GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

DIY:Polished Window Trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 12:05 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Would clearcoating them stop them from getting dull?
Old 09-15-08, 12:14 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would've never thought of doing this...but I'm glad you did!!! It looks great man...Really set's the car apart and definitely gives it a more luxurious look. Props on the ride.

-Timbo
Old 09-15-08, 04:49 PM
theGAME
Driver School Candidate

that car is amazing what rims are those? looks soooooo good
Old 09-15-08, 05:05 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkiiisupra
couldnt they also be chrome plated like factory finishes if you wanted to pay to have it done?

btw, what steering wheel is that? How close does the wood match oem?
thats what i wanted to do in the first place.but living on an island and not having anyone to chrome them sucked!but i plan to send them out to Cali to get them done.but not anytime soon.as for the steering wheel,its just a cover.i needed it because mines is all ripped!
Old 09-15-08, 05:07 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
Would clearcoating them stop them from getting dull?
i asked my painter the same.and he told me that the suface was too smooth to have the clear to stay on.and plus he said,no matter what it would corrode.and i didnt want to have to take them off and re do them.
Old 09-15-08, 05:10 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the compliments!you can find more pics here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=310575

Originally Posted by theGAME
that car is amazing what rims are those? looks soooooo good
Thanks!Rims are AME Shallen LX.
Old 01-05-09, 11:40 AM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how to take the window trim off in the first place lol, I know how to take the side mirrors off then im stuck lol
Old 01-08-09, 12:13 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

There might be an easier way - never have to remove trim, never have to polish it and goes on in about 1/2 hour with the use of a heat gun. We make a trim kit for the 928 in black that people buy so there is no need to repaint. This stuff lasts for years.

I would swap the material for chrome foil, bit harder to work with and more expensive because it won't go around corners.

I'll be doing a pillar kit in black soon, that can be done in chrome as well so the whole thing will be pretty much covered.

http://jageng.com/garage9/product_in...3f916e76d0afcb
Old 01-12-09, 01:00 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

Got a custom chrome trim kit designed this weekend and am going to get the parts into manufacturing tomorrow. Cool thing is that with the two door pillars a quick repair of the loose pillar trim syndrome should be pretty easy to do. Won't know about that until i run some tests if i can find that part to play with.

the chrome kit will install in about an hour, no removal of anything and is inexpensive - should be around $60-70 per side.

the door pillars are about $75 per side. i put a fractured Lexus logo on there. it will be optional but need some time to digest whether that is a go or not.

this picture is a mock-up using our 944Turbo pillar trims. Looks really sharp and NO maintenance!

Last edited by SharkGTS; 01-12-09 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 09:14 AM
vindedreal
Pole Position

That looks really good, What kind of material is it? Im guessing vinyl? And when will it be for sale?
Old 01-12-09, 10:01 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

thanks for the reply. i think it does improve the look and is more upscale. looks better in real life. surprised me - the window line of the gen1 is unique and for some reason really brings out the tint of the glass. however, now that the window line is dressed, there needs to be chrome on the body to tie it in. the body cladding seam is a good choice lower or down on the rocker might be cool.

the faux chrome corners and pillars are laser cut 3M backed vinyl over ABS/ hand urethane resin coated. the trim moldig is OEM spec extruded plastic with clear coat. all of the parts are about 1/8" thick, so it's easier to work with and will last for years. the pillars can be faux or synthetic chrome too.

i'll see about getting an item on our website in the next few days.

am getting a few done as an inital run so need to know opinions on the Lexus logo.... keep or delete?
Old 01-12-09, 11:17 AM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

damn it!only now?you guys should thank me for being the guiene pig!haha nah jus playing.but i would've love to have this 4 months ago.
id leave out the Lexus logo.looks kinda out of place to me.

Last edited by BIGGZ; 01-12-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 11:21 AM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vindedreal
Anyone know how to take the window trim off in the first place lol, I know how to take the side mirrors off then im stuck lol
if you still wanna know how to take them of you need to take off the door panels and the interior trim that surounds the window.after that there will be like 6 bolts on top of the trim and some on the bottom.after that just pull them off.on the side pillars its held on with clips so it'll pop off.but most likely the clips will break.
Old 01-12-09, 12:18 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SharkGTS
thanks for the reply. i think it does improve the look and is more upscale. looks better in real life. surprised me - the window line of the gen1 is unique and for some reason really brings out the tint of the glass. however, now that the window line is dressed, there needs to be chrome on the body to tie it in. the body cladding seam is a good choice lower or down on the rocker might be cool.

the faux chrome corners and pillars are laser cut 3M backed vinyl over ABS/ hand urethane resin coated. the trim moldig is OEM spec extruded plastic with clear coat. all of the parts are about 1/8" thick, so it's easier to work with and will last for years. the pillars can be faux or synthetic chrome too.

i'll see about getting an item on our website in the next few days.

am getting a few done as an inital run so need to know opinions on the Lexus logo.... keep or delete?
i would get this in a heartbeat. great job, and thanks in advance!

my vote is 'no' on the lexus logo.
Old 01-12-09, 03:52 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Thanks BigJZ.

On the pillars, I wouldnt keep the lexus logo.

Quick Reply: DIY:Polished Window Trim