Great Deals Share "great deals" that you have found online or in local stores.

One of those rare deals (HU)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 05:32 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default One of those rare deals (HU)

Basically www.SoundDomain.com will have a clearance sale on Rockford Fosgate headunits that are built by Denon. The ballpark price will be around $350 and the regular retail is $1900. I don't need a Headunit and I am buying one just because. I'll post an update when I see them on sale.

"Rockford Fosgate Japan released the RFX-8250 and 8240 in late 1999, early 2000.
They decks are licensed from Denon. Rebadged as Rf head units.

the 8250 is similar to the Original Denon A1N with the 20bit DAC. the Newer A1N is full 24bt 192Mgz DAC. Retail in Japan was $250,000 YEN. It has been lowered over the past coupel years and down to $190,000 YEN Now.

The finish is an aluminum finish, like a brushed aluminum look. The "TI" model would be more of a champegn color.

The RFX8240 is a Denon DCT 1000R. 1bit DAC, with speaker level out as well as RCA. The 1000R was sold in the US a long time ago, but not with an Alum finish.

These decks were NEVER slated for release in the US b/c the US has little to no highend market. But they also didnt sell extremely well In Japan either b/c THEY are a Denon and why pay money for something that says "rockford fosgate" when You can own the real thing.

fast fwd to spring 2002, Rockford offers select reps the chance to sell Upper end RF dealers the Platinum series head units as a BUY now (prepay), Pay in full Advance option. all the decks were converted to US tuner specs.
Dealer buy now price was around $1200.00 for the RFX8250. (BUy Now means You could not buy product on Payment Terms or payment options, which majority of products are purchased)

Only a very small handful were sold

So as initially thought, the High end head unit sales in the US are next to nothing--RF now has a surplus of these coverted head units sitting at their wharehouse and need to clear inventory. They thought they could sell more than they did, Thus proving The Japanese correct about the US highend Market.

SO for roughly $350, You can get Denon quality transport
and a badass head unit."
Old 12-22-03, 08:24 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: One of those rare deals (HU)

Originally posted by retrodrive
Basically www.SoundDomain.com will have a clearance sale on Rockford Fosgate headunits that are built by Denon. The ballpark price will be around $350 and the regular retail is $1900. I don't need a Headunit and I am buying one just because. I'll post an update when I see them on sale.

"Rockford Fosgate Japan released the RFX-8250 and 8240 in late 1999, early 2000.
and a badass head unit."
So this can replace my Nak head unit and offers the same functions and some? If yes, I need to get one too!!
Old 12-22-03, 09:40 PM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics?
Old 12-22-03, 10:13 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: One of those rare deals (HU)

Retro,

The japanese nailed it on the head. From most of the installs that I've seen in CAE, AS&Security - it's mostly midrange stuff. The Japanese soundoffs have more high end installs than I can shake a stick at. Brax is commonplace as well as the diehard McIntosh fans over in the East. I think the best years for car audio in the US was probably from '96 to '98. After that it seemed like it was slowly downhill. Brax did help it out for a bit but I think the "sleeper" right now is TRU tech.

Alpine F#1 didn't do too hot in the US. Velodyne is gone. Sony didn't come out with their latest edition/successor of the XESZ50. What else am I missing?

Percy

Originally posted by retrodrive

the 8250 is similar to the Original Denon A1N with the 20bit DAC. the Newer A1N is full 24bt 192Mgz DAC. Retail in Japan was $250,000 YEN. It has been lowered over the past coupel years and down to $190,000 YEN Now.

The finish is an aluminum finish, like a brushed aluminum look. The "TI" model would be more of a champegn color.

The RFX8240 is a Denon DCT 1000R. 1bit DAC, with speaker level out as well as RCA. The 1000R was sold in the US a long time ago, but not with an Alum finish.

These decks were NEVER slated for release in the US b/c the US has little to no highend market. But they also didnt sell extremely well In Japan either b/c THEY are a Denon and why pay money for something that says "rockford fosgate" when You can own the real thing.

fast fwd to spring 2002, Rockford offers select reps the chance to sell Upper end RF dealers the Platinum series head units as a BUY now (prepay), Pay in full Advance option. all the decks were converted to US tuner specs.
Dealer buy now price was around $1200.00 for the RFX8250. (BUy Now means You could not buy product on Payment Terms or payment options, which majority of products are purchased)

Only a very small handful were sold

So as initially thought, the High end head unit sales in the US are next to nothing--RF now has a surplus of these coverted head units sitting at their wharehouse and need to clear inventory. They thought they could sell more than they did, Thus proving The Japanese correct about the US highend Market.

and a badass head unit."
Old 01-04-04, 10:53 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Do you have a link or a model number to search for?
Old 01-05-04, 04:23 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Nevermind, I found it on a hot deal forum.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCRFX8250TI

What I want to know is how retrodrive knew about this before anybody else...
Old 01-05-04, 05:18 PM
chuckchung
Driver

lets say i'm considering this, how much should i expect to have to spend on an external amp that would be good enough to even be considered to be paired with this HU?
Old 01-05-04, 07:38 PM
GaryDell
Rookie

Not much. Don't let anyone convince you that you absolutely need a Brax/McIntosh/Esoteric/anything to have a great sounding system.
Old 01-05-04, 07:57 PM
chuckchung
Driver

can anyone recommend/give me an example of amps that would work well with this high end HU? THANKS
Old 01-05-04, 08:45 PM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

You are bound to get plenty of differing opinions on what to use and what not to use...I think an amp by the likes of Arc Audio, JL, Butler, DEI, or something like that would do the headunit justice. I got my arc 2100cxl for $200 on ebay, so you aren't looking at too rediculous an investment. Just my .02
Old 01-05-04, 11:51 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~...e~t~CD+Players

ITS ON!
Old 01-06-04, 04:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by Overclocker
Nevermind, I found it on a hot deal forum.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCRFX8250TI

What I want to know is how retrodrive knew about this before anybody else...
Wolff, are you going to jump on this deal right away? If you are maybe you can order two and I can pay you this weekend. Not joking.
Old 01-06-04, 11:20 AM
GS4ADRLexo
Driver

I just ordered one last night...I'll let you guys know how it goes. I am going to be running it with the rest of my system that I have now; Arc Audio 2100cxl powering Diamond Hex 6.5" components in the front and an Acr 1500dr powering a pair of Eclipse Aluminums. I have Diamond Hex 5.25" in the back right now, but since the headunit doesn't have onboard amplification I don't have a way to power them with the new headunit. Not really worried about it...I was never a huge fan of rear fill in the first place. If I feel the need for it I suppose I'll buy an Arc 2050cxl in the future for the rear. With the Rockford headunit going in, could someone recommend for me a good electronic crossover with all the goodies? I always find myself fiddling with my bass/mid/treble settings on the stock unit, and I have a feeling I will be even more picky when it comes to a high end reciever. I'm looking at the Rockford EPX2...it seems like an outstanding unit and I would love to have the brain unit in the dash under the reciever. Some kind of 31 band stereo EQ is always and option as well, but I like to be able to adjust on the fly since my musical tastes are so varied. know that the Orion DEQ-20 is a great unit as well. Any comments are welcome. Thanks guys!
Old 01-06-04, 12:46 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Originally posted by GS4ADRLexo
I'm looking at the Rockford EPX2...it seems like an outstanding unit and I would love to have the brain unit in the dash under the reciever. Some kind of 31 band stereo EQ is always and option as well, but I like to be able to adjust on the fly since my musical tastes are so varied. know that the Orion DEQ-20 is a great unit as well. Any comments are welcome. Thanks guys!
That Rockford unit is very outdated technology. I would strongly recommend Alpine H-700. It has crazy tuning ability. Your system looks pretty good on paper. If you are at one of the meets I'd definetely like to listen to it!

Hameed, let me know if you want the HU. I can buy one for you. PM me with color.
Old 01-06-04, 12:47 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Almost forgoten:

This is the Ti model

Quick Reply: One of those rare deals (HU)