GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How can you tell if you have bad engine/tranny mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 02:43 PM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can you tell if you have bad engine/tranny mounts?

Just had a 4-wheel alignment done hoping to get rid of the vibration, but only when driving the car in the range of 50-65mph. It does not shake while idling or at lower speeds. Will bad engine and transmission mounts only result in vibration while in motion? I'm hoping it's just a simply wheel balancing issue. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-07, 08:22 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to know this too
Old 10-08-07, 09:38 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a bad motor mounts and the problem I had was everytime I would accelerated I was hearing this knocking sound of metal which was actually transsmission hitting exhaust system from being to low due to bad mounts. Replaced mounts and it runs like brand new.
Old 10-08-07, 10:11 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

that's just wheel balance problem. if it's only on certain speed. i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. got a vibration about 72-75 mph. under or over that speed no problem. find out it was my right front wheel really out of wack. get your wheel balance on a latest balncing machine. that should fix your problem. and by the way motor mounts makes noise when your changing gear at a stop. or vibration if there's more load to the engine while at a stop.
Old 10-09-07, 07:43 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by monkiwrnch
that's just wheel balance problem. if it's only on certain speed. i had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. got a vibration about 72-75 mph. under or over that speed no problem. find out it was my right front wheel really out of wack. get your wheel balance on a latest balncing machine. that should fix your problem. and by the way motor mounts makes noise when your changing gear at a stop. or vibration if there's more load to the engine while at a stop.
Thanks guys! I will get my wheels balanced today and report back on the result.
Old 10-09-07, 05:05 PM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Got all 4 wheels computer balanced. Left side (F&R) were off by 5 ounces! No wonder the car shook so bad. Anyway, drive is now smooth as silk. Problem solved!
Old 10-09-07, 09:35 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

that's good to hear. :-)
Old 10-10-07, 06:34 PM
lextan
Rookie

Originally Posted by monkiwrnch
NICEEE! I thought that might be my problem! Thanks!
Old 10-11-07, 02:41 AM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

i figured out that my tranny mount was bad because the car would vibrate at higher speeds especially when i decellerate. the tranny mount was $78 at lexus for my 95 gs. and the mount is a piece of cake to replace. just need a 12mm and a 14mm socket with extensions. make sure you put the bracket and the mount the same direction when you re-install. mark them before you take them off your car.
Old 10-11-07, 02:48 AM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

at first i thought that i had bad or warped rotors. no i got my rotors resurfaced and got a brake job (i needed it anyways) usually this elliminates vibration during braking but this time it was not my problem. the tranny mount make the car feel alot better. but still a little vibration at higher speeds (very little) and im almost 100% sure that when i get the wheels balanced it will fix it. ALSO lots of people dont realize if you have mismatching tires or bad thread on your tires, you will have the same symptoms. things like camber wear and different PSI in tires will also do this for you & affect alignment . . just sharing my several years of experience .
Old 10-11-07, 09:47 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WuTangUsa
at first i thought that i had bad or warped rotors. no i got my rotors resurfaced and got a brake job (i needed it anyways) usually this elliminates vibration during braking but this time it was not my problem. the tranny mount make the car feel alot better. but still a little vibration at higher speeds (very little) and im almost 100% sure that when i get the wheels balanced it will fix it. ALSO lots of people dont realize if you have mismatching tires or bad thread on your tires, you will have the same symptoms. things like camber wear and different PSI in tires will also do this for you & affect alignment . . just sharing my several years of experience .
Thanks for the advice man.
Old 10-11-07, 10:50 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

If you have over 100k miles I can guarantee that you need new mounts.You may not feel that you need them but you have been riding on bad mounts for soo long you think thats the way the car runs. Once you replace your mounts your car will feel like a new car..
Old 10-11-07, 12:27 PM
WuTangUsa
Rookie

the way i see it is, once your mounts go bad, why buy mounts for your 2jz NA . . just buy some TT supra mounts and swap the motor! haha
Old 10-11-07, 12:34 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WuTangUsa
the way i see it is, once your mounts go bad, why buy mounts for your 2jz NA . . just buy some TT supra mounts and swap the motor! haha
Because replacing mounts will cost about $200 if you do the labor yourself and the motor swap will cost about $4k...
Old 10-11-07, 12:44 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember when I had to replace the motor mounts nobody else sold them beside lexus so no aftermarket places. Then I called 5 Lexus dealers in the area and they all gave me different price on the mounts. I replaced them and my car felt like brand new. This is true you don't even know how good your car runs until you replace the mounts.

Quick Reply: How can you tell if you have bad engine/tranny mounts?