GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How to change climate control bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 04:46 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change climate control bulbs

WARNING: DO NOT have your keys in the ignition while changing any lights, you'll run a risk of setting off the airbag itself, and the dreaded lame airbag light.
NOTE #1: keep in mind none of the bulbs pictured are the stock ones, except for where noted, I already had my whole interior done in blue LED's remember, so you won't see the EXACT thing that i show, but it'll be a little green GLASS bulb that you need to be carefull removing cause they break EASILY, trust me.
NOTE #2: Once the LED's are installed, if they don't work, simply take it out, flip it around, and install it the other way, since LED's have + and - and only work one way, so if it doesn't work, pull it out, twist it 180 degrees, and push it back in, simple as that

BE VERY CAREFUL FITTING THE LED'S. the leads(metal wires coming out of the plastic tip) break off easily

with that out of the way....
How to change the bulbs in the climate control to LED's

1. Go in the car and pry off the top center vents like so...

2. push the 4 way hazard signal light so it pops out the other side, then turn them off,
3. set the vents on top of the dash OR unplug the clock, it's up to you

4. Go to the bottom where the ash tray is, and do the same thing.

5. you'll then see the clip, unplug it

6. unscrew the 5 bolts that hold the radio unit in

7. you'll then be able to pull the whole unit out, and carefully rest it on the shifter to not mark the shifter up, then unscrew the 4 bolts (2 screws per side) that hold the climate control in

8. unplug the climate control at the back, sorry i didn't get a picture, but it's easy

9. use your fingers and spread the cage apart at the top, while you wiggle(side to side) the climate control and pull on the climate control unit out

Last edited by deknick; 01-27-11 at 07:11 PM. Reason: i'm working on getting the pics back up.
Old 07-13-08, 04:48 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

10. bring the unit into the house or somewhere you can work on it, like a desk or such.

11. unscrew the 2 screws holding it together(sorry i only have a picture of one side)

12. use a screwdriver and "pop" the cover off

13. you will then be able to seperate the two sections, and see 3 plugs, unplug them

14. you will then be left with the 7 bulbs you need to replace

15. for each of the 7 bulbs, take a flathead screwdriver, and unscrew them

15. You will be then left with something like this:

16. I didn't get pictures of how to take the bulb out, but it's the exact reverse of putting it in, i just grabbed the leads,and pull on them to straighten them out, so do the opposite of the next step

Last edited by deknick; 01-27-11 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Reason: i'm working on getting the pics back up.
Old 07-13-08, 04:48 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

17. after reversing this step to remove the old bulb, follow these steps to install the new LED

18. Re-insert it back into the circuit board, and twist in.

19. repeat till all 7 are done,

20. once all 7 are done, plug the 3 wires back in, and clip the faceplate onto the back part, without putting hte screws, being gentle, take the whole unit back to your car, and place into the holder, and plug it in, turn the lights on, and check to see if they all work, if they do, congrats, you lucked out, haha, if not continue on...

21. take a look at what ones you think are burnt out,(you'll see a dark spot kinda deal) take a screwdriver and turn it so it comes out, lift it up, and keep turning it loose, untill it falls back inot the holes again, and then tighten it. So basically, flip it around.
(if this is to confusing i can get pictures if need be)

22. once all the bulbs are working, screw it back together, and reverse the steps to put everything back together,

23. enjoy your new LED climate control bulbs

Last edited by deknick; 01-27-11 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Reason: i'm working on getting the pics back up.
Old 07-13-08, 05:06 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

I should mention, that all of these DIY guides i made up, were ment for a Toyota Aristo from Japan, hence the RHD steering. As far as i'm aware everything should be the same, except for the front dome light, as the cars with sunroofs vary from the ones without sunroofs, the gauges i'm not to sure about if they are the same or not, cause i fitted all the LED's in an Aristo, not a GS300. I have a guy that bought a kit off me, with a GS300, and i'm just waiting on him to install them.

I have taken the time to gather some plug and play LED bulbs together, and assemble a kit that I am selling. I am not sure if it breaks any rules or not, but I have assembled a kit together to replace the lights in:
footwells
courtesy lights in doors
climate control
gauges
transmission shifter/ECT
front dome
rear domes
key ring light

I am selling these kits in your choice of blue, white, red or green, and are being sold for 60CAD, and that includes 5-10 business day shipping to USA.

i can set up a group buy if need be if there is enough interest.

thanks guys, and hope these guides can help ya out a bit
Old 07-13-08, 05:10 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Nifty! Great job ona ll your guides
Old 07-14-08, 02:42 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

**Mods,make these post a sticky**
Old 07-23-08, 10:56 AM
fordlex
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: climate control bulbs

Hey thanks for the clear organized pics of the diy removal of the centre stack.
Let me tell u my story. I went to Lexus asking them to remove dash and change all the bulbs except the needles. 2hrs or so later they said they were finished but they couldn't get to all the bulbs because some are layered. Now most of my bulbs were working however once in there they would change them all including the temp. display bulb. Anyways when I got the car back I noticed that the temp display bulb was still out. When I went back they said they couldn't change that one because it was an LED ( eventhough I was told that they changed that bulb. Angry I realized they charged me 200.00 to change bulbs in the dash that were already working. However I don't give up easily. I found a climate control unit on Ebay for 40.00 bucks from a 93 GS Following your instructions I simply swapped out the temp display bulb with my blown one, and voila everthing works like a charm. I solved a problem with help from this website that the Lexus mechanics seemed baffled with. Maybe u should email these pics to my dealership. Thanks.
Old 07-23-08, 03:17 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for the tutorial. been meaning to do this for awhile.
Old 07-23-08, 11:15 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Maybe the Lexus techs were just lazy. Great step by step write up btw.
Old 07-23-08, 11:59 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

is it a common problem for a dealership to not be able to do that? cause the lcimate control was a breeze, everything in there is easy, just gotta be careful nto to damage or break anything by being careless,

and thanks for the compliments, buying all the leds and getting the kits together was one of the best mods i did to my car, it's right up there next to the front mount and electronic exhaust cutout
Old 07-24-08, 12:00 AM
deknick
Lead Lap

oh, and btw, if they didn't change the temp display bulb, that's bull, cause the'yre not double stacked, all are visible once the unit is taken apart
Old 07-24-08, 09:31 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heh, this DIY is for RHD Aristo, not for the GS300 which is LHD . Thank you for a very thorough write up with pictures.
Old 07-24-08, 11:39 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suprawhite
Heh, this DIY is for RHD Aristo, not for the GS300 which is LHD . Thank you for a very thorough write up with pictures.
i realize that, hence why i made this post a long time ago
Originally Posted by deknick
I should mention, that all of these DIY guides i made up, were ment for a Toyota Aristo from Japan, hence the RHD steering. As far as i'm aware everything should be the same, except for the front dome light, as the cars with sunroofs vary from the ones without sunroofs, the gauges i'm not to sure about if they are the same or not, cause i fitted all the LED's in an Aristo, not a GS300. I have a guy that bought a kit off me, with a GS300, and i'm just waiting on him to install them.

I have taken the time to gather some plug and play LED bulbs together, and assemble a kit that I am selling. I am not sure if it breaks any rules or not, but I have assembled a kit together to replace the lights in:
footwells
courtesy lights in doors
climate control
gauges
transmission shifter/ECT
front dome
rear domes
key ring light

I am selling these kits in your choice of blue, white, red or green, and are being sold for 60CAD, and that includes 5-10 business day shipping to USA.

i can set up a group buy if need be if there is enough interest.

thanks guys, and hope these guides can help ya out a bit
Old 07-26-08, 12:05 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hey where in canada you from?
Old 07-26-08, 05:57 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

I am from Edmonton, Alberta.

Quick Reply: How to change climate control bulbs