GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My 1GS3 Progress So Far

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 10:12 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Job man! How's the power increase??
Old 08-15-09, 10:39 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You decided to go with the draw through setup? How much psi are u running? Lol hows it running in general? Btw ur car looks sick!
Old 08-17-09, 01:42 PM
stalnout
Driver School Candidate

hahhaha i now own the car to the right of the pics lolz n i jst it a nquick detail 4hrs n came out sweet
Old 08-18-09, 07:50 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by moejz
That is excellent. Have you driven it yet???
I do drive it around, but can't safely boost yet. Need to finish the last few things, just finding i'm short on time...

saw yours... oooooh looks sweet!

Originally Posted by Triple C
Looking good
Thank you sir

Originally Posted by 1stGS30
cant wait to see it man. Now its my turn!!! lol
Do you plan on boosting soon? I hope so... Like I said before, the car may be ready for the Liberty VIP meet, but most likely not. Definitely will be ready for Toyotafest in Sept. though.

Originally Posted by kid2rocks
how much did it cost to do the Wood Grain upgrade you have going on ur center consoule and up the middle?
Well the whole kit cost me something like $150, that was for the center, the window controls, etc etc. You can get it off ebay by searching for "gs300 dash kit"

Buuuut if you want to do it so its not a stick on type of deal, go with patterntek.com. more expensive but certainly higher quality. Depends on your budget.

Originally Posted by tim8oland
Good Job man! How's the power increase??
Couldn't tell you for certain yet, not quite done. But the wastegate spring is an 8.7psi spring, so I'm looking at around 280whp on the stock headgasket.

Originally Posted by vindedreal
You decided to go with the draw through setup? How much psi are u running? Lol hows it running in general? Btw ur car looks sick!
Well, I'm currently running the blow through setup for a couple reasons. The Neo doesn't accomodate stalling in the Draw through setup and I need this to run well cause its my DD. On top of that, I plan to switch to the MAP ECU soon because I want to delete the MAF and didn't know til recently that it would work with an OBD1 car, and the only problem with blow through in low boost applications is the mucking up of the MAF over time, and I don't plan on staying Blowthrough/Neo setup that long. soon to be drawthrough/MAPECU.

Wastegate is an 8.7 spring. Running very well, no problems yet *knock on wood*

Thanks for the compliments

Originally Posted by stalnout
hahhaha i now own the car to the right of the pics lolz n i jst it a nquick detail 4hrs n came out sweet
Did you buy Frank's GS3? the dark green one with the 20" Wedz?
Old 08-18-09, 09:04 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Really nicely done. Thanks for the detailed information you've provided as well. I am jealous. The California Air Resources Board is standing between me and forced induction. The ******!
Old 09-02-09, 01:07 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
Really nicely done. Thanks for the detailed information you've provided as well. I am jealous. The California Air Resources Board is standing between me and forced induction. The ******!
Yeah Cali is crazy about their air. Our air is already so bad over here in Jersey that i'm pretty sure they don't care how much more we pollute it

BTW, love your car. looks so good completely restored

Okay! Engine bay time!

Everything is in and running well (don't mind the blue coupler, ran out of red lol). Car can really MOVE under boost. I don't know how I could've driven this before without it. BIG difference.

Ran into a few issues throughout this process, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. BIG HUGE UNENDING PROPS to TODD(rising_sun), KEVIN(theclassic32), and MARK(mkorsu) for all your help, support, and hard work that went into this. You guys are absolutely right, once you start into this boost game, you need the support of others that have done it before and you become family lol.

Still have some problems with the wideband gauge (innovate is overrated in my opinion) but car is running well on the stock fuel system, albeit REALLY rich...

Also I had an existing transmission problem before this boost situation came about, and all I have to say is... yeah i'm gonna need a new one soon rofl
can someone say "extra load on the tranny" and multiple it by 8 hahaha

List of parts installed for this crazy nonsense:

Custom Turbo Kit
- Turbonetics T60-1 Turbo
- Turbonetics Exhaust Manifold
- CX Racing FMIC
- HKS style SSQ BOV (blitz BOV to be installed soon)
- SS Oil feed and return lines (-4AN feed, -10AN return)
- 35mm Tial Wastegate, 8.7psi spring
- Turbonetics Downpipe
- Chrome intercooler piping
- T-bolt Couplings
Apexi AFC Neo
Glowshift Boost Gauge
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
B&M Transmission Cooler
2GS3 Engine Cover

Cats deleted take that all you hybrids lol

you can see the B&M tranny cooler in pics 1 & 3 in front of the radiator (the black square) and the engine cover is from a 2nd gen GS3 (when I first put it on it cut into the vacuum lines on top of the throttle body and Intake manifold, so make sure if you do this to change to hardier lines, dremel that area out, or cushion it with some sort of non flammable material)

Whoo, finished a month and a half after we started. But we were trying to fit this into the schedules of 4 people across two states haha and it is a daily driver, so not so bad
Old 09-02-09, 01:16 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like how you put the 2GS engine cover. I always thought about putting it on our GS but assume that it might not fit due to the 2nd Gen GS have VVT-I and the difference in bolts location. The first picture throw me off because I thought this is the 1st Gen section but why did you have 2nd Gen engine cover and no VVT-I. On top of that you have 1st Gen strut bar. After scrolling down I finally realized it is 1st Gen GS Well done and very original ( I think you are the first to do this with the engine cover)
Old 09-02-09, 01:44 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

I love it. What was your total cost on your project
Old 09-02-09, 04:35 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

nice!!!! i want to go single already and i still haven't even driven my car yet lol
Old 09-02-09, 05:53 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
Yeah Cali is crazy about their air. Our air is already so bad over here in Jersey that i'm pretty sure they don't care how much more we pollute it

BTW, love your car. looks so good completely restored

Okay! Engine bay time!

Everything is in and running well (don't mind the blue coupler, ran out of red lol). Car can really MOVE under boost. I don't know how I could've driven this before without it. BIG difference.

Ran into a few issues throughout this process, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. BIG HUGE UNENDING PROPS to TODD(rising_sun), KEVIN(theclassic32), and MARK(mkorsu) for all your help, support, and hard work that went into this. You guys are absolutely right, once you start into this boost game, you need the support of others that have done it before and you become family lol.

Still have some problems with the wideband gauge (innovate is overrated in my opinion) but car is running well on the stock fuel system, albeit REALLY rich...

Also I had an existing transmission problem before this boost situation came about, and all I have to say is... yeah i'm gonna need a new one soon rofl
can someone say "extra load on the tranny" and multiple it by 8 hahaha

List of parts installed for this crazy nonsense:

Custom Turbo Kit
- Turbonetics T60-1 Turbo
- Turbonetics Exhaust Manifold
- CX Racing FMIC
- HKS style SSQ BOV (blitz BOV to be installed soon)
- SS Oil feed and return lines (-4AN feed, -10AN return)
- 35mm Tial Wastegate, 8.7psi spring
- Turbonetics Downpipe
- Chrome intercooler piping
- T-bolt Couplings
Apexi AFC Neo
Glowshift Boost Gauge
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
B&M Transmission Cooler
2GS3 Engine Cover

Cats deleted take that all you hybrids lol

you can see the B&M tranny cooler in pics 1 & 3 in front of the radiator (the black square) and the engine cover is from a 2nd gen GS3 (when I first put it on it cut into the vacuum lines on top of the throttle body and Intake manifold, so make sure if you do this to change to hardier lines, dremel that area out, or cushion it with some sort of non flammable material)

Whoo, finished a month and a half after we started. But we were trying to fit this into the schedules of 4 people across two states haha and it is a daily driver, so not so bad
It was a pleasure helping you build your project. We need to give you a formal photoshoot. and BTW you have a REAL HKS SSQV! ... on loan
Old 09-02-09, 08:37 PM
rudedog35
Pole Position

Dude great process and pics of what you have done to that fine machine...
Old 09-02-09, 10:08 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

WOW! where have i been haha. Damn man, finally boosting! congratulations!!
Old 09-03-09, 07:30 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suprawhite
I like how you put the 2GS engine cover. I always thought about putting it on our GS but assume that it might not fit due to the 2nd Gen GS have VVT-I and the difference in bolts location. The first picture throw me off because I thought this is the 1st Gen section but why did you have 2nd Gen engine cover and no VVT-I. On top of that you have 1st Gen strut bar. After scrolling down I finally realized it is 1st Gen GS Well done and very original ( I think you are the first to do this with the engine cover)
haha yeah i figured it would confuse some people. There are no bolt locations for this on the 1GS intake manifold to bolt down on, which leaves you with a couple options. Since i have a strut bar, the bar itself holds down the cover exactly where I want it, and tight. I plan to make some brackets for it though so I can secure it without the bar (but i'm still keeping it )

I've wanted to do it for a while, just never ventured over to the 2GS classifieds til last week. Bought it from ZippyGuy, new condition

Originally Posted by Triple C
I love it. What was your total cost on your project
Just the na-t conversion right? I got an excellent deal all around so again, don't compare to my experience on this unless you've got good, cool people to help install it, the knowledge to do some of it yourself, and awesome deals on classifieds all over the internet lol

My total after everything; cost for the turbo conversion was approx $1600-1700.

Originally Posted by vtec-this
nice!!!! i want to go single already and i still haven't even driven my car yet lol
i can't wait to see your car all finished. I'm avidly watching your thread and in stock twin form it'll already be faster than what I've got now; if/when you go single, you're gonna blow the pants off people lol

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
It was a pleasure helping you build your project. We need to give you a formal photoshoot. and BTW you have a REAL HKS SSQV! ... on loan
Oh todd where to begin... you say pleasure? don't you mean PITA hahaha This would never have happened without you, you realize this right? How come you are the only person that can peer pressure me into this nonsense lol...

NO PHOTOSHOOT!!! Its not done! Not until the body work is done lol. Mark is almost done with the rear bumper (sent me the pic, get a phone i can send you the pics on...), we should be able to mount it on and get it painted by next week. Until its all done, my car would just look weak and pitiful next to yours... (actually even after its done, it'll still look weak and pitiful comparitivly...)

Oh i didn't know it was the HKS SSQ BOV... thought it was the knockoff one lol. I really wish I didn't have to use yours though. I wanted to use mine from the get-go, but the damned pipe... sigh.

Call you later today about the wheels.

Originally Posted by rudedog35
Dude great process and pics of what you have done to that fine machine...
Thank you sir

Looking forward to see your progress as well

Originally Posted by yusef
WOW! where have i been haha. Damn man, finally boosting! congratulations!!
Where have you been? Haven't seen you around much. Hows the car running? Last thread I saw from you it was stuck at your friends place in a shady neighborhood...

Still, you've got a serious sleeper

Thanks buddy, boost be fun. I never imagined I'd actually go through with it haha

Last edited by Lexatlast; 09-03-09 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 12:21 AM
MIC123321
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the turbo is a garret by the way with a stage 3 race internals not a turbonetics,full boost(8.7) should be something like 3200rpm. i think it was at 12psi with maxing out the stock injectors. --MIC
Old 09-18-09, 07:10 AM
stalnout
Driver School Candidate

Did you buy Frank's GS3? the dark green one with the 20" Wedz?[/QUOTE]

yep yezzur ... but by the tiime i got it theres no 20" booo frank boo lolz

Quick Reply: My 1GS3 Progress So Far