Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

AAMCO experience (help to resolve result of "service")

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 03:38 PM
ArtRaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAMCO experience (help to resolve result of "service")

Hi,

I use to service my 2007 ES350 at dealership but now I live over an hour away and simply can't find time to get there. Plus it's kind of expensive for older car.
So today I took it to AAMCO in Kissimmee. All I needed is new spark plugs. Didn't have a single problem with my car just 122k miles and clear understanding that is plugs not dead yet they will be soon.
No single light was on dashboard.
They charged me $330 (after coupon). When I took off their parking lot I was surprised to see all possible alarms on my dashboard. Check engine light, Check VSC and traction control.
I've made a U-turn and gave them back my key to fix it. After 20 min they said that the reason was some upper shaft sensor and they said that I had this problem when I first came but for some reason my check engine light didn't go on. So basically they scanned my car, found that problem but never told me anything until I came back with all those lights.
They said that I need new sensor which cost $120 and they can get in done in 10 minutes. 1.5 hours later I lost my patience. When I asked again what's going on. Now they said that the problem was in sensors plug. On a side of engine one of wires was loose and had bad connection but they couldn't find this part anywhere around so my options was to live my car for a few days (that was on Friday, so at least 3-4 days) or pay them for new sensor and come back some time later when they can find plug they need.
I choose third option. I took my car and left because I don't feel like paying $120 for some sensor that doesn't change anything at all and my original one might be in good working condition because problem was in small wire.

Now, the problem is that after this 6-hour long service I have every single warning light on my dashboard on. Additional to what I had after first attempt to leave I have airbags light on.
Do you guys know what they could do to make this kind of mess? Maybe there is something simply disconnected and I can fix it myself?
I had a great mechanic 5 years ago when I use to live in the same location for 7+ years. Serviced 4 of my cars with him and newer had single problem. But now I move around US every year and simply can't find someone I can trust.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-16, 04:04 PM
ArtRaa
Driver School Candidate

Just opened hood to check what sensor they tried to replace. They didn't even put back my engine cover...
Old 06-03-16, 07:20 PM
jrm7885
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your issues. The problem is most places like that have a bunch of inexperienced morons who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. I would contact the corporate office and let them know what has happened. Demand that they fix your vehicle and tell them you are not going to pay any additional costs. Then have your car checked by a real mechanic to find out what they did wrong. If you they give you any problems call the police to have an incident report made.That way you have proof and documentation of your complaint for when you take them to court. And always keep your self calm. Typical scenario, car goes in for minor work and leaves needing more. They are playing you.
Old 06-04-16, 02:20 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ArtRaa,

First, Welcome to the club.

Second, My best friend live in South Orlando and he told me about the very honest mechanic on that area. I just call him and ask for the phone to past that information to you. If you want to try that mechanic is one of your best way. Also hi is in Kissimmee area. H&H Mechanic Shop (407) 344-4400

I hope and that guy help you with you issue. My friend say that hi is very good, with many years of experience. Maybe AAMCO guy just unplug a wire or connector and need to plug in back the wire or plug and reset your CEL.

Good luck with that.

Last edited by Mcon; 06-04-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 06:26 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder if they put the incorrect spark plugs in it causing the sensors to react negatively. I was just watching a video last night about the bait and switch techniques those shops use just to increase sales. If you no longer have a trusted mechanic in your area, at least require them to save the parts from the service you've had done so you can ensure that the job was done. I do that even with my mechanic that I trust. Call me paranoid, but I refuse to get ripped off.
Old 06-07-16, 11:02 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
I wonder if they put the incorrect spark plugs in it causing the sensors to react negatively. I was just watching a video last night about the bait and switch techniques those shops use just to increase sales. If you no longer have a trusted mechanic in your area, at least require them to save the parts from the service you've had done so you can ensure that the job was done. I do that even with my mechanic that I trust. Call me paranoid, but I refuse to get ripped off.
I do the same. Agree 100% with you.
Old 06-08-16, 11:17 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Take a picture of the missing parts. And lesson to all take a few good under hood pictures before having any work done at a shop.
Next the only thing you need to go back to that shop for is to pick up your parts, do not let them work on the car again. Hopefully the guys friend is knowledgeable and will inspect your car real good and write down what was done to it. I would tell that AAMCO shop that they will pay for what ever the cost is to get your car back up to snuff. That means an expensive shipping company to the dealer if need be. And do like the other guy said about police.