GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

A project, an upgrade, and a couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 09:57 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A project, an upgrade, and a couple of problems

I didnt feel like starting a new thread until I had the right opportunity.
The project:
Well, I finally am taking on a new project with the car. Upgrading the door speakers all around. I went with some 5.25" all around. As most of you know, the GS comes with 4" speakers stock, haha. Not that great, but they didnt sound bad, but they also didnt have any midbass. Im hoping with the new speakers I get a little midbass. So in order to make them fit, you pretty much have to cut the speaker boxes in the doors, or make your own. Lucky for me I found some speaker boxes on ebay, so I got all 4 and did the front passenger side last night. I didnt take any pictures because I hadnt intended on doing it, but I went ahead and tackled it since I was already outside. Its not hard if youve ever used a dremel before, and its not hard if you havent used a dremel before. All I did was cut away a little of the plastic and bam, the speaker fit like a charm. Looking a the rear boxes though, it may be a little harder, but oh well, Ill figure it out, and take pictures along the way.
The Upgrade:
My brakes have been warped for quite some time now, and I couldnt stand it anymore, so I bit the bullet and ordered some new brakes. I ordered the brembo drilled rotors for the front, along with some hawk pads up front. I got it all off tirerack, and you can browse their site and find it yourself if you want. As for the back, I went with the ATE rotors, they were the only ones that had slotted rotors for the back of our cars. I went with some satisfied pro pads or something like that in the back. Overall, I am VERY happy, the brakes bite like never before. I think I may order some stainless steel lines from L-tuned, and do a brake flush, get some new fluid in there...any suggestions on the brand of fluid..anyone have any experience with certain types?
The problems:
Ok, so it all started after doing a tune-up on the ride. I dont understand it, but my SAFC2 keeps reading 0% throttle and the transmission will be really jerky and then the throttle will start reading again and after a while everything will be normal. What I dont understand it that when it started the CEL was reading a bad TPS sensor, so I changed it with a new one from lexus. Everything was fine for a couple weeks, then it happened again, same thing. I didnt take the TPS back because I dont think thats it, it could be, but is there any way to check it? Any type of trial and error to see if its the cause?
Ok, the second problem, which also started after the tune-up, or at least noticed it after. My cooling fan is always running. The electrical one in front of the car, right behind the radiator. I dont know why, its freaking cold here right now, it SHOULD NOT be on. I replaced the relay and that didnt help, I dont know where to go after that. Its not that big of a deal, other than its REALLY loud, lol, Its like, no Lexus should be this loud hahaha.

Oh well, If anyone read all of that, I appreciate it, and thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-13-08, 10:28 AM
Raph TT
Pole Position

check the wiring on your safc, maybe the wires going to the tps signal arent on properly..causing the error code.

the internal resistance of the safc 2 should make your tps read 1,2 or even 3% at idle..not 0% .. ive never had a car where it said "0%" at idle..

Edit.read your post again..def the wiring on your safc2..100% sure of it

2.cooling fan.. one day, i saw an odd connection(wtf???_) under my aristos armrest.. i pulled it up to get a better look, and a grounded the wire -..bam the small secondary fan came on..and it came on very loud..the ac was then "stuck" on cold.. it was the fuse from the heater/ac ..replaced it,loud fan stopped:-)

so check the fuses (fuse box in the cabin,in footwell) (it was a 10amp fuse,top row)

hope i could at least pint u in the right direction
Old 02-13-08, 11:32 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Gonna go check the fuse right now.
As far as the SAFC, Ive never seen another one, but the only thing is that the wire for the throttle, all it does is read a signal from the ECU correct, it shouldnt matter if its connected wrong should it? I will check it, but all my wires are soldered..maybe one broke, I dont know.

Ok, checked the fuses, there were a few that control the electric fans, they were all fine. There is another relay, but Ill just wait till i can find someone else with a first gen and test their relays. Not gonna waste money on another relay.

Last edited by Abear; 02-13-08 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 04:06 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Just gonna bump this to the top, maybe some weekend readers may have a suggestion.
Also, to what Raph said, what also doesnt make sense to me with the SAFC is that, if it is the cause, how come it didnt do this as soon as I put it on. I still need to check the wiring, its been raining here in Houston all day, supposed to be clear tomorrow though. Thanks for the suggestion though.