GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

tranny problem

Old 03-19-07, 09:31 PM
resen323
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

anybody out there have tranny problems. Automatic tranny, when starting car
in the morning and then shifting to drive the car jumps. then when driving and coming to a stop the car feels like its going to shut off but then returns to idle. please let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-20-07, 12:31 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

how many miles are on ur car??

maybe you should consider doing a tranny flush/ also changing your tranny fluid?
Old 03-20-07, 02:49 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Have you checked the trans fluid? Make sure the car is fully warmed up from driving around and check the fluid while the engine is running. Should have a reddish tint to it.
Old 03-20-07, 07:03 PM
95ARISTO
Rookie

I have somewhat of a similar problem too. However, my car hesitates when I initially step on the gas and also at exactly 55 mph. Are you guys sure that it's the tranny that causing this? When stepping on the brake, sometimes my car shakes a little bit too.
Old 03-21-07, 01:03 AM
resen323
Driver

i just did, i dropped the pan and changed the filter as well. also did the flush. the car has 150,000 miles.
Old 03-21-07, 01:23 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys that are having jerking and stuff with the tranny. Make sure to check your engine and transmission mounts. At 100K+ miles those rubber components are bound to go out on you. Broken mount = motor and tranny hitting or moving too much when you step on gas or shift into gear.
Old 03-21-07, 04:17 PM
threenine
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
You guys that are having jerking and stuff with the tranny. Make sure to check your engine and transmission mounts. At 100K+ miles those rubber components are bound to go out on you. Broken mount = motor and tranny hitting or moving too much when you step on gas or shift into gear.
Hmm...I've noticed a little bit of a jump when I put the car into gear and when I'm at highway speed, I've noticed a bit of a bump if I let my foot off the gas...Could this be what you're referring to? I have a 93 GS 300 with 67k miles. If so, do you have any idea how much this sort of thing costs to repair?
Old 03-24-07, 12:00 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Check your fluid might be low.
Old 03-27-07, 06:29 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the fluid and checking that it's at proper level will likely help, although I doubt are the answers to your symptoms.

The newer Toyota Automatic Transmissions today are much more advanced than many, even mechanics, would ever presume. Similar to the engine, using certain input sensors, the ECU will also determine how the transmission performs.... so the possibilities are endless without further diagnosis and/or process of elimination.

What is your RPM when warming up? What is your RPM while idle in "PARK"? What is your RPM while idle in "DRIVE"? If your car feels like it wants to shut off? That can easily be "Throttle Position Sensor" related, which plays a major role in determining transmission outputs as well as idling problems.

Just a hunch..... it seems like your "TPS" is just slightly off adjustment..... if that's okay, check the "TPS" itself and/or it's wiring.

Sensei
Old 03-27-07, 07:11 PM
threenine
Driver School Candidate

It was explained to me at the dealer the other day that the transmission mounts on Lexus models of the early nineties are far more flexible than many other cars. The guy in the service department told me that they routinely see cars come in with 300k miles that have no need for such a replacement and that the symptoms I described are normal. The issues I described earlier aren't a big deal by any means; I doubt anyone would even notice but me...so hopefully the service department knows what they're talking about.
Old 03-28-07, 08:24 AM
soulsister
Driver School Candidate

Interesting, this is the question that I have been looking for. I have a 95 GS with over 159,+++ and I notice when I put it in gear it jumps, I thought the mounts that were bad, but I am going to try the tranny flush first. I thought it was just my car. Glad but not happy to here I am not alone.
Old 03-30-07, 05:32 PM
resen323
Driver

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
Changing the fluid and checking that it's at proper level will likely help, although I doubt are the answers to your symptoms.

The newer Toyota Automatic Transmissions today are much more advanced than many, even mechanics, would ever presume. Similar to the engine, using certain input sensors, the ECU will also determine how the transmission performs.... so the possibilities are endless without further diagnosis and/or process of elimination.

What is your RPM when warming up? What is your RPM while idle in "PARK"? What is your RPM while idle in "DRIVE"? If your car feels like it wants to shut off? That can easily be "Throttle Position Sensor" related, which plays a major role in determining transmission outputs as well as idling problems.

Just a hunch..... it seems like your "TPS" is just slightly off adjustment..... if that's okay, check the "TPS" itself and/or it's wiring.

Sensei
im going to try adjusting the tps hopefully that would work.
Old 03-31-07, 11:27 AM
bigfat
Driver School Candidate

mine jumps only when cold. after its warmed up it's fine. i'm guessing because of the higher rpms when the engine is cold pushes the car making it jump forward when u shift into drive.
Old 04-20-07, 03:12 PM
resen323
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by resen323
anybody out there have tranny problems. Automatic tranny, when starting car
in the morning and then shifting to drive the car jumps. then when driving and coming to a stop the car feels like its going to shut off but then returns to idle. please let me know what you guys think.
i just found out the problem i was having with my car. i dropped the tranny pan and removed the filter. removed the valve body and checked for clogging or something out of place. checked out fine. I then removed the lock up solenoid and checked if it was operating properly, just put battery voltage to it and it did not move at all. so i special ordered the lock up solenoid from toyota. the next day i got the part and put everything back together. drove the car, had no more problems with it.
Old 04-22-07, 10:59 AM
20lexgs20
Driver School Candidate

Hey, my car was having the same problem, but it got so bad to the point of now, when i put the car in gear, it does shut off. How much was the part, and how hard was it to change out? I was thinking of buying a different transmission, but if this part can help me not have to do that i would love it.