GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 09:34 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Sleeper

And now for something different. Here are a few snaps of my latest setup. Comments are welcome, but it was built over 2 days (nights actually) after much thought on design and functionality. Keep in mind, my car is 90% race car at this point, even though I drive her every day.

Without further adieu.. the unveiling

The only one I know of V mounted.. any other knowledge PLEASE post.
Old 09-13-06, 11:30 PM
nakedterro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it a LOT mate! Will be interested to see the intake temp data after a couple of runs around a track, as well as water temp - fmic are great, but blocking flow of air around the radiator is definitely a bad thing!

love the twins, though interested to know why you've run the inlet pipes into a single pod instead of running a pair of them?
Old 09-13-06, 11:40 PM
Lexus Boy
Lead Lap

WOW!!!!!!
Old 09-13-06, 11:42 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Thats Sick E... is that an intercooler off a starion... or for a DSM
loving the set up tho...
Old 09-13-06, 11:47 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nakedterro
love the twins, though interested to know why you've run the inlet pipes into a single pod instead of running a pair of them?
Thanks. The decision for a single filter was mainly financial, but also had to do with intake air temps and spatial management. It is a smooth transition from 2 2" pipes into one 3" and the one filter is right above a duct I've cut that used to route the dual pipes to the FMIC. I also used to run 2 BOVs, one Sard r2d2 and one GReddy Type S. No room for a second intake at that time.

The cooling efficiency on course has improved a lot. Used to be after only 2 laps with the FMIC I was pegging the coolant alarm at 215*F. Now I'm out for a 5 minute session and she MAY creep to 200*. I'm still on the stock MK4 rad, so that will definitely improve more..also when I add a second filler location to bleed the cooling system properly and throw in the RedLine WaterWetter supercoolant additive it will get better and better. I'm happy right now. Idle temp is 180*F and hwy cruising is 172-175*. I'm running a SaRD rad cap and thermostat (68*C)
Old 09-13-06, 11:51 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nyARISTO
Thats Sick E... is that an intercooler off a starion... or for a DSM
loving the set up tho...
Mustang ProCharger.

I had it laying around after I built a Skyline size FMIC and piping on the guy's 'stang. Fit perfectly for me and should flow enough CFM to keep me happy for a bit. If it heat soaks, I'll probably look into meth injection for the hot days on course.
Old 09-14-06, 08:27 AM
El Captain
Lead Lap

It takes some big marbles to do what you did! Your truely one of the only 1st gen V mounts iv ever seen! Congrats! Keep it up and let us know how she runs?
Old 09-14-06, 10:24 AM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

very impressive setup
Old 09-14-06, 12:18 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Totally SIck Sick Sick Sick
Hey what suspention r u using?
How does it handle?
Old 09-14-06, 05:10 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Capt.. she runs very well. The short charge piping gets it up and going quickly. The cooling efficency has increased a lot over the standard FMIC setup.

Warrior.. Thanks

Plkyone.. Im on Racing Logic coilovers. Height and damper adjustable, 4 turns full soft to full stiff. Very compliant, can take the wife around town set on 2 turns, then straight to the track set on 3/3.5 turns. The coilovers are excellent, lately I have been fine tuning the handling with alignment specs.. trying different toe settings..etc.
Old 09-14-06, 06:32 PM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Super SICK setup man. i'm diggin that hood.

Lets see some pics on the inside
Old 09-14-06, 09:34 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Thanks to my sponsor John (Ferd) for the work on the hood. That was done start to finish in about 5 hours. He is a local metalworking artist and has also started his own clothing company with motorsports as the primary subject. FERDWear.

Interior pics.. sure. These are from a show a few weeks ago here in MB. My car was in the FERDWear booth along with a friend's 507awhp r33 gtr vspec.

hmm.. I guess she cleans up pretty good.

Full set of SAGA gauges, including a tachometer in place of the factory one. HVAC moved into the glove box where I also placed the MBC (manual boost controller). Factory radio should be gone soon.

Old 09-14-06, 09:38 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Thats freakin awesome bro. Congrats on the GS, I remember back when you were N/A and telling us about how much of a headache it was when you drove with just headers on the way to the exhaust shop, hahaha.
Old 09-14-06, 09:49 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Thanks Abear.. she has come a long way in the past year.

You sure that is me your are talking about? I never had headers and I built all my exhausts (3 so far) from scratch. Sounds like EricGS300.. he had a Black GS, HP Evos, headers, Kaaz LSD (now mine hehehe). I think I remember him saying that.

**edit.. I may have mentioned about driving with just the open twin 2.5" downpipes. That was actually kinda cool on decel.. turbo whistle out the yin yang.. but with the auto trans it was REALLY LOUD accelerating slowly. I had to do that for about 2 days before I could find the time to finish the dual exhaust.
Old 09-14-06, 10:35 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Epik
Thanks Abear.. she has come a long way in the past year.

You sure that is me your are talking about? I never had headers and I built all my exhausts (3 so far) from scratch. Sounds like EricGS300.. he had a Black GS, HP Evos, headers, Kaaz LSD (now mine hehehe). I think I remember him saying that.

**edit.. I may have mentioned about driving with just the open twin 2.5" downpipes. That was actually kinda cool on decel.. turbo whistle out the yin yang.. but with the auto trans it was REALLY LOUD accelerating slowly. I had to do that for about 2 days before I could find the time to finish the dual exhaust.
Yeah, maybe I was getting the storys mixed up..is it bad that my memory is fading and Im only 20?

Quick Reply: Sleeper