ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil pressure hose failed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 03:17 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Just got off the phone. First I made an appointment for next week to get all of my recalls gone. Yes recalls mats (second time) oil line, reflash ecu and pedal. Tried to get the dealer to install the all metal oil line for the recall. Said that they were only allowed to install the crappy rubber one. Then called corporate and got he same song and dance. I'm about done with them, I don't have to pay big bucks for a car and be treated like this. I can buy from anybody for less and be treated the same way, poorly. Oh yeah, there is two fixes, one is halfassed and the other cost more. So lets do the cheap one and hope those people get rid of their cars before we have to replace their hoses again or even worse the whole engine. I thought Lexus was different, not really, just more expense and the most arrogant.
I hope tommorow is better for you..geez.
Old 02-12-10, 03:38 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're lucky my dealer said they couldn't or wouldn't even order it. You take a rubber one and like it. I've about had it with Lexus and there people.
Old 02-12-10, 06:14 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine actually broke and they still replaced it with the rubber one. And, my engine still has a burning smell when it gets hot. I don't think that will ever go away. My wife offically hates the car and won't drive it.
Old 02-13-10, 05:33 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MD350
Mine actually broke and they still replaced it with the rubber one. And, my engine still has a burning smell when it gets hot. I don't think that will ever go away. My wife offically hates the car and won't drive it.
Ouch! I've actually been procrastinating making my appointment. Thanks for the incentive!
Old 02-16-10, 10:51 AM
travelguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
I had my recalls done on Thursday. Did not get free tank of gas, but at least they threw in a free brake job. My rears pads were at 3mm after only 22kmi.
I am not too worried about rubber vs metal hose. If you compare what was there before - ACM rubber

http://www.robinsonrubber.com/pdfs/P...ylicRubber.pdf

to what they are installing there now - FKM rubber

http://www.robinsonrubber.com/pdfs/FKMRubber.pdf

it is clear that they had wrong stuff selected when they were engineering the engine. New "improved" rubber should do the job well enough.
zhivuyatut,
I'm new to the forum and I thought I migh provide some helpful information to other members if they are not aware. I saw your post regarding the recall and the free rear brake job your dealership performed on your rear brakes due to pre-mature rear brake wear. I wanted to alert any member with a 2007-2008 ES350 to be alert to the pre-mature wear of rear brake pads issues. Lexus has not made this a recall, but there is a TSIB, number BR002-07 that provides warranty coverage on any vehicle experiencing problems with rear brakes or pre-mature wear of rear brakes pads. My 2008 ES developed a strange noise and another forum member on another site alerted me to all of the TSIB's issued for 2007 -2008 vehicles and I learned about this issue. I am attaching the original link to this service bulletin, see attached http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/21...ATURE+PAD+WEAR I hope this may be of assistance to someone else. Information is the key when dealing with the dealerships and Lexus Corp. Thanks for this helpful forum.
Old 03-19-10, 10:43 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thought I would revive this thread as there is a new thread about this too. This old one contained lots of info on the oil hose issue and might answer more questions that people have on the topic.
Old 06-11-11, 09:46 PM
Murasumi
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys so I know this is old already but I just had this problem today. Does the powertrain warranty covers this? Luckily I'm at 69XXX miles when this happen so i just hit the mileage limit. O my car is an 07 model.
Old 02-09-12, 06:45 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Bumping this to the top. It was a very informative thread even though it was after the fact for me. I had my local garage replace my busted hose for $535 which included towing the car. I checked the folder where I keep all my Lexus information and I find 6 or so letters about all-weather floor mats and not a single notice about a hose. I also looked for the My Lexus information. I had no idea that existed until today. Corporate will be getting a call today.
Old 02-09-12, 12:24 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Robert, you will get your money back but may have engine damage.

Originally Posted by Robert_J
Bumping this to the top. It was a very informative thread even though it was after the fact for me. I had my local garage replace my busted hose for $535 which included towing the car. I checked the folder where I keep all my Lexus information and I find 6 or so letters about all-weather floor mats and not a single notice about a hose. I also looked for the My Lexus information. I had no idea that existed until today. Corporate will be getting a call today.
Toyota has been good about refunds even when you have the work done elsewhere. The big problem now is that it looks like at least three times, the recall service was not even performed and then the hose broke later resulting in engine damage. One woman with a rav4 (same engine as Lexus) ..... was six months out of warranty and got her engine completely rebuilt for free.

For more on this, go here:

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

BTW: :Has anyone with an ES350 on here had their oil line rupture or leak for a second time ????
Old 05-20-12, 07:10 AM
Dcbert
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 RX massive oil loss

Well, it happened to me. I left my garage without incident and within about 5 minutes i noticed some light smoke coming from the hood. No warning lights and temps were good. I returned home to see a trail of oil following me. Must hAve lost 3 quarts in my driveway alone. Oil is everywhere, even under the rear wheel well. Will have towed to the local Lexus dealer to see what they do. No warranty since it is at 75k miles. I bought this used about 6 mos ago so don't know if the oil line was replaced with the recall. Hope Lexus steps up.
Old 05-20-12, 08:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcbert
Well, it happened to me. I left my garage without incident and within about 5 minutes i noticed some light smoke coming from the hood. No warning lights and temps were good. I returned home to see a trail of oil following me. Must hAve lost 3 quarts in my driveway alone. Oil is everywhere, even under the rear wheel well. Will have towed to the local Lexus dealer to see what they do. No warranty since it is at 75k miles. I bought this used about 6 mos ago so don't know if the oil line was replaced with the recall. Hope Lexus steps up.
If you register online at lexus.com you'll be able to see the service history of your car. Just need the VIN #. The history will show services done at a dealer or entered by the previous owner(s).

Last edited by LexBob2; 05-20-12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:58 AM
Dcbert
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If you register online at lexus.com you'll be able to see the service history of your car. Just need the VIN #. The history will show services done at a dealer or entered by the previous owner(s).
Thanks. I checked and it does show the oil cooler hose was replaced 14 mos. ago. Assume that is the same part? If so, surely it wouldn't have failed again. We'll see... Hoped it was a simple recall.
Old 05-20-12, 02:29 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The good thing is that you appeared to have caught this before you lost oil pressure and killed the engine. It'll be interesting to find out if someone installed another oil line with the flexible section, or did they actually install the correct updated (per the TB) tube, 14 months ago? If it is the updated tube, why did it fail? Preloaded on installation, or some other screwup? Either way, you should not have to pay anything. Unless it was slowly leaking, there is absolutely nothing you can do as an owner to prevent this. Just to clarify........the oil line/tube in question and referenced in the TB is the oil supply line/tube for the aft cylinder bank variable valve timing, not the oil cooler which the ES does not have. Some parts catalogues have it listed incorrectly under "oil cooler". Let us know what transpires.
Old 05-21-12, 06:42 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Default PLEASE ... See if you can take picture of failed hose/ you are under LSC

Sorry ...... deleted

Last edited by Paul3637; 05-21-12 at 08:07 AM. Reason: deleted duplicate post
Old 05-21-12, 07:28 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Default PLEASE ... See if you can take picture of failed hose/ you are still under wattanty

Originally Posted by Dcbert
Thanks. I checked and it does show the oil cooler hose was replaced 14 mos. ago. Assume that is the same part? If so, surely it wouldn't have failed again. We'll see... Hoped it was a simple recall.
You would be doing a great service to the rest of us 1.5 million or so 2GR-FE owners ..... and possibly to yourself ..... if you could snap a picture of the broken oil line BEFORE it is fixed. Thus far, there are NO,NONE,ZERO,NADA DOCUMENTED cases of the replacement hose failing if the correct part was installed. The correct replacement part should have either:

A yellow stripe on it
OR
The designation KK20 OIL ACM FKM.

The original part will have either no markings or it will say in yellow letters: AT OIL ACM.

Look what happened on this Highlander when we had the guy take a picture of his failed hose after the service was done by the dealer ....... Sure enough .... it was not the correct part and almost 100% certain the service was never done:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...-oil-leak.html (picture at post #7)

The dealer, knowing Toyota could prove they did not ever do the service ..... tried to warrant the part off to a HYBRID Highlander to which the recall did not even apply. Then, the dealer tried to claim they did the service
but with the wrong part. However, this is almost impossible and certainly not even remotely plausable for the following reasons:

1) the "wrong part" ------ the rubber hose (NOT the full "rubber metal assembly") has NEVER been specified by Toyota or Lexus as a single part .. it has only been a part of a full assmebly of rubber & metal hose ... and to replace the hose with the "wrong part" (the full rubber/metal assembly) would require removal of the power steering pump or other parts which adds one hour to the labor process ........ which is exactly why Toyota and Lexus went to the "el cheapo" fix of replacing the rubber piece only rather than the all metal oil line as the fix was done on the assemblly line. Labor for recall fix: 0.7 hrs ...... labor for full oil line (metal or assembly) service: 1.5 hrs.

2) Even the original version of the "defective part" never failed before 2 years/20,000 miles (2005 Avalons). The 2010 recall version of the rubber hose is actually Toytota's 4th version of that same stupid rubber hose. There is ZERO reason this 4th version would fail faster than the original version.

Moreover, you are covered by warranty through April 2013 for all repairs AND anciallry damage such as replacement of the timing cover or even full engine replacement.

Go to this website if you have not already ......

http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

read especially about the gal with the Rav4 that was told "tough luck" when the "replacement hose" ruptured 18 months after the recall service was suppose to have been performed and 6 months after her factory powertrain warranty had expired. After complaining to the President of the dealership ....... she got an entire new engine as well as a refund of what she paid to fix the busted (supposedly replaced) oil line !!!!!!!!!

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Paul3637; 05-21-12 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure hose failed