GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

progress.. finally

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 05:26 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default progress.. finally

Spent all day working on the GS today.. finally looking like a car again now.

New color.. Nassau Blue

dyed the dash blue.. no more sucky brown/tan

I've got the routing of the cage figured out. The dash wont even have to be cut much. If I keep on knocking things out like I did today, I may be putting the engine in next week in time to get get some shakedowns on it before the next DriftMB event.
Old 02-10-08, 05:27 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

The fusebox in the bottom right of the pic used to be in the drivers side front corner of the car, under the hood

Old 02-10-08, 05:31 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Now if I did this right, the tilt/telescope steering column will still work, the headlights, taillights, turn signals and flashers. Oh and the wipers.

Everything else, and every piece of wire that went to it, is gone. I have a 25lb bag of wire sitting in my garage.

Honestly if it starts the first time I crank it, I'm going to fall over.
Old 02-10-08, 06:05 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to see some progress! Keep up the good work
Old 02-10-08, 06:13 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait to see it once its done!
Old 02-10-08, 06:22 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Looks like new Jeff. You must have a very flexible HOA or none at all.
Old 02-10-08, 06:40 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

we have an HOA, but they are in a constant state of flux.. always changing officers..etc.. people quitting.. technically, nothing in my bylaws about working in my driveway. And the car has tags and insurance.

It is the neighbors I'm worried about.. I have been working late this past week.. sometimes well past midnite.. both in and out of the garage. I guess its cool though, I was talking to them all today.
Old 02-10-08, 07:49 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Lookin good Jeff.
What all are you doing? Was all this just for the roll cage?
Old 02-10-08, 07:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Good progress. I'm diggin the Mustang wheels, never noticed before that they come with a polished lip.
Old 02-10-08, 08:15 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks nice. can i get more info on dying the dash? I wanna do mine black.
Old 02-11-08, 08:44 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Well Abear.. it all started out that I was stripping the car. Since I have a truck to daily drive, I dont need all the comfort stuff (i.e weight) So out came the heatercore and a/c and blower motors. The radio hadnt worked since the Nak amp got wet at an event, so that was a no brainer. The sunroof has been out for months. So basically anything that didnt make the car run, or involve the lights or wipers, is gone.

Then I went crazy. I sat looking at the empty plugs everywhere from the parts I removed. Not very clean looking, and the bulky plastic covers for the harness bundles would have interfered with the cage placement. At this time I also decided to move the under hood fusebox, inboard. It has taken about a month working on my days off and late evenings after work, but it is finally done. I stripped the loom and everything off the wire bundles, traced out each wire to its end, and even removed the pin from the plug at the front end of the car.

A little fanatical, but considering how much electronics are in this car from the factory and how easy it is to get random signals interfering (try adding a ground wire kit to your GS sometime, you'll know what i mean then by the improvement). So no random signals, no hanging loose plugs and as a bonus I removed 25+lbs of wire from the car. Also I'll never need to buy wire again.

The main reason for stripping the car down in the first place was to stitch weld the body.. inside and out. That involved removing the urethane sealant covering every seam, then tacking a weld every inch or so.. on every seam that was structural in nature. On the course, my car used to flex so much that when I had a dome light, it would come on in the middle of a transition from the body twisting and the doors opening slightly. Pretty much have that taken care of now.

I'll be building my cage as soon as my tax refund comes back, my teammates and I are buying the equipment. Once I do the cages in the GS, my teamates s13 hatch, and the Hachi i gave to my sponsor to build, then we will be doing cages for the local drifters for some side money.

Oh and dying the dash..easy. Not that hard to remove it.. and I do recommend you do that. then go to an auto upholstery shop and buy the spray on dye.. called SEM. They have tons of colors at about $13.00/can Also get a can of the prep spray too.
Old 02-11-08, 08:48 AM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Good progress. I'm diggin the Mustang wheels, never noticed before that they come with a polished lip.
yea, i grabbed those Bullitt wheels from a guy at work. the day he bought his Mustang he took them off and put on some nasty chrome junk. They are decent offset, and at 230.00 for the set with some usable 245/45/17 Kumhos I couldnt pass it up.

I've been looking at some Bullit replicas for a while, but wider with huge lip.. 17/9.5 front and 17/10.5 rear. I'll probably buy them and use for show drift..demos and comps and use these for practice events.
Old 02-11-08, 02:27 PM
Fash00
Driver

What all was involved with relocating fuse box? Did you have enough slack or did you have to add wire?
Old 02-11-08, 02:55 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very noice.... Subscibed for updates.
Old 02-11-08, 06:42 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fash00
What all was involved with relocating fuse box? Did you have enough slack or did you have to add wire?
i had enoough slack, but you have to remember all the things i pulled out of it and the plugs around it.

The harness runs thru the drivers fender well and the wiper motor wires are bundled with it.. infact the wiper motor wires are way to long and bundled up in the loom. I knew this a while back when my front tires were cutting thru the wiring loom and at one event held in the rain, i had no wipers all of the sudden.

The major thing that ties up the smoothing of the wires into a long stretch is the grounds. The grounds in the GS, in addition to being black like normal, are also white with black stripe. They tie in to each other everywhere. The simplest way to get any length to straighten the harness is to cut the wht/blk and separate them into a single bolt on ground connection lug or a few of them.

Therre is a huge bundle of wires running thru the dash over the steering column, you'd have to pick them out of there also to get them to where i have the fusebox. I already had it stripped down, so it wasnt an issue for me.

From a "keeping the car together" standpoint, actually lengthening the wires would probably be simpler.

I did mine for functional reasons.. an oil filter relocator is going to reside there, and the fuse box is now safely in the passenger compartment. No collisions can damage it. Similar to why I'm doing the Vmount intercooler and radiator.

Quick Reply: progress.. finally