GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How to change shifter and ECT lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 04:55 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change shifter and ECT lights

WARNING: DO NOT have your keys in the ignition while changing any lights, you'll run a risk of setting off the airbag itself, and the dreaded lame airbag light.
NOTE #1: keep in mind none of the bulbs pictured are the stock ones, except for where noted, I already had my whole interior done in blue LED's remember, so you won't see the EXACT thing that i show, but it'll be a little green GLASS bulb that you need to be carefull removing cause they break EASILY, trust me.
NOTE #2: Once the LED's are installed, if they don't work, simply take it out, flip it around, and install it the other way, since LED's have + and - and only work one way, so if it doesn't work, pull it out, twist it 180 degrees, and push it back in, simple as that

with that out of the way.....
How to change the shifter and ECT lights to LED's

1. Remove the cigarette lighter/ashtray unit as shown:
push the flatheaded screwdriver into the crack, and push the handle towards the dash, poping the unit to come towards you, do that to the other side, and then repeat untill it comes loose

2. You'll be left with this:
push down on the clip and unplug it from the ashtray unit

3. Take a flathead screwdriver and insert into the shifter as shown:

Rotate it 90 degrees and the grey square thing will drop, shift it into N or D, or whatever, and you'll see two screws like so, unscrew them:

4. put the flathead screwdriver into the panel in a random spot similar to where i've placed it, then "pull" the handle of the screwdriver towards yourself if your in the driver seat like so:

and the other side as well

5. You will see 2 white plugs, use a screwdriver, or your fingers to pop them loose and unplug them

6. You will be left with this:
Old 07-13-08, 04:56 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

7. Unscrew the 2 big black screws to get access to the white box:

8. Twist out the 2 blue plugs and you will be left with this stock bulb(i put the stock one back in for the pictures):

once again, be careful pulling it out, if it's not coming out with just your fingers, use a pair of pliers, but ones that have a circle in them just so it doesn't slip and snap close on the bulb, if you understand what i'm saying, use this kind of pliers:

not these:

9. Replace it with the LED

10. Take both blue base's out, and using a screwdriver, push out the green plastic part like so:

once that's poped out, use your finger and just slide it out by pulling to the left
*note: you can take a piece of harder plastic, from packagin for various items, like a tub of candy or such, and cut out the exact same piece of clear plastic, then use a sharpie or something, to color it blue or whatever color, and then use some gift wrap type clear tape, and color that a couple times, that will help transmit the light and not have a "hotspot" of light at one spot, you can also do this to the ones in the gauges, i'll cover that later on, this is not needed, but if you want to make a new one and replace it, go ahead

11. You'll be left with:

12. Take two screwdrivers, or something similar that can be used as a wedge, and stick them into the ECT switch as shown:
Old 07-13-08, 04:57 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

13. Pull the screwdrivers opposite directions in order to bend the plastic that holds it in, like so:

14. Use your other hand and pull up(or push from the other side) the ECT switch:

15. Once you have the ECT switch out, twist the bulb out:

16. this is the factory bulb you'll see:

17. You'll need to use a pair of pliers or wire cutters, to unbend the leads of the bulb, i didn't take pictures, but scroll down and do the opposite of putting the LED in
Old 07-13-08, 04:57 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

18. Put the LED into the holes that the bulb came out of and follow the pictures, let me know if these aren't clear enough

19. Put the new LED base back into the ECT like so:

20. take the switch out to your car, and plug into the harness that you unplugged it from before, turn the lights on, see if it lights up, if it doesn't , unscrew it, and rotate it 180 degrees and screw back in, no need to rebend the leads or anything like that. try it again, it should work

21. push back into the housing like so:

Old 07-13-08, 04:58 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

22. take the whole assembly back out to the car, and do the same to the shifter lights, as they are easier to pull out, and rotate if they don't work. make sure both are working. if they are go to step 22. If they don't work, take the blue base, twist it out and rotate it 180 degrees, and twist it back in, look again to see if it works

23. assemble the white box back to the facia by screwing in the two screws, and then follow the first couple steps in reverse order, by plugging in the two plugs, and sliding the front(by the ashtry) in first, then over the shifter handle, then just push it down with your fingers untill it clicks in

24. Enjoy your new shifter lights in LEDs:
Old 07-13-08, 05:03 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

I should mention, that all of these DIY guides i made up, were ment for a Toyota Aristo from Japan, hence the RHD steering. As far as i'm aware everything should be the same, except for the front dome light, as the cars with sunroofs vary from the ones without sunroofs, the gauges i'm not to sure about if they are the same or not, cause i fitted all the LED's in an Aristo, not a GS300. I have a guy that bought a kit off me, with a GS300, and i'm just waiting on him to install them.

thanks guys, and hope these guides can help ya out a bit

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-05-08 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 06:55 PM
TuMadre16
Driver School Candidate

First of all awesome job!!! now into business...lol
hey, just wondering...just because there are so0o0o many different choices on the gauge cluster lights (e.g.blue/white for speed, i see from ur pic that your "P" in your gauge cluster is blue,would like to have it red if possible); the key entry light is red (wonder if i could get it in blue), and your climate control + shifter looks AWESOME!!! now, when you ship the KIT, would you label each of them or would i have to take a guess and go from there??? 'bcos I've seen other guides on changing the led lights, they look quite challenging and gets confusing since they mention various types and sizes of bulbs mentioned (would you be nice to give a few pointers)
one last question: how much would you charge for shipping into canada (edmonton specificly) + might ne interested in getting a second kit since i kno a guy who is really interested aswell

CHEERS
Old 07-14-08, 11:07 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Hey deknick...

Must say the write ups that you've done for several of these LED mods are incredible! Out of curiosity, where are you in Canada? It would be all to convenient if you were located in Toronto so that I could see your car in person. In any case, I'm very interested in getting a kit off you, but just need to figure out what colour scheme I want to do first.
Old 11-09-08, 06:45 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

That looks super clean, but too much work.
Old 11-09-08, 09:45 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

to much work? LOL i can do it in less than 10 minutes. if you think that's to much work, i'd hate to see how you work your lexus, jesus. this is nowehre near to much work ,this is what a dealership would charge you an hour of labour for changing a lightbulb too.

your just lazy i bet
Old 11-11-08, 11:54 AM
usmcpi
Driver School Candidate

Good articles on all the lights, but I have a couple of questions. I was looking on Ebay for some LEDs. They offer 3 and 5mm bulbs and different brightnesses. What size did you use for everything and how many mcd brightness?
Old 11-11-08, 01:45 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you make the bottom half of the ***** on the climate control red and the top half white? I recently had my climate control LED's, shifter, ect pwr, key ring, "headlight on" indicator in the gauge cluster go out and would like to replace them all (along with the rest of the guage lights) with a theme similar to yours....not to be a biter, red just happens to be my favorite color.

Now regular bulbs around the car are different sized obviously (i.e. 9005, 9006 hi/low), where can I find all the sizes written down so It'd be easy to make my own "kit". How are LED's usually sold? Do you usually have to by them in like packs of 10 or one by one?
Old 11-11-08, 06:41 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

there are bulb guides on clubaristo.net, sign up there, make a post saying hi, and do a couple quick searches, i think i've posted one there, i'm not sure,

and LED's i'm not sure, i buy them buy the hundreds and/or thousands since i make and sell the kits for the interior's to be switched to LED's.

and the bottom red/top white or whatever is done by putting in red leds, and white led's, then they just merge. i can supply them for you if you bought a kit off me