GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

94 GS running horribly-possible fried cat

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 03:00 PM
squirrelyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 GS running horribly-possible fried cat

So about two days ago my 94 GS starts running really bad, like it's misfireing on multiple cylinders or somthing, idles rough, down on power the whole nine, only odd thin was that it seems to smooth out when it gets above 4000 on the tach and your're flooring it.

so I did new NGK platinum plugs and wires...(that was fun)...and it is still doing the same thing..

so I take it to a garage because I'm tired of screwing with it and don't have any more time, they say it's either the Cat is fried or the harmonic balancer is shot.....I'm thinking the cat is fried because I've been using regular gas in the face of the prices over the past few months......

so, who knows where to get 1st gen replacement cats for cheap, a test pipe, or a header and exhaust set that deletes the cat (I love Florida-no inspection)
Old 11-12-08, 03:44 PM
status....
Lead Lap

just take it to a muffler shop and have them install a replacement or high flow one
Old 11-12-08, 04:20 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

strait pipe it FTW
Old 11-12-08, 04:42 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

don't straight pipe it, you'll loose power since they're won't be any resitance, what cat is suppossidly fried? the first or second one?

or does the GS only have one?
Old 11-12-08, 05:11 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just get the cat section of the exhuast into a straight pipe at any muffler shop.

Deknick , dont you have a a switch in your car that opens up the exhaust completely, making absolutely no resistance? Im not sure but doesnt the backpressure only matter if your turboed?
Old 11-12-08, 05:24 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

just hollow it out for now. It will be cheaper and will at the most take an hour because the guy doing it doesn't have to cut and weld a piece of pipe...and get some universal cats from magnaflow or random technology...If you're constantly hitting your cats on the road from inclines and bumps, get the metal substrate instead of the ceramic ones. Mine disintegrated within a month of driving them because they keep on hitting bumps
Old 11-13-08, 08:11 PM
squirrelyd
Driver School Candidate

not good they replaced the second cat, no change, so it must be the first ones up near the exhaust manifold...will the 98 headers fit our engines?
Old 11-18-08, 04:50 PM
squirrelyd
Driver School Candidate

more awesome news, #2 cylinder just failed a compression test, 105 psi to the others 150ish
Old 12-21-08, 03:06 PM
squirrelyd
Driver School Candidate

moral of the story, if your gs is missing horribly for no reason, check your fuel injrctor drivers from the ECU...and the retards from the first shop I took it (Tire Kingdom in Royal Palm Beach) to can't read a compression meter to save thier life.

Last edited by squirrelyd; 12-25-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 04:02 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vindedreal
You could just get the cat section of the exhuast into a straight pipe at any muffler shop.

Deknick , dont you have a a switch in your car that opens up the exhaust completely, making absolutely no resistance? Im not sure but doesnt the backpressure only matter if your turboed?

yes i do, your right, but i have turbos, the turbos give enough back pressure, when the exhaust is opened right up through the 3" downpipe, the wastegates go all bugeyed and you loose lower end power since hte turbos take longer to spool, but your top end is increase, as i've seen it on the dyno, i did two runs, and with the cutout fully open, i gaine 37rwhp, without a tune and a boost controller.

but the loss of low end power doesn't matter as i've sorted that all out with a boost controller.

BUT on N/A engines, you need backpressuer, i know someone that had a 240 had id dyno'd, then ripped off the exhaust and dyno'd it again, and he loss power cause there was no backpressure since it was NA