GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

No life after battery replacemnt on 95 GS300

Old 03-19-09, 07:17 PM
BranRoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No life after battery replacemnt on 95 GS300

Hello,

I have tried to search for this high and low, but nothing seems to match my problem quite right...similar, but well...I won't mind links to other threads if someone thinks it's been covered to a "t".

So, I did make the mistake of jumping someone else's car a while back, then my car didn't start after I had it parked for some time. It jump started just fine, drove, was parked and shut off and started to be driven back to my spot once again. After that, it has not started again. This scenario doesn't seem to match up with the whole anti-theft scenario.

Either way, knowing the battery may be old, I replaced that and it still does not start. All doors lock and unlock from the key turning in the driver's door, and the whole dash lights up fine when the key is put in the ignition and turned to the acc position. But when you turn the key to the start position, nothing happens.

Please let me know if you need any additional information, any help is VERY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!
Old 03-19-09, 08:52 PM
SmoothGS3
Rookie

maybe a bad starter or alternator? does it make a "click" sound when you go to turn it over?
Old 03-19-09, 09:06 PM
ranger2339
Driver

Make sure all the wires that go to the positive terminal on the battery are connected good and check fuses maybe?

Josh
Old 03-19-09, 09:16 PM
hash
Driver School Candidate

Could be your alternator. Earlier this year i had my car off and I was listening to music for about 5 mintues then the battery ran out. I got a jump, then drove for an hour. Turned my car off for like 5 seconds, then when I tried to turn it back on nothing would happen. It would just make that really irritating clicking sound like 15 times a second.

I just bought a new battery and it worked fine after that.
Old 03-19-09, 09:56 PM
BranRoe
Driver School Candidate

Well, when I turn the key it is more like the dashboard dims a bit, but there is no sound at all. If I could hear a click at all at least I would know that the fuses/cables are good, as well as the solenoid.

I'll check the fuses for sure, but any other feedback is appreciated. I think my dad is attempting to save the day a bit this weekend and bring a jumper/charger box to help accelerate the process. Or at least take the strain off the new battery a bit.

Thanks for the feedback thus far!
Old 03-20-09, 02:54 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

ya if you have a click noise then its your starter but since you have no sound then check your alternator. i would say jump it then go to a checker or autozone and get a battery and alt. test done hopefully that helps
Old 03-21-09, 11:10 AM
BranRoe
Driver School Candidate

I am going to check all fuses that I think might contribute to the problem, EFI and ignition system related stuff. Pretty much easy things to check without needing to get it to an Autozone .

But, after that, I suppose I will try to use a jumper box or jump from another car, long story short, it's in a parking garage in downtown Chicago, a bit hard to get someone down there to jump it with me, but I'll be gettin' a friend or my dad to do that tomorrow if the fuses check out and take it to an Autozone for some free alternator testing.

Any thoughts on the anti-theft system? I read some things about putting the key in the ignition for 6 minutes and stuff, but the owners manual says that by unlocking the doors with the master key is all it takes to reset the anti-theft system.

Thanks again! I'll keep you all updated on my saga, haha!
Old 03-21-09, 04:45 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Use jumper cables and ground the terminal to somewhere else like the hoist hook to rule out a bad ground cable.
Old 03-21-09, 04:56 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

I suspect a bad cable.
Old 03-22-09, 11:00 AM
BranRoe
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

So, I tried the jumper cable from the negative to the hoist hook and to no avail.

However, I listened very closely for anymore clues for you, when I turn the key, things dim a bit, as expected, but not a sound. When I un-turn the key, after a second or two I hear a subtle, 2 clicks come from the engine.

Also, I forget if the car has to be running for this to happen or if it is another clue. When the key is in the ignition and on the acc position, even by pressing the brake, I cannot move the gear selector from park to neutral, does that mean anything?

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old 03-22-09, 01:15 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Have you checked all the fuses under the hood?
Old 03-22-09, 01:31 PM
BranRoe
Driver School Candidate

Ah yes, I forgot to include that in my updates. I have checked every fuse, except for any that is completely unrelated to the problem. Many fuses are for quite a range of components, if even one may have something to do with the issue I checked it and they all checked to be fine. The EFI relay looks fine too, but I have no way to truly test it.

Since I hear the subtle 2 clicks after releasing the key, maybe good solenoid but bad starter? My friend is stopping by at about 6pm CST today to try to jump it, since it started that one time I jumped it, I thought I would try ruling out the starter. I guess if it jump starts it may be the alternator, but since it has gotten a fresh battery and didn't start, I'm a tad confused.

I don't think I could tow this thing out of the lower level garage I am in if I wanted to. So any other recommendations are greatly appreciated!