-pictures-004.jpg
Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms-new-uca-pictures-002.jpg
Old 10-14-09, 12:51 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

When I had the eibachs I was running a 20x8.5 +35 and 245/35. I didnt like the drop, cut the springs and went airbags and then I wanted better handling and went with Tein CS coilovers..On my current first gen I am once again running Tein coils and when I had my 20x9 +32 I didnt have major tire wear.I am not sure if you bought your springs new or used but the only spring that could give you a 2" drop would be a set of tanabe DF springs unless your springs were cut.It may look like you have 2" drop because you have the 20's on your car and it fills the wheel wells nicely.I prefer to run 20's because you dont have to drop the car as much to achieve a flush no gap look.
He bought the Eibachs from me and I am surprised to read of a 2" drop because they only gave me 1.25". I did have tire wear issues with the Eibachs, but I believe the places I went to just didn't do enough to correct the camber. I have Tanabe DF210s now and I took the car to a shop that only does suspension work and alignments. They adjusted the camber to within factory spec (barely) and I am not seeing a major tire wear issue.
Old 10-14-09, 01:27 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Maybe i have a tierod issue, cause i have new ball joints all the way around and it is a legitamate 2 inches lower then it was. Man i have to find those pictures. Maybe my stock springs were just that much stiffer and didnt sag as much as other's. I am going to resurect some old pics and see if we can truly determine what it was before and after

OK these arnt the best pictures but it was all i could find on my office computer and iphone and sorry about the Slightly turned wheel it kinda throuws off the cmparison a little
Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms-xx.jpg
Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms-new-uca-pictures.jpg

This is the tire wear i was talking about
Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms-new-uca-pictures-001.jpg

Last edited by Triple C; 10-14-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 03:16 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-14-09, 04:17 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The wheel turned shot makes it look like it has some more gap, but in the side shot it looks lower than mine was with those springs.
Old 10-14-09, 04:32 PM
celm
Pole Position

so if your going to put lowering springs,and a set of 20 in rims.these control arms are pretty much a must to get the car stearing geomtry to spec?
Old 10-14-09, 05:45 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

so does anything change besides color of the arms between the 2ng gen arms i just put on and the first gen? mine is gold yours is black and thats all i see
fyi i dont need you to pick up the bumper kasey cuz the guy never got back to me. thanks anyway.

Quick Reply: Its Official - 1ST Generation GS300/Aristo adjustable Upper Control Arms