ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil pressure hose failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by racingt
Got it also, may just wait till the car has 35K miles or so, sitting on 20K now...
I had the VVTI oil hose on my car replaced today. The dealer had the car for about 2 1/2 hours and that time included the accelerator/floor mat recall. The Service Manager said they now have the necessary parts and have more coming in as the Service Campaign progresses.
Old 01-25-10, 07:30 PM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It showed up on my MyLexus page as well.

My question is will Lexus replace it with an all metal line?

If not, will they replace the rubber hose every 30-40,000 miles?

This will "solve" the problem for now. By the time this problem rears its ugly head the cars will be well out of warranty and not Lexus' problem.
Old 01-25-10, 09:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

It has not shown up for my wife's ES. It just shows "POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT INTERFERENCE WITH ACCELERATOR PEDAL".

Lou
Old 01-26-10, 06:10 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say I am shocked that Lexus stepped up to the plate and agreed to put the metal line on at no additional cost. It can be done for those who would rather have the metal line. It still is at the shop so we will see when I look underneath the hood.
Old 01-26-10, 07:12 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Believe it or not, from a strictly "parts price" perspective, if you were to purchase the "full metal line" versus the "part metal, part rubber composite line" , the full metal line is actually the same price or as I recall a little cheaper.

Of course, when they do the bulletin they are simply popping out the middle rubber portion and putting in an "improved rubber" portion. The two metal ends are not being touched.

If they replace the entire line to "all metal", there is more labor involved as the whole line is being removed & replaced.
The bottom portion of the line goes into the engine right behind the power steering pump.
My dealer removed the pump for access to that area.
Old 01-28-10, 09:43 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Took my car to dealer for service today.
When making an appointment, the girl on the phone said that they will replace the VVT-i hose. However, the service manager apologetically said that they would like to do both the hose recall AND gas pedal recall at once. But they only have limited supply of parts for the latter, therefore I'll have to wait for a letter from them to get the job done later. I didn't care much, because it still would be an extra visit. Just hope that the hose does not blow up before then.
He specifically suggested to bring the car with empty tank for recall job. Apparently Lexus authorized giving free gas top-off for inconvenience. I'll make sure that my gauge is on "E".
This is my first trip to the dealer since I bought the car, and I was not pleased with the cost of an oil change. I guess I'll be going to local Toyota for my routine oil changes. This time I wanted to get a few small nuisances taken care of under warranty.
Old 01-28-10, 10:07 AM
tnfan
Rookie

I was on the way to the dealer this morning to get tires rotated and balanced. About 2 miles from the dealer at a red light I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the front of the car. By the time I got to the dealer, there was a lot of smoke and burning smell. Parked the car in the bay area and sure enough there was oil on the floor underneath my car. Service manager said it was probably the hose as they had this happen to several ES350's. Mine is an early 2006 build as I purchased the car in 4/06. Have not heard back from the service advisor yet so not sure what the resolutiion will be. I continue to be very disappointed in the quality of this automobile. I have 65k on it and have had nothing but problems from the get go. Most major issue was the replacement of 2 camshafts and oil leak around the head. Both happened in the 40k range.
Old 01-28-10, 04:53 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnfan
I was on the way to the dealer this morning to get tires rotated and balanced. About 2 miles from the dealer at a red light I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the front of the car. By the time I got to the dealer, there was a lot of smoke and burning smell. Parked the car in the bay area and sure enough there was oil on the floor underneath my car. Service manager said it was probably the hose as they had this happen to several ES350's. Mine is an early 2006 build as I purchased the car in 4/06. Have not heard back from the service advisor yet so not sure what the resolutiion will be. I continue to be very disappointed in the quality of this automobile. I have 65k on it and have had nothing but problems from the get go. Most major issue was the replacement of 2 camshafts and oil leak around the head. Both happened in the 40k range.
You are lucky you made it to the dealer. I had to be towed in. Make sure the dealer cleans the top and bottom of your engine really well. I already took mine back once and am about to take it back again to be cleaned up as I still get a burning smell when really hot. This is almost 2,000 miles after the repair.
Old 01-28-10, 06:24 PM
caballero7
Rookie

On Easter weekend last year the same thing happen to my 2007 ES350. I was on the highway coming home from out of town and was a couple of miles from my home when I started seeing the smoke and smelling oil. Open the garage door and parked. I got out and looked underneath and oil everywhere. Call Lexus roadside assistance the next day and they sent a tow truck to pick up my car. No oil in the motor what so ever. It took about 2 weeks to fix because they had to order the part(oil line). That was ok though drove the new RX for that time, but sure missed my ride.
Old 01-29-10, 02:14 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had mine done yesterday and the dealer does not know anything about a metal replacement hose but said that it's a redesigned rubber hose that should not exhibit this problem.

I also got the Floor Mat recall done which included a reprogram of the ECU to close the throttle if the brake is pressed while the throttle is open.
Old 01-29-10, 05:01 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

I am in Southern California. I saw this service campaign in Mylexus.com so I scheduled an appointment for next Saturday at Longo Lexus (El Monte, CA) to have this hose replaced. When i called this dealer about this part, the parts rep told me it is another rubber replacement (instead of a all metallic).

Does anyone know which dealer carries this metallic replacement part here in California? I hate to replace it with a bandage solution.
Old 01-31-10, 05:31 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep in mind the "923" Customer Service Campaign only calls for replacing the existing rubber hose with an "improved" rubber hose.
As far as your geographic location in CA, it's not really a case of where you are as to availabilty of the "all metal line". The TOYOTA part number is 15772-31030 for the line itself.
There are also two metal washers involved too.

It is always a question as to whether or not your dealer can/will do anything for you if you wish to deviate from the campaign as written which calls for rubber hose and about 1 hour labor. The all metal line option is definitely more labor intensive.
Old 01-31-10, 02:01 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

I had my recalls done on Thursday. Did not get free tank of gas, but at least they threw in a free brake job. My rears pads were at 3mm after only 22kmi.
I am not too worried about rubber vs metal hose. If you compare what was there before - ACM rubber

http://www.robinsonrubber.com/pdfs/P...ylicRubber.pdf

to what they are installing there now - FKM rubber

http://www.robinsonrubber.com/pdfs/FKMRubber.pdf

it is clear that they had wrong stuff selected when they were engineering the engine. New "improved" rubber should do the job well enough.
Old 02-03-10, 09:51 AM
micosan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
He specifically suggested to bring the car with empty tank for recall job. Apparently Lexus authorized giving free gas top-off for inconvenience. I'll make sure that my gauge is on "E".
I got a free tank of gas during my last visit for VVTi oil hose replacement.
Old 02-12-10, 10:35 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got off the phone. First I made an appointment for next week to get all of my recalls gone. Yes recalls mats (second time) oil line, reflash ecu and pedal. Tried to get the dealer to install the all metal oil line for the recall. Said that they were only allowed to install the crappy rubber one. Then called corporate and got he same song and dance. I'm about done with them, I don't have to pay big bucks for a car and be treated like this. I can buy from anybody for less and be treated the same way, poorly. Oh yeah, there is two fixes, one is halfassed and the other cost more. So lets do the cheap one and hope those people get rid of their cars before we have to replace their hoses again or even worse the whole engine. I thought Lexus was different, not really, just more expense and the most arrogant.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure hose failed