GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Identifying whats missing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09, 06:47 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying whats missing...

One of the issues of buying a swapped car is trying to figure out where everything is, where everything used to be, etc. You end up staring at some electrical connectors that don't connect to anything, et. al.

There are a couple of confusing things on my car that I am trying to sort out.

1) Where is the factory location for the windshield washer fluid tank? I don't have one, but there are a pair of hoses that terminate under the battery box that look promising on the drivers side. Also there is a wiring harness plug there. Is that it? Or was that something else.

2) Also, if you look at an engine bay pic:

Notice the reservoir in the corner by the master cylinder. After tracing lines to the maximum extent possible, I am 99% resolved that that is holding my power steering fluid. On lots of other cars (including most of the swapped cars I see pics of), that reservoir is attached directly to the pump itself. Was that reservoir added during the swap, or is it present but used for something else on the standard GS300?

3) While we are at it, what the hell is that plug hanging in space by the alternator?

Last edited by AaronStaub; 03-01-09 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 10:31 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug hanging at the alternator should be for an O2 sensor, Well, on the ge's thats what its for , we have 2, Im not sure if the gte has 2 02 sensors on the manifold.
Old 03-02-09, 12:12 AM
status....
Lead Lap

the washer res is towards the front on the drivers side iirc. if you have a front mount they may have removed it for more room for one of the i/c pipes.

the power steering res on the ge is mounted on the pump but the gte has a separate one usually mounted on the driver side strut tower area. interesting bottle and placement they used on your car. you can see where it goes in this pic of an aristo engine bay

Last edited by status....; 03-02-09 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 03:59 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

On my car the wire that's hanging goes to the O2 sensor after my turbo on the dwnpipe.Since your twin still I guess there don't need it(idunno). Also my windshield wiper fluid bottle is attached to the pass. shock tower.
Attached Thumbnails Identifying whats missing...-updated-pictures-080.jpg  
Old 03-02-09, 07:54 PM
status....
Lead Lap

^isnt that the coolant res on the pass side and the windhield one is next to the radiator in your pic?
Old 03-02-09, 11:07 PM
dx4datazzz
Driver School Candidate

Aaaron the windshield washer reservoir was removed for the hard pipes it very hard to have both I believe I still have it in my shed if youd like it also the bottle is power steering when we did the swap the stocker was damaged in the clip we got so we just relocated and used one we had as for the plug Im not certain Id have to see it but if its coming off the car it may be the o2 deal everyone else is speaking of let me know

ps why havent you painted that strut bar and put it on yet
Old 03-03-09, 07:32 AM
AaronStaub
Driver

Thanks for the replies, all.

Chad- the strut bar is actually on the car (not painted yet. going to wait and see if there are larger paint plans in the future), that was just an older pic that I had already uploaded to a server. I'm not hung up about trying to install a washer bottle fluid, I'm more interested in just know which lines are associated with which system, which ones are in service, which ones are not etc. etc.

One other question I have been trying to answer is to find the resistor pack for the low impedance injectors.

I talked to a Lexus tech yesterday about the lines below the battery box. Didn't seem like those would have been associated with the washer fluid bottle since there are two hard lines, and the washer bottle uses a single flex hose. He speculated that there may have been either an emissions box or vacuum box there? Does that sounds familiar?
Old 03-05-09, 05:54 PM
dx4datazzz
Driver School Candidate

he is correct there was a huge charcoal canister under there you jogged my memory