GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Brake Bleeding Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 07:43 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding Question

I have a 93 GS, and plan on changing the brake soft lines soon as well as flushing the fluid out and replacing with ATE Blue. The calipers are stock OEM for the car.

2 questions:

1. Can I use stainless lines meant for a Supra? TT or NA version? Any recommendations ?

2. My car has traction control; does this affect the standard bleeding procedure? Same question re: the ABS system. The shop manual is kinda vague on this topic, to put it lightly. I have noticed that it introduces more doubt than confidence in performing jobs myself on this car.

Thanks
Ken
Old 12-11-08, 09:31 AM
mad_trbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS brake lines

You will want to use SS lines for your model car. everything I have read indicates the Supra lines are to long.

Horsepower Freaks sales SS for the GS300.

As far as bleeding with an abs system, I need to look into that. I want to say you should be able to perform the same procedures as normal.

What does your manual say?
Old 12-11-08, 03:15 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodridge SS lines for a TT

Techna Fit SS lines for a GS from HPF, they have the PVC coating (mine are clear) and they have worked just fine for 6 months now.

TT lines are too long. You can zip tie them out of the way but I'd rather just go with one the right length...unless you need the extra length for something. Bleedings just the same. Pump a few times, hold it, open/close the bleeder valve, repeat. Start from rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver. Someone may need to confirm that last part but I thought you're supposed to start furthest away from the master cylinder.
Old 12-12-08, 06:39 AM
Ken'sGS300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
Techna Fit SS lines for a GS from HPF, they have the PVC coating (mine are clear) and they have worked just fine for 6 months now.

TT lines are too long. You can zip tie them out of the way but I'd rather just go with one the right length...unless you need the extra length for something. Bleedings just the same. Pump a few times, hold it, open/close the bleeder valve, repeat. Start from rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver. Someone may need to confirm that last part but I thought you're supposed to start furthest away from the master cylinder.
Awesome !! Thank you!! That's the order I use to bleed the brakes on the Civic; farthest to closest to the MC. I wasn't sure initially if someone actually made SS lines for the GS. I'll definately be getting them.
Old 12-12-08, 08:02 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could someone please measure the length of the GS kit in a pre-installed state.
I currently have fronts installed on my LS that are to short & halted my project.
Correct LS versions were then sent to me so I need to mate the uninstalled rears with the free floating fronts (not in bracket) I have been running & see what Lexus they do fit.

I get to re-do the install with proper length lines. Pain in the *ss!
Old 12-12-08, 08:10 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by damon
Could someone please measure the length of the GS kit in a pre-installed state.
I currently have fronts installed on my LS that are to short & halted my project.
Correct LS versions were then sent to me so I need to mate the uninstalled rears with the free floating fronts (not in bracket) I have been running & see what Lexus they do fit.

I get to re-do the install with proper length lines. Pain in the *ss!
Sorry, wish I could tell you. I measured them back when installing but never wrote it down. The Techna Fit lines from HPF which I used (made for the GS) are factory length. Goodridge usually makes all their kits 3/4" longer then factory spec.