GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What is with the value of our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-03, 06:27 PM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is with the value of our cars?

I have been searching for 2nd generation GS's and have narrowed my search to CPO 2000 silver GS300 platinum editions or just an 01 silver with black interior. I found a 00 platinum edition everything I wanted in my price range the other day and went to test drive it today. It had only 26k and it was a CPO they were asking $26995. It was decently clean, had some scratches here and there, just one bad one on the hood I would have to have fixed but in that price range I thought I still may be able to get it somehow. But its not gonna happen, they told me the best absolute best price they could give me for my 95 GS (with the stock wheels and stock equipment back on) was $7000 tellin me $6500 maybe an extra nickel, he was reluctant to tell me at first because he knew it was rediculous because he seen how nice my car was and told me first thing that it would not be wise to trade it in here. My car is very clean and only has 81k miles with every option. Just p!sses me off because I have had it appraised at a couple other places and they were still much higher Carmax was about $8000 and another dealer was closer to $10000 and figured a Lexus dealer would give me more of a fair price. One reason this dealer was so low is because of the type of Lexus Dealer it was and the area, they had no vehicles under 99's and only vehicles they could certify. It is also in a rich area of the north suburbs of chicago, area kind of where Michael Jordan and all the sports players live so they have no used car market like that. I just don't get it, our cars are supposed to hold somekind of value and with only 23k more miles on the car since I bought it and its value drops 15 grand. I know if I sell it out right I will get a decent amount for it but I just don't get why a Lexus dealer would even offer me such a low wholesale price. Lexus site tells you to go to Kelley Blue Book to get the value of your trade in(which I go there a lot anyway) and kbb.com says anywhere from 10k to under 12k would be the trade in value of your car, I would expect them to come lower but 4 to 5 grand lower its crazy. At least I am still somewhat happy with my car.................................
Old 12-26-03, 06:56 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I know what you mean.

I was at the dealership getting my car serviced and starting looking at a newer gs and the sales man told me the same thing,$6500.I don't mean to brag, but my car is really clean and to offer me $6500 for my car is an insult.He probably thought I had sucker written across my forehead.I didn't really care because I was just burning time while my mech. serviced my car.If you really want a 2nd gen gs then sell your car on your own and get one, otherwise mod the s--t out of your clean gs3.
Old 12-29-03, 06:58 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default Values

I would sell it out right, I just need to put some money into it like, tune up, maybe shocks/struts, have a small exhaust leak, and power antenae and just don't really feel like doin it. It just doesn't make sense to me because of how these cars are supposed to hold somekind of value and its seems like the same story as the american cars me or any of my family have owned not worth crap after a few years. I am gonna try 1 or 2 more dealers and see what happens, if I don't get a decent amout I will just sell it out right closer to spring, when I can drive my other car.
Old 12-29-03, 05:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

The 1st Gen dilema was one of the reasons I sold mine. Just like you and Johnee my car was CLEAN (and thats tough with Navy Blue), and it was in great shape, but the hard truth that had to hit me was that the 2nd Gen is now flooding the market (remember these cars went out on leases, etc in late 1997!)

So that puts us 1st Gen owners in a REAL pickle!! Remember that if your gonna trade in, you have to cover your **** on TWO ENDS!!! On the car your buying (getting a good low price), AND the car your selling (getting a good high price). Your best bet is to sell your car private, those repair items could be fixed for a couple hundred bucks

Antennae- maybe 100-150 (get it used)
Exhaust leak- 50-100??
struts- the KYBs are like 200-250 for the set

Trust me, get it up to 100% mechanical condition to match its cosmetic and sell it personal seller, good luck
Old 12-30-03, 07:10 AM
SLVRGS
Lead Lap

Default 1st generations

I will do all that stuff if I have to, its just the few dealers I have taken my car to don't know about the maintenance. We'll see what happens, I will probably keep my 17's and put the stock 16's back on it, probably take the TV and stereo stuff out, the wheels mainly because I am not sure I want anybody rockin my car in my area for the price they are gonna pay and my new GS will need somethin before the 20's. I have a couple options I can try with dealer friends I have but got a new car itch and can't be out of my car for long right now, I have done my homework so I won't do anything stupid, it is just crazy how the values have decreased so much.
Old 01-02-04, 11:40 AM
Marx
Rookie

I wouldn't be too mad at the dealership. I've worked in the Automotive business for many years, and you are never, ever going to get what you want for your trade (and if you do, they probally packed the $ somewhere else, like in your sales price.)

It makes sense if you look at it from a dealers perspective. You are trying to sell them a car that is a already a generation old and soon to be 2 generations old. The first Gen GS3 wan't all that popular to begin with, (i.e. not a lot of people know about them), to old for Lexus to certify, to many miles for most big non-Lexus dealerships to certify sell except Carmax might make it a "Valumax" which is just powertrain warranty, hence, they offered you more for it

So all the dealer has left to do with your trade is to truck it off to an auction to let the smaller, shadier dealerships bid on it, and those dealers are not going to spend a lot of money to buy that car.

Sell it if you can, or else find a really good deal on your new GS, so that you don't feel so bad.