GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

GS300 Over Heating issues???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 11:04 AM
Engine80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 Over Heating issues???

Hey guys, what would cause an overheating issue in the 93 GS300, besides the coolant system? Anyone have any expertise on this issue, please share.
Old 04-19-09, 03:34 PM
status....
Lead Lap

bad radiator cap, thermostat, clogged radiator, waterpump off the top of my head
Old 04-19-09, 05:04 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Clogged Cat?
Old 04-19-09, 08:06 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Be more specific and you'll probably get some good answers.
Old 04-20-09, 06:30 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Is it Making a bubbleing sound when you shut it off? did you do anything with the radiator IE:replace-or flush? Like Status said Your cap could be bad, your water pump, A thermostat could be froze and not working properly or at all. Your fan Clutch Could be out see if it rotates Freely or if there is a fair amount of resistance.
You could be low on Fluid!!!!!!!!!!! i am sure you checked this ut you never know.
I have replaced all these due to overheating, but it has been overtime- about 3 years of constant fix then re-appear. The car is old so thing's should kind of be going out anyway. Give us a little more info and we may be able to help?
Old 04-20-09, 09:53 AM
Engine80
Driver School Candidate

Ok, thanks for the info guys.

Trip C... Yes it is making a bubbleing noise after you shut it off. I have tested the entire cooling system and all components are working fine. The only thing that I have not tested is the Cat Con, like Kaiser had suggested, thanks Kaiser. Also, this had occurred after I used Sea Foam to help clean the engine, through via intake system, fuel system and oil compartment. Could this have an affect of releasing carbon build up into the exhaust system, causing a clog in the Cat or is the Cat bad. Also, how this all started was because I decided to change out the entire gaskets on the my 2jzge. From Head to cover to manifold to everything you name it. Also, can it be compression too. I have tuned everything to spec and the car seems to be idling fine, but when you drive it the overheating starts. At first, one of the symtoms was the car jerking like it had in sufficient fuel running to it, then that stopped. Next, when you put the AC on, then that initiated overheating. Even after I shut off the AC, the oveheating still persisted. That lead me to check the cooling system, but I have found no problems there. There is no check engine light that comes on or any signs the might be an electrical issue. So can it be like I said above, carbon build up being released into the Cat, and getting stuck there, after I used Sea Foam? Like me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Engine80; 04-20-09 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-20-09, 10:42 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you losing coolant? The tops of these stock radiators are plastic and they separate over time. Look for coolant around the top of the radiator. If you see that, it's probably time for a new one. Also, I recently learned that the heater cores can fail. It looks like mine is seeping now. Fun times!
Old 04-20-09, 10:44 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Check your cap. Obviously Pressure is running back through the system and making the noise. Is your Clutch Fan operationg Properly because it should have a bit of resistance to it. It could be the cat issue from carbon. i never had this issue but i have herd about people just removing the cat all together
Old 04-20-09, 04:55 PM
status....
Lead Lap

is the coolant bubbling in the res tank or you just hear it? does it always get hot around the same amount of time or only when the a/c is turned on?
Old 04-20-09, 05:19 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engine80
Yes it is making a bubbleing noise after you shut it off.
where is it bubbling from? if it's overflow tank it is your rad cap.
Old 04-20-09, 07:25 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

blown headgasket
Old 04-20-09, 09:10 PM
GS300ZX
Rookie

yep the head could be warped in between cylinders allowing pressure to build in the water jackets in the block. Head gaskets dont always make the car smoke really bad. See if you ca n smell the sweet smell of antifreeze coming from the exhaust
Old 09-03-14, 10:33 AM
sarita
Driver School Candidate

Default 2hot2drive

Originally Posted by Engine80
Hey guys, what would cause an overheating issue in the 93 GS300, besides the coolant system? Anyone have any expertise on this issue, please share.
is ist normal for me to hold the fan while someone starts d engine with only two fingers? cuz it sure was imposible in my camaro
Old 09-03-14, 12:52 PM
Lexusupra2
Driver School Candidate

If it's bubbling from overflow tank, could be bad water pump, I had that issue before I completed my swap.

Last edited by Lexusupra2; 09-03-14 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-21-14, 10:24 PM
Titten
Driver

Originally Posted by sarita
is ist normal for me to hold the fan while someone starts d engine with only two fingers? cuz it sure was imposible in my camaro
No. It sounds like you have a worn out fan clutch.

Quick Reply: GS300 Over Heating issues???