ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012-13 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 08:11 AM
F1Addict
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I copied this from what I wrote in another thread in this forum regarding the 2013 ES350:

Yes - the redesigned ES350 and new ES300h will be introduced in August 2012. They are calling it "a new level of luxury, design and technology." Almost a "baby LS." It will be based on a larger platform than the current ES, so I'm assuming they're moving it to the Avalon platform.

It will feature a bolder stance, longer wheelbase, 18" wheels and exposed exhaust tips. From the couple of pictures I saw at a Lexus meeting last month, it looks like the 2013 GS front, with the current LS rear and almost a 5-series side view.

It will have the same interior lines as the 2013 GS, with an 8" Navi screen and same tech goodies (Bing, Pandora, iHeart, Opentable, etc along with SMS to speech capabilities.

Heres what they said about the ES300h:
- It will have the presence of an LS
- More legroom than an E-class
- Emissions of a Prius
- 25% better MPG than a Honda Fit (aiming for 40mpg combined)
- 0-60 in 8.1 sec
- First Lexus w/ PZEV rating

Production begins June 2012, pricing will be announced April 2012.

Wish I had pictures to show...

We will see a MAJOR change for the LS in October 2012, and for the IS April 2013.
Old 11-25-11, 04:33 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW. I hear a sss sound out my new 2011, which is the wholesale value going down rapidly when that new version debuts.
Old 11-25-11, 05:20 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oo wow those are very good numbers..just wanna see pics!!!!
Old 11-25-11, 06:08 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see Lexus straying from current formula of using Camry platform. It will still be FWD only, with the new Lexus corporate look (GS350). I don't see Lexus going Audi and having AWD on all models. ES will still be the entry sedan with FWD only. I would expect to see a similiar interior like GS, with possibly a little more wood than on current ES. Perhaps the wood across the passenger side integrated into the dash, rather than an added after-thought piece on the glovebox.
Old 11-25-11, 06:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^There was a rumor that started over a year ago about the ES being on it's own unique chassis and abandoning the Camry platform. With each passing day, this appears to be coming true. The 2012 Camry is out without out a corresponding new ES. To my knowledge a new Camry without a corresponding ES has never happened before since the birth of the ES. Mr. Addicts predications make a lot of sense, more so than most of the prognostications that I have read previously.

Lou
Old 11-26-11, 07:49 AM
F1Addict
Driver School Candidate

It possibly could be it's own chassis. When they said it will be 4 inches longer wheelbase than the current model, and also wider, I just immediately assumed the Avalon chassis...

The interior is almost identical to the 2013 GS350 interior, except an 8" display instead of the 12.3". Has the analog clock in the center of the dash, which will start showing up in every Lexus model. An absolutely stunning vehicle inside and out!!
Old 11-26-11, 12:06 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Has the analog clock in the center of the dash, which will start showing up in every Lexus model.
You mean like the Infiniti brand

But, ya, sounds right, the New GS has one.

Lou
Old 11-26-11, 01:05 PM
JohnS
Driver

but will it have more features than a Hyundai Genesis?
Old 12-17-11, 07:34 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Addict
It possibly could be it's own chassis. When they said it will be 4 inches longer wheelbase than the current model, and also wider, I just immediately assumed the Avalon chassis...

The interior is almost identical to the 2013 GS350 interior, except an 8" display instead of the 12.3". Has the analog clock in the center of the dash, which will start showing up in every Lexus model. An absolutely stunning vehicle inside and out!!
My connect said it will be on the Avalon Chassis...
Old 12-18-11, 09:24 AM
ESSY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by garsarno
WOW. I hear a sss sound out my new 2011, which is the wholesale value going down rapidly when that new version debuts.
What is going to hurt the 11 &12 ES resale more than anything is the discounts Lexus is now giving. I've shopped Lexus three previous times and bought BMW two of those times and Acura the other. At 37,400 for a 2011 Navi ES350 and the regular gas suggested I jumped all over the Lexus this time.

We have a 2011 Avalon sitting right next to the ES, and a 2010 Limited 4-Runner sitting in the garage. I traded another Toyota product in on the ES. The Toyota products may have a better resale over five year period but over a two year period I've not found them to be any better or worse than most their peer vehicles.

You bought the vehicle to enjoy....go forth end enjoy the comfy quite ride. There is always something better coming down the pike
Old 12-18-11, 10:13 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
My connect said it will be on the Avalon Chassis...
Isn't the Avalon just a stretched out Camry chasis? So if your contact is right, then the ES will continue to be Camry based. I was hoping Lexus would make the ES independent of the Camry and perhaps offer a AWD variant.
Old 01-03-12, 07:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

More rumors from a very unlikely source:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...sse-laughable/

• The next-gen ES will be wider and longer than the current model, which is nearly seven inches shorter than the LaCrosse. In that regard, the Lexus will be catching up to the Buick. But…

• The next-gen ES will be the quietest car Lexus has ever made — something Buick’s Quiet Tuning won’t be able to “hold a candle to”. And then there was this…

• The next-gen ES will offer Hybrid Synergy Drive full-hybrid technology and achieve fuel economy in the high 40s on the highway and even better in the city. “The eAssist stuff won’t even come close”.

Lou
Old 01-03-12, 09:07 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
More rumors from a very unlikely source:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...sse-laughable/

• The next-gen ES will be wider and longer than the current model, which is nearly seven inches shorter than the LaCrosse. In that regard, the Lexus will be catching up to the Buick. But…

• The next-gen ES will be the quietest car Lexus has ever made — something Buick’s Quiet Tuning won’t be able to “hold a candle to”. And then there was this…

• The next-gen ES will offer Hybrid Synergy Drive full-hybrid technology and achieve fuel economy in the high 40s on the highway and even better in the city. “The eAssist stuff won’t even come close”.

Lou
Sounds more like a wish list.

Not saying it's not possible... but I'd expect a considerable price hike too.
Old 01-03-12, 09:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A little over a year ago Car & Driver did a comparision test of the ES350, Genesis, LaCrosse and Taurus. The ES came in second behind the Genesis. In the test the ES was the smallest (and lightest) car which benefitted it in performance, fuel economy, braking etc. It sounds like the next generation will be larger and even quieter which no doubt means it will be heavier. This probably won't bother the average ES350 new car buyer. I'm anxious to see the next gen ES.
Old 01-03-12, 09:10 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A little over a year ago Car & Driver did a comparision test of the ES350, Genesis, LaCrosse and Taurus. The ES came in second behind the Genesis. In the test the ES was the smallest (and lightest) car which benefitted it in performance, fuel economy, braking etc. It sounds like the next generation will be larger and even quieter which no doubt means it will be heavier. This probably won't bother the average ES350 new car buyer. I'm anxious to see the next gen ES.
I remember that (I get C&D) - I have to say the rating isn't bad considering the ES350 was the oldest design of them all.

What *I'd* like to see are all 4 of these cars after 50k miles - which one is holding up the best?

Quick Reply: 2012-13 Lexus ES 350