GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Step by Step - Replacing Window Regulator GS 1st Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 03:27 PM
sebastian0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is an old commuter car. I really don't care if that window works. Is there an easy, reliable way to just keep the window closed, albeit inoperable?
Old 10-10-08, 12:46 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at my first pic - I had some of the grey small PVC pipe... I just jammed it in there until I could fix it and it held nicely .... It's small yet strong..
Old 01-03-09, 03:10 PM
afracer
Driver

I just bought a new regulator as I thought mine was toast. The window would not go up or down but you could hear the motor turning. I'm not sure what went first, the motor or the regulator...anyways, I took it apart today and there was a piece of metal shoved up against the bottom of the window (GHETTO) tied to the regulator with rubber hoses. Now, the idiot jerk *** piece of crap scamming used car dealer I bought it from (Ebay, I thought it was a private party) when I picked the car up said that the window was just working last time he drove it earlier that day! (LIAR!!!) Anyways, the regulator wasn't broken, the cables were out of their respective pulleys and holders, but there was nothing wrong with it. My guess is someone tried to fix it but didn't have an IQ above 10 or something... anyways, installed the new regulator in about 5 minutes, threw it all back in another 5. Went to test it out and it still did the same thing...

So, obviously the motor is shot right? No, I took the cover off the motor and found that Lexus used a rubber insulator, kinda like a motor mount, between the gear of the motor and the drive spindle for the window regulator. Kind of a destined to fail design I think...so rather than spend $300 and wait a week on a new motor (no Lexus dealer in town or junkyards w/GS300's), I decided to fix it myself. There could be many options to how you do it, my rubber insulator was only half there...if there was more rubber left I would've bought some Polyurethane multi purpose adhesive caulk and glued it back together. Instead I grinded away all the old rubber and bought a large nut (5/8") and ground it down to about 3/8" thick. I then JB Welded the gear piece and nut together...it's drying now.

I'll let everyone know how it works. I don't see why you'd need to have rubber in there in the first place, but oh well. Even if it gets tore up more I'll just have to buy a new or used motor to replace it.

On a side note, does anyone know if other models have the same power window motors? LS, SC, ES??? I know theres one or two of those at the junkyard.
Old 01-09-09, 08:33 AM
afracer
Driver

Well, lasted a good 2 days before the JB Weld failed. There could be lots of other ways to mess with this thing but I'm just going to get a new motor
Old 03-13-12, 08:39 PM
dale386
Driver School Candidate

My rear window motors are shot -- I want to replace them. AllData says the if a motor is replaced, the regulator needs to be replaced with it. Can I replace just the motors anyway, or is replacing the regulator really a requirement?
Old 03-13-12, 09:02 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dale386
My rear window motors are shot -- I want to replace them. AllData says the if a motor is replaced, the regulator needs to be replaced with it. Can I replace just the motors anyway, or is replacing the regulator really a requirement?
You can just replace the motors, but not sure if the motors are specific to each window.
Old 03-27-12, 10:22 PM
jasonhowy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the writeup. I am just about to replace the rear right window regulator and will certainly use this tutorial.
Old 06-08-13, 11:01 AM
JoeSF
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had success with the used regulators they sell online? They seem to come with the motor as well, although I just need a regulator I have a good motor. I have to replace a rear regulator.
Old 05-15-14, 09:10 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe,
I wouldn't buy a used regulator for 2 reasons:

1. You're not saving a ton of $$$
2. This is a fairly tedious job - how often do you want to have to do it ?

If this was something you could just unbolt/bolt on in 3 minutes, sure, I'd get a used one in a minute. But since it's such a hassle to do, I recommend spending the few extra bucks to get a brand new one rather than worry about when the used one is going to break.