GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Put a bra on the front, or repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 11:20 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Put a bra on the front, or repaint?

My front bumper...well it's been scratched and scraped over the years. Would you guys recommend getting a black leather bra for it? It's a white car, or would you suggest getting it repainted? The bra is under 200, gettin it painted is 300. I wanna spend the least amount of money as possible.
Old 09-29-05, 09:41 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgh31386
My front bumper...well it's been scratched and scraped over the years. Would you guys recommend getting a black leather bra for it? It's a white car, or would you suggest getting it repainted? The bra is under 200, gettin it painted is 300. I wanna spend the least amount of money as possible.

The proper way to doing it would be to paint and then clear bra. That is the most effective way, but it is also the most costly method. Just take your time and do what you can. I plan to clear bra it because my black car will chip up like no other if I don't.
Old 09-29-05, 03:23 PM
gsWarrior
Pole Position

not a fan of bra's on cars - i say repaint
Old 09-29-05, 03:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgh31386
My front bumper...well it's been scratched and scraped over the years. Would you guys recommend getting a black leather bra for it? It's a white car...
Getting a bra is fine. I had a white car and did the same.

But if there is only a $100 difference between paint and bra, get it painted. My car had pearl white which would have cost $600-700. If yours will only cost $300, get it painted, and perhaps get a clear bra to protect it longer.
Old 09-29-05, 04:26 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexAristo
The proper way to doing it would be to paint and then clear bra.
Depends on each person'd definition of proper. Some just do not want a layer of anything on their paint.

Still, that LexAristo suggests is what I would do. It will not be the cheapest though.

The only thing I am not sure about your question is that you said $200 for bra, $300 for paint, but you want to spend the least amount of $ as possible. Well, the third criteria answers your question for you.

Old 09-30-05, 10:23 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I see a car with a bra on it I just assume their front bumper is damaged in some way. Your front bumper can't be worse than mine.
Old 09-30-05, 02:16 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

my mom has a bra on her Infiniti FX35 and it looks clean, the car is silver, bra is black. My dad had a bra on his 98? GS300, it also looked very clean. My parent bought the bra's right after they bought the cars, to protect the bumber. Of course with an old car the bumper already has scratches and knicks and other stuff. I would paint and clear bra, Ive never seen a 1st gen with a bra on it, and personally I dont think itll look all that great.
Old 10-02-05, 01:53 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get both, you said you dont want to spend a lot of money, but spending it now will save you later. Get it repainted, then either get a bra (to protect the paint from further damaging) or get that clear tape-like is growing more more popular. It functions the same as a bra, but it's clear and applies to you'r car such as a decall would.
Old 10-03-05, 11:31 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd paint it... bras are so 80s.

Also, a "quick fix" like this can lead to other "deferred maintenance" items. I like to stay on top of stuff like this- otherwise, in a year you'll be thinking "man, I have all this stuff that needs to be fixed- front bumper, check engine light, bald tires, cracking leather seats..." Before you know it, your car has gone seriously downhill and it'll cost a grip to fix it all.
Old 10-03-05, 01:41 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I'd paint it... bras are so 80s.

Also, a "quick fix" like this can lead to other "deferred maintenance" items. I like to stay on top of stuff like this- otherwise, in a year you'll be thinking "man, I have all this stuff that needs to be fixed- front bumper, check engine light, bald tires, cracking leather seats..." Before you know it, your car has gone seriously downhill and it'll cost a grip to fix it all.
What are you talking about? I dont get it? Are you saying a bra is going to cause all of these problems, because if you are I believe you are wrong. My moms car is in Tip Top shape, and everytime my dad and I wash it we take the bra off and it looks like a brand new bumper, and her car is 2 years old. The same was with my dads 98 GS3, but he doesnt have that anymore and who knows what happened to it
I do agree with you though, I think the car should be painted, I think it'll look kinda wierd with a bra on. Some cars look good with them, some cars dont. My opinion.
Old 10-03-05, 05:05 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Huh? No I didn't mean that the bra itself would cause issues....

My point was that covering damage with a bra is like sweeping dust under the rug - it's still there. I've seen too many people take the cheap-and-dirty way out for "cover-up" repairs like this. Before you know it you've got side moldings attached with Duct tape, speakers that are blown, doors that don't open from the inside... you get the idea.

I've been down this path myself, and eventually you end up with a car which you must sell very cheaply or go through a long and expensive list of repairs. If there's one thing I hate on a car, it's a "work around" - meaning you compensate for the repair you don't want to make by doing another series of steps to make the thing operate.

I'm not a sixteen year old kid driving grandma's old Buick... if something on my car breaks, I fix it.
Old 10-03-05, 09:53 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Just like the "Save the Troops" magnets. Bras trap moisture. (please contribute to the troops)

I see every make of car driving down the street with magents and bras.......and they ALL trap moisture. The paint cracks and has to be repaired.

1. Bras and magnets are BAD
2. YES...you have to repaint.
3. Make sure you go to a reputable shop...(Not Earl Sheib, Macco, etc.)

Just like when you wear a glove, or a sock for a a few days more than you should have....its gonna stink and cause problems.

Bras = bad.

although.....if your an **** person....and you remove the bra once a week to wash underneath.....NO ....you wont have a problem.
....but who the hell does this anyway?

Last edited by XanaX00SC; 10-03-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-03-05, 11:20 PM
kgh31386
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha. well my car is pearle white with the tannish bottom trim. It's 175 to paint that bottom half, and 175 for the white part. I think it'll just get the bottom trim painted.
Old 10-04-05, 08:46 AM
kuzini
Rookie

Default repaint

Just Repaint it you would feel better, and it would look better that's what i"ll do
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-05, 01:18 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

i do this but im not ****, i just know you have to keep the paint clean and dry and also let it breathe

Quick Reply: Put a bra on the front, or repaint?