GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Rotor Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 08:24 AM
BlazeGS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Recommendation

I just installed my second set of rotors in less than 6 months, so I thought I would post my learnings to hopefully help someone else.

I bought my car 6 months ago, and at the time it had some pulsing when the brakes were applied. I assumed it was simply warped rotors which are easily replaced. So, I got online and started searching as well as calling the local dealer. Lexus dealers want roughly $500 per axle to replace rotors, which is absolutely absurd. No one in their right mind would or should pay $1000 to just replace rotors. So I looked on this forum and many seemed to have decent luck on ebay.

So I bought all new rotors and pads off ebay (the pads were Axxis Metal Matrix pads - used them on my 300ZX and liked them). I bought the rotors from Time_N_Money on ebay, and they looked good when I got them. Great price too - I think I paid less than $200 for all 4. Unfortunately, the rotors were warped and only made the problem worse when I installed them. I honestly thought there was something else wrong with the car as these were supposed to be new rotors. So, I took the front two in to have them turned, and that improved the problem but it didn't go away.

I was always told that since very little stopping power comes from the rear rotors, if they are warped it won't matter much. How wrong that is. I took the rears in to have them turned, and they were below minimum thickness - obviously they were used, reconditioned rotors. So, I decided at this point to junk the rotors I got off ebay and buy new from someone more reputable.

My new rotors are from turboimport.com. Other message boards had good feedback on these guys, and I have to say I am very satisfied. I purchased all 4 rotors - slotted and dimpled and zinc coated to prevent rust, and they cost me $300. I also bought and installed braided steel brake lines.

Here's my impression of the new setup: brake feel is amazingly improved with the new rotors and braided steel lines. The rotors themselves are great, no warpage. They look great, and they work great. The stainless steel lines were fairly easy to install myself and they improve pedal feel immensely. I feel like I am driving a sports car once again when applying the brakes.

I don't have an opinion yet on the durability of the turboimport rotors, but from what I can tell they should be fine. They are made by Bradi which is a well respected brand, much like Brembo.

If anyone has any questions about the installation process or anything else with this brake setup, don't hesitate to reply. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

And, last but not least, brakes are probably one of the easiest things to replace on this car outside of the air filter for the do it yourselfer. If you don't want to do it, hire the teenager down the street to do it. It is hard to mess up, and frankly it will save you a lot of money over what the dealer will charge. Take the money you would pay the dealer or another brake shop and put that into better brakes.
Old 12-17-03, 09:17 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Rotor Recommendation

Great writeup man, I'm actually having my mechanic do my pads all the way around this weekend!

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-17-03, 10:37 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Good work bro!

BTW I'm running on Bradi's as well.

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-17-03 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-17-03, 01:08 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Nice write-up When I need to change my rotors I will look into the Bradi's. How much were the brake lines? I was thinking about doing this just because the stock lines look old .
Old 12-17-03, 02:27 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Great info! This might be next on my list.
Any pics?
Old 12-17-03, 05:13 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Nice write-up When I need to change my rotors I will look into the Bradi's. How much were the brake lines? I was thinking about doing this just because the stock lines look old .
Website has the brakelines for 99.00.
Old 12-19-03, 06:01 AM
BlazeGS3
Rookie

I got a little busy the last couple of days so I've been away from the site, but thanks all for the comments. I'll try to take some pics this weekend and post.

My next writeup will be on replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap. Overall an easy 2-3 hour job if you have some patience and are mildly mechanically inclined, and doing it yourself saves a ton of money.
Old 12-19-03, 08:28 AM
Mhathcock
Driver School Candidate

Great writeup BlazeGS3! I feel your pain. But, I actually had good results from my Ebay buy. My rotors were cross-drilled, slotted, and silver anodized. I got all four for $150 including shipping. I've been running them for a few months now and they are flawless and they look great sitting behind my wheels. I also used the Axxiss Metal Master pads and they are great. The company name is Unit Imports and the email address is Sales@Unitimports.com. These guys are very helpful and they offer great buys on great products. The rotors can also be ordered in red and gold anodized finishes. Send me a message if anyone has any questions on these.
Old 12-19-03, 12:42 PM
BlazeGS3
Rookie

mhathcock - glad to see you got a great deal - much cheaper than what I paid. Any idea what brand of rotors they are?
Old 12-19-03, 01:18 PM
Mhathcock
Driver School Candidate

I'll going to my shop this weekend and I will take a look at the boxes. I kept all the old rotors in the new boxes just in case. I'll get back to you by Monday.