KS Watch Buffs: Come Inside! (Special Offer)

Old 01-23-11, 10:50 AM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Watch Buffs: Come Inside! (Special Offer)

Here's the situation:

I recently put a deposit on a loose stone for an engagement ring through one of the midwest's biggest and most well-respected jewelers, Meierotto's Midwest Jewelry located in Kansas City, MO. In order for the stone to be placed on hold for myself, I had to put down at least 1/3 of the price for the stone. In this case, the stone was priced at $18k w/o tax. Therefore, my deposit was $6k.

However, after speaking with a few other jewelers in the area (one being a close personal friend of my college roommate), and doing some research online, I realized that I had made a huge mistake. For the same price, I could have purchased a bigger and better stone or could have purchased the same stone for a whole lot less. I made my purchase elsewhere for a slightly bigger stone that was better in color and overall clarity for a few thousand less. However, I was still stuck with this credit.

Since the new year began, we've been going to Meierotto's at least twice a week, searching for the perfect diamond and setting. They have signs posted everywhere, saying that their policy is not to refund, but only to exchange. I assumed that this was on purchased goods only and that you can only exchange, being that they are essentially used and cannot be sold unless in absolutely perfect condition. However, the sign failed to state that the deposits are also non-refundable. I had no idea. The deposit I made was on January 13, 2011 at 8pm. They close at 8pm on that day, and we were the last customers in the store, and I know what it feels like to have to wait on those last customers before closing time. Needless to say, I didn't ask about a refund, nor did our sales rep ever mention it to me (i.e. who we later find out is the daughter of the company). After making the purchase, and getting the receipt, we leave the store immediately so they could lock up and it wasn't until I looked at the receipt that I realized that it said that deposits and payments are non-refundable. FMyLife!

I called the following day and asked about a refund, and got the runaround, but basically, it was impossible, as it is their policy. I then decided to see if I could dispute the charge through my CC company, which would allow me to dispute the charge, but would have to launch an investigation b/w the transaction and the store, but I would rather not go through the headache. I haven't gone through with this yet, but will if the sale doesn't fall through, I will go this route.

I had a friend who had put a watch on layaway. Before hand, I had the deposit taken off and stone in exchange for a gift card. He said he could use my deposit to pay off his watch and just pay me instead. When we went in, everything went well, until the gift card being that it was under my name could not be used on the watch that was under his name. Basically, gift cards are non-transferrable. FmyLife x2! He has to purchase with his own money and I'm still stuck.

So here's my proposition:

I'm posting to see if I can gauge any interest. Meierotto's is a huge dealer for some of the most expensive watches that money can buy. From Rolex's, to Panerai's, Bell & Ross, Jacob & Co., Tag Heuer, Breitling, Michele, Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega etc., I figured that this is the only thing that I can sell to recuperate some of my money. I really know nothing about jewelry, except for watches so they can't jerk my chain there. I would use the credit myself, but a ring and a nice watch don't go together in the same month.

If anyone is interested in a high-end watch, I would be more than willing to purchase it for you and will sell it to you for even less than what I paid. For example, if the watch costs $6k or a little more, I will purchase it and sell it to you for $500 less. I swear on my grandfather's grave that I will not steal from you. Hell, I will give you my home address, work address, social security # (not really, but you get the idea). I would like a small deposit (i.e. $100 deposited into my paypal to instill confidence that I won't get screwed once I purchase the watch). Once I see the money in my paypal, let me know what watch you want and I will go pick it up. I will let you know of the retail and haggle it down to as low as I can get it. When the watch arrives, I will take a picture of it and send it to you as well as show you the invoice, etc. Pay me the rest of the money, $500 less and I will ship it out to you same day and insured. (UPS is next door) I would rather eat the small loss and stomach my mistake than go through the headache with disputing the charge. It's not that I can't afford it, because I can, but it's like having a Ferrari and never being able to drive it for whatever reason. So essentially, you have something that is of no use to you.

Help me out brothers!

P.S. Please don't hesitate to buy from Meierotto's jewelry. They are a family owned business and are in general great people. Although I don't agree with their return policy, I do respect it and do see it from their position. Don't let my personal situation take away from the reputation of the store.

Thanks for reading. If this works, it will show once again, that the saying is true, bros before hoes. You guys how no idea how much this means to me.

Cliffs
- Made deposit on loose stone for engagement ring
- Deposit is non-refundable
- Stuck with money for deposit through the store and have no use for
- Will use money to purchase nice watch for a fellow buyer and sell for $500 less
- Need your help!

Selling high priced items need a vouch! Here they are:
- +3 Trader Feedback here on CL
- Gytis and Joe, as well as Garbage85 can vouch for me
- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...-99-tread.html

(Moderators, I know I am essentially selling a gift card, but I will use it to purchase a watch and I have receipts etc. If this is still inappropriate and gets taken down, I understand. At least I tried.)

Last edited by tungo; 01-23-11 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Grammar Mistakes
Old 01-24-11, 08:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Sorry Tungo, as you said this is essentially the same situation as selling a gift card which we don't allow.