GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Infamous 1st Gen TRAC problem (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 01:56 PM
bguild
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am selling a bunch of TRAC parts in 1st Gen classifieds if anyone is interested. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...02#post3432702
Old 10-21-09, 04:41 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

i have the same problem now but only after replacing my rear end the light would come on first thing in the morning but the rest of the day it will stay off....idk whats wrong ??????
Old 11-12-09, 06:51 PM
Stolen
Driver

Originally Posted by bguild
I am selling a bunch of TRAC parts in 1st Gen classifieds if anyone is interested. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...02#post3432702
Hey thumbs up on at least trying to fix this problem. I have the same problem, and everyone says to just ignore it. It's hard to though. That stupid "Whomp","Whomp" sound as you first start the car and continues to do the same as you roll forward about 12 times. These cars suck in the snow w/o trac. control. I know I live in NYC and dread it every winter, (those lucky S.O.B.'s in CA) just kidding CA guys. The worst part is another 2 lights on in the dash, only w the check engine if thats on. Thanks anyway man for giving it a try!!!
Old 05-18-14, 08:51 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to post to this old thread because I was actually looking for a solution last night and was getting bummed with the lack of solutions to this problem.

I performed a semi-flush of the brake fluid by sucking all the old fluid out and putting in new. When I did this the Brake warning light came on and then the TRAC light came on seconds later.

The problem was the float was stuck in the down position in the reservoir. I simply stuck a clean screwdriver down in there and gently pulled the float back up.

Brake light went out and the subsequent TRAC light never shows up.

Problem fixed!

Hope this helps someone.
Old 04-06-20, 12:24 PM
s888
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I think I should renew this thread and thank You guys, for leading me to solve this problem . I've had the same problem described above, still coming back 43 and 54 TRAC codes in my 1994 GS300 with 270 kkm. Everything works fine except TRAC...
The solution was really simple, but from the beginning:
1. I was trying to bleeding the system but problem was quickly coming back.
2. I have changed TRAC pump with accumulator and problem came back in 3 days.
3. I have completely flushed all brake system and filled with new liquid, and still problem was coming back.
4. I have changed TRAC actuator and still the same.
Finally I have decided to open my old actuator for cleaning and I have noticed two important things. Some of the strainers inside the valves were clogged, so I cleaned them, but more important thing was about the little springs inside the valves. The springs with the tiny ***** should close the valves and keep the high pressure in the system. I have noticed that the springs had no proper length, so I extended the spring more 2mm (from 12mm to 14mm length). I think the most important springs are in the middle valve and the pressure control valve under 10mm hex socked screw.
Now everything works fine.
To open TRAC I have used adjustable clamp wrench and to open valve covers used sharp knife.
Hope this help someone, good luck!

Last edited by s888; 04-07-20 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joewitafro (04-09-20)
Old 04-07-20, 03:47 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s888
Hi, I think I should renew this thread and thank You guys, for leading me to solve this problem . I've had the same problem described above, still coming back 43 and 54 TRAC codes in my 1994 GS300 with 270 kkm. Everything works fine except TRAC...
The solution was really simple, but from the beginning:
1. I was trying to bleeding the system but problem was quickly coming back.
2. I have changed TRAC pump with accumulator and problem came back in 3 days.
3. I have completely flushed all brake system and filled with new liquid, and still problem was coming back.
4. I have changed TRAC actuator and still the same.
Finally I have decided to open my old actuator for cleaning and I have noticed two important things. Some of the strainers inside the valves were clogged, so I cleaned them, but more important thing was about the little springs inside the valves. The springs with the tiny ***** should close the valves and keep the high pressure in the system. I have noticed that the springs had no proper length, so I extended the spring more 2mm (from 12mm to 14mm length). I think the most important springs are in the middle valve and the pressure control valve under 10mm hex socked screw.
Now everything works fine.
To open TRAC I have used adjustable clamp wrench and to open valve covers used sharp knife.
Hope this help someone, good luck!
Thanks for the information!!! Did you take any pictures of the process?
Old 04-10-20, 05:55 AM
s888
Driver School Candidate

OK, so, maybe I will try to create little guide for this thread.
Many of us had TRAC problem, but no one solved permanently or hasn't described here the solution.
It is look like responsible are small springs of poor quality inside the valves. Springs fails, whole TRAC system is useless.
We have 4 valves here, but most important are TRAC Pump Cut Valve and Pressure Valve. This Two should keep the pressure of accumulator.

GS300 TRAC Actuator
Old 04-10-20, 06:37 AM
s888
Driver School Candidate

To repair this You have to:
1. Dismount TRAC Actuator from the car and put it in a bench vice.
2. Unscrew heptagon head four screws using adjustable clamp wrench.

GS300 TRAC Actuator disassembly

3. Release Pressure Valve 10mm hex socked screw.

4. Disassembly TRAC Actuator.

5. Clean clogged valve strainers, clean TRAC Actuator body fluid lines.

6. Open the valves, You can use a sharp knife.

7. Clean valves inside, extend or replace little springs.

8. Disassembly and clean Pressure Valve.

9. Extend or replace little spring.
10. Assembly TRAC Actuator.
Old 04-10-20, 07:07 AM
s888
Driver School Candidate

One more thing about those springs. For quick repair I have extend them and everything works well right now. But I am afraid the problem will come back in the future, so the springs should be replaced.

Original spring have dimensions: D=4,2mm d=2,8mm and length about L=14mm, so I am looking for a new ones.
I hope this helped someone