Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

The future of all CL FL Big Meets

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-11, 07:17 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The future of all CL FL Big Meets

As already said many times, big thanks to both Jon and Roger for all the hard work in putting together this great meet. Everybody enjoyed and there was a great turn out.

Now on a more serious note....

I don't know how many of you noticed, but Roger, Gary and Jon for pretty much the ENTIRE meet were chained to the grill and unfortunately missed some pretty epic moments like somebody being brought to tears over BORG WARNER or a certain shoe box episode....for those that put so much time, effort and money into this meet it deters anybody from wanting to put forth that much work again for the future.

The turnout was epic in both cars and people for pretty much a regional meet. Many of you brought stuff in support and for that, we all thank you . Thankfully we had enough food to go around.

Going forward we need to figure out a better method to feed all of us that doesn't require members be chained to the grill for hours at a time. My proposal is the use of one of those catering trucks. They are typically pretty cheap for just burgers, ribs and hotdogs and require both a head count and payment up front. If you sell food tickets prior to the meet you can have both a head count and $ to prepay for all the food. Any additional food could be done on a cash basis with the catering service. That way nobody is left holding the bag, clean up is less and everybody can then enjoy the meet.

Obviously the above would require a substantial size meet to be cost effective, but the turn out yesterday would DEFINITELY suffice as I have done the above with less people and didn't lose a bunch of money.

Last edited by shaodome; 11-14-11 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 07:25 AM
jmf300
Rookie

I agree with that, its kind of a bummer that the head individuals that made all this possible missed some pretty exciting stuff. next time around this should really be something to think about.
Old 11-14-11, 07:31 AM
1jzchris
Pole Position

thats a really good idea.
Old 11-14-11, 07:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I definitely get it. I hosted what, 3 BBQ meets? I was cooking all day. Roger helped out but no one else wanted to spend much time cooking. It does require a commitment. I stopped doing them because I was absolutely drained physically at the end of the day....and dirty from head to toe. I definitely feel for the guys.

I don't like the food truck idea, my experience with those is negative. Crappy tasting food and unsanitary environment. Many of those trucks are just nasty.

Maybe a catering business. We could buy preordered from a BBQ restaurant or have one cook at the park. That costs more though.

Maybe we could simply ask for people to volunteer in shifts of 1 hour a piece. That would work for me.

I'm glad this has come up for discussion cause i want to do another BBQ meet in a couple months. This time with cash prizes for best overall car, best engine build and maybe one for best ice build. I'll need time to plan and find sponsors. With judging and pay-outs of cash, I won't be able to cook all day so a plan for that needs to be in place. So please chime in fellas.

Last edited by Ice350; 11-14-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-14-11, 07:57 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

I say "food truck" loosely, but I mean a professional catering company. There are plenty of companies that do this that honor state food regulations (and i'm sure many shadetree that don't). When we found our catering guy, we interviewed a few first, and had samples of the food. Obviously we wouldn't get home made jerk pork (that **** was amazing) or specialty LRD Chicken Wings, but it was no better/worse than frozen bubba burgers and hot dogs.

With multiple people running the grill you might run into other complications such as undercooked food and that is a nasty liability that nobody wants.
Old 11-14-11, 08:11 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about everything stays the same except we hire someone to do the cooking for the day, could be two or three people. They would still be using OUR supplys so I doubt they can charge an astronomical price.
Old 11-14-11, 08:17 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
how about everything stays the same except we hire someone to do the cooking for the day, could be two or three people. They would still be using OUR supplys so I doubt they can charge an astronomical price.
I like that idea too!
Old 11-14-11, 08:25 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 great idea.
Old 11-14-11, 08:46 AM
olmytsi
Lead Lap

I think some people actualy enjoy staying glued to the grill and makin' sure the food is cooked the right way...i'm pretty sure people would volunteer to take over the grill for 30-40 mins at a time if they were asked to....I would.

Paying a business would make it more expensive and limit the variety of food and it wouldn't be the same!

Last edited by olmytsi; 11-15-11 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 08:55 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we've used a caterer to grill up the food for many of our Orlando CL meets. i recall a BBQ company at one of our last meets. i'll let Wringo chime in since he's organized much of this. but it seemed to work out nicely. good food at a good price.

we could also split it. have a "food truck" cook up the burgers, chicken etc and we can add in any snacks and desserts.
Old 11-14-11, 09:03 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by olmytsi
I think some people actualy enjoy staying glued to the grill and makin sure the food is cooked the right way...i'm pretty sure people would volunteer to take over the grill for 30-49 mims at a time if they were asked to....i would.

Paying a business would make it more expensive and limit the variety of food and it wouldn't be the same!
my point is, it is already expensive for just a few members to supply the amount of food required to feed all of us. It isn't fair for just a few people to shoulder that responsibility, volunteer or not. Did you see how much food Roger brought????? That's a lot of damn chicken! With the size of the meet, you are talking south of $10 a person for food.

Obviously the food wouldn't be the same, but nobody is stopping anybody from bringing additional food! I know I personally would pay for some of that Jerk Pork if the opportunity was there
Old 11-14-11, 09:04 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

I truly do like to cook and appreciate all the kind words of thanks, but I will say that ^^^^^^^^^^ your idea, although seemingly a great one will never work as John, myself and others have done several of these and at the end of the day there are always people who complain$ or dont contribute at all and for the majority who do to get penalized with additional cost would be unrealistic.
The entire premise of these events is to bring unity in a common interest,allow new members to meet and greet and just hang out and show our rides whatever they maybe.

Its my belief that there has to be a way to get a more coherent system of making sure there is fairness to all supporters and participants. The mental labor and actual time to create these events is exhausting and monetarily expensive to the planners and all that attend should realize that the money taken in is only to cover these expenses incurred and speaking for myself and on behalf of LRD who have both been on the short end $ of the stick we need to come up with a better overall plan for these to be more successful and if so even possibly more common.

So to all Loyal CLFL members put on you thinking caps and lets come up with a plan to create the most successful Fl events in the future.

So WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ALL THOUGHTS ARE WELCOME AND REQUESTED.
Old 11-14-11, 09:07 AM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Jordan that's was to overwhelming.it was a huge surprise!!
Old 11-14-11, 09:08 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

alternating shifts of manning the grill?
Old 11-14-11, 09:32 AM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 98$c300
Jordan that's was to overwhelming.it was a huge surprise!!
You have one hell of a lady there my friend. Good thing you locked that up Congrats to the both of you.

Quick Reply: The future of all CL FL Big Meets