Florida Lexus Club The place for Florida Lexus enthusiasts

Florida to become 2nd state to ban radar detectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 06:08 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wringo
I don't think this will fly!
I'll take D's word for it!
Old 03-12-07, 06:23 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Let them ban all they want. I'm still running my Valentine.

Besides, they'll never find it installed inside my cluster.

Old 03-13-07, 09:51 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Virginia, Police have what is called basically a radar detector detector. So if you have one, and it is on in your vehicle, Police will know about it and pull you over for it. Then they have a right to take it from you and write you a citation. Most Laser/Radar detectors have VG2 protection that supposedly protect you from the Police detecting your detector, but now they are coming out with a new frequency to beat the VG2 protection. Being that I am Between Maryland and Florida a lot, and I live 10 minutes from Northern Virginia, I have seen first hand Police pull people over for just having the radar detector on, not even visible, perhaps under the seat and plugged in.

It is an idiotic law. Just like speeding cameras, and redlight cameras. All just to generate revenue for state. Washington, DC has speeding cameras, and since they were installed, radar detector, cell phone and speeding camera violation has made the DC government a lot of money! Prepare folks, because I think this law will in fact pass.
Old 03-13-07, 09:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by iobidder
In Virginia, Police have what is called basically a radar detector detector. So if you have one, and it is on in your vehicle, Police will know about it and pull you over for it. Then they have a right to take it from you and write you a citation. Most Laser/Radar detectors have VG2 protection that supposedly protect you from the Police detecting your detector, but now they are coming out with a new frequency to beat the VG2 protection. Being that I am Between Maryland and Florida a lot, and I live 10 minutes from Northern Virginia, I have seen first hand Police pull people over for just having the radar detector on, not even visible, perhaps under the seat and plugged in.

It is an idiotic law. Just like speeding cameras, and redlight cameras. All just to generate revenue for state. Washington, DC has speeding cameras, and since they were installed, radar detector, cell phone and speeding camera violation has made the DC government a lot of money! Prepare folks, because I think this law will in fact pass.
Having grown up in Miami and going to college and living in DC after college and before coming to Mexico, those red light cameras definitely hit you hard. In NoVa, I remember seeing police pull people over driving at slower speeds than I was and I had to figure this must have been for having a radar detector. However, Virginia State Troopers are all over the place.
Old 03-13-07, 10:12 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Having grown up in Miami and going to college and living in DC after college and before coming to Mexico, those red light cameras definitely hit you hard. In NoVa, I remember seeing police pull people over driving at slower speeds than I was and I had to figure this must have been for having a radar detector. However, Virginia State Troopers are all over the place.
Not just Virginia State Police, Fairfax County Police in NoVa, and the stupid Airport Authority Police on the Dulles Toll Road going towards Dulles International Airport. Motor vehicle laws are becoming the fastest way for State and County governments to generate revenue. Where I am in Maryland, the Police will pull you over for no front tag in a heartbeat. yes in Maryland we are required to have 2 tags. Knock on wood, I have had good luck in Florida with the Florida State Troopers on I-95. I swear it seems people in Florida drive slower than they do in the DC area. They will pass that radar detector law in Florida, it is just a matter of time. They have no reason NOT to do it. Sad but true.
Old 03-13-07, 10:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Not just Virginia State Police, Fairfax County Police in NoVa, and the stupid Airport Authority Police on the Dulles Toll Road going towards Dulles International Airport. Motor vehicle laws are becoming the fastest way for State and County governments to generate revenue. Where I am in Maryland, the Police will pull you over for no front tag in a heartbeat. yes in Maryland we are required to have 2 tags. Knock on wood, I have had good luck in Florida with the Florida State Troopers on I-95. I swear it seems people in Florida drive slower than they do in the DC area. They will pass that radar detector law in Florida, it is just a matter of time. They have no reason NOT to do it. Sad but true.
Oh yeah, that Dulles Toll Road is like a gauntlet. Many a motorist rushing toward the airport for a flight or to drop someone off can be caught on that. Last time I was in Florida, it seemed like I-95 and especially the Turnpike out by FIU was so loose, I was hitting 90 with no problem. Too bad US1 has been degraded to a parking lot. However, where I used to live around Palmetto High School (now Pinecrest) apparently has become one of the big ticket magnets in Dade County.
Old 03-14-07, 08:02 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

May I ask why the move to Mexico? Just out of curiousity?
Old 03-14-07, 10:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

May I ask why the move to Mexico? Just out of curiousity?
It was work-related due to lack of business opportunities in the U.S. following September 11th. Eventually plan to go back to Florida later this year or early 2008.
Old 03-14-07, 01:07 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Wow, you don't happen to be working for HP?
Old 03-14-07, 03:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Wow, you don't happen to be working for HP?
No, but I used to have some contacts with them when I working working at another company about 2 years ago. They helped us with some large-scale computer contracts.
Old 03-15-07, 09:54 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Interesting. Do you have Mexican Tags on your car or Florida? Kinda wondering how that works.
Old 03-16-07, 05:48 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
However, where I used to live around Palmetto High School (now Pinecrest) apparently has become one of the big ticket magnets in Dade County.

Pinecrest was incorporated and has their own entire police force. Problem with this is that Pinecrest is basically just a handful of square miles of upscale, quiet neighborhoods and just a small percentage of businesses along the east side of US1.

So basically all they CAN do is give tickets. There's simply nothing else for them to do.

It's funny... People that know the area never speed in Pinecrest but as soon as they cross the border, they're cruising at 60 again.

I know I do it.
Old 03-16-07, 09:04 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Pinecrest was incorporated and has their own entire police force. Problem with this is that Pinecrest is basically just a handful of square miles of upscale, quiet neighborhoods and just a small percentage of businesses along the east side of US1.

So basically all they CAN do is give tickets. There's simply nothing else for them to do.

It's funny... People that know the area never speed in Pinecrest but as soon as they cross the border, they're cruising at 60 again.

I know I do it.
Yup. That's exactly how it is. I went to visit a Lexus IS350-owning friend who lives in Pinecrest and my Valentine 1 was constantly beeping during the 3-4 blocks leading to his house.
Old 03-16-07, 09:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Interesting. Do you have Mexican Tags on your car or Florida? Kinda wondering how that works.
Good question.

Florida tags, or I should Florida tag. We can't have Mexican tags or even selll our vehicles. They give you a sticker and a permit at the border. You don't want Mexican tags even if you could have them, as they have a tenencia, which is a yearly property tax on the vehicles. Only other thing you need is Mexican insurance (and it is 2x Florida, which I also have).

You also have the right to obtain a Mexican driver's license (I have mine in Mexico City, where it is permanent for life and no test is required).
Old 03-16-07, 09:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CleanSC

I know I do it.
Oh yeah, I went through their with my RX about 3 years ago to see where I used to live (2 blocks east of Palmetto High on the canal). I was amazed to see Pinecrest Police (so used to Metro-Dade) and they just sat on 120th of 57th waiting for people to come over that little hill there at high speed. I remember in H.S. zipping up and down 77th with reckless abandon (we used to race up and down that street early Saturday and Sunday nights after football). US1 is packed...I coudn't believe that.

Quick Reply: Florida to become 2nd state to ban radar detectors?