GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

98-05 Upper Control Arms!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 03:20 PM
WickedLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 98-05 Upper Control Arms!

I heard today from a friend that works at Brandywine Imports that the Upper Control Arms from 98-05 fit our cars... Can anyone confirm this, and if so, was their any modding that too place to get them to fit?
Old 07-15-08, 05:45 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something worthy of exploring since there is basically NO AFTERMRKET SUSPENSION PARTS for our cars besides coilovers and uber expensive parts made by Nagisa Auto
Old 07-15-08, 05:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Stock for stock, the first gen GS handles much better than second gen GS. Last thing you guys want to do is start putting second get suspension parts onto your first gens.
Old 07-16-08, 10:49 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true but still it would be nice if we could get more suspension parts... i guess im used to mess with my cars that way lol im a suspension nut
Old 07-16-08, 11:15 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WickedLex
I heard today from a friend that works at Brandywine Imports that the Upper Control Arms from 98-05 fit our cars... Can anyone confirm this, and if so, was their any modding that too place to get them to fit?
I had one of my 1st gen arms out and compared it with my wifes 2nd gen and it looks identicle like it should fit, but I havent had time to test it.

Originally Posted by Och
Stock for stock, the first gen GS handles much better than second gen GS. Last thing you guys want to do is start putting second get suspension parts onto your first gens.
I agree with the handling of a "stock" 2nd gen.
But the suspension is identical in the front with exception of sway bar diameter. I think the handling has more to do with the weight distribution engine size I6 vs V8 and other factors as well.

I think the op was just noting that since there are more low milage wrecked
2nd gens than there are 1st gens it would be easier to aquire good used parts. Also the 2nd gen arm is priced lower at the dealer for some reason.
Old 07-16-08, 11:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I agree with the handling of a "stock" 2nd gen.
But the suspension is identical in the front with exception of sway bar diameter. I think the handling has more to do with the weight distribution engine size I6 vs V8 and other factors as well.
I guess then 2nd gen subframe and steering system must be subpar, because its way inferior to the 1st gen.

BTW, the all aluminum V8 in the 2nd gen is barely heavier than iron I6.

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I think the op was just noting that since there are more low milage wrecked
2nd gens than there are 1st gens it would be easier to aquire good used parts. Also the 2nd gen arm is priced lower at the dealer for some reason.
Are part numbers different? I would check out some aftermarket control arms for 1st and 2nd gens, and if aftermarket parts are the same, then OEM parts should also be the same, even if Toyota part numbers aren't the same.
Old 07-16-08, 11:24 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I guess then 2nd gen subframe and steering system must be subpar, because its way inferior to the 1st gen.

BTW, the all aluminum V8 in the 2nd gen is barely heavier than iron I6.

yup tru

Are part numbers different? I would check out some aftermarket control arms for 1st and 2nd gens, and if aftermarket parts are the same, then OEM parts should also be the same, even if Toyota part numbers aren't the same.
The toyota part numbers are different and the few places that offer am arms show differences also ie: ikeya