ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 ES350 6 month 11k Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 11:09 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 ES350 6 month 11k Review

Well it has been a little over 6 months since I got my ES350 and have about 11k on it, so figured after having driven it a bit now would be a good time to give a full review.
To give everyone background, I came for a 2013 GS350AWD and currently have a 2015 LS460 SWB that my wife mainly uses, I picked the ES after my GS lease as my everyday car as if I leased another GS it basically would have been the same exact car just different color.

- The regular gas requirement and gas MPG are great, my avg for the life the car has been 25.2 MPG and that includes a lot of city driving too, as per MPG per tank I am at about 26-27 MPG. Huge savings compared to GS and forget the LS as the LS they trick you with the large tank.
- Driving the ES takes no effort at all to drive, it really doesn’t cause driver fatigue and is a car really made for driving long distance, this is when I really see the MPG go into 30’s.

- The UL PKG, I can’t praise this PKG enough, The seats are softer then my LS, glass roof opens the whole car up to sun, ML system is better than standard system in GS/LS, 18inch wheels. I am not tall but without the extra leg support in driver’s seat the UL pkg gives you the seat is very short and not comfortable. – This is what made me not pick the 300H as I couldn’t get the wheels and roof with UL that was offered, if you could get these 2 features on 300H then you would have a perfect car. It strange I travel to HKG a lot for work and I stopped at Lexus dealer in Kowloon last trip and they offer base ES’s with glass roof and even the current RX with glass roof. Strange they don’t do that in states, I mean you can get base Mercedes with the glass roof.

- Sport mode, I find a lot more aggressive in ES then in GS. It may be that I am so use to the soft ride of the ES that when I switch it I really notice it, however in ES it doesn’t hold the gears which was really annoying in the GS as it felt like the car was accelerating when you were braking.

- The amount room in this sedan, back seat is huge and plenty of room in the front and it doesn’t feel big to drive.

Dislikes:
- GEN 8 NAV system is horrible, it almost feels like it wasn’t ready to be released yet to market. It is has a consent lag and at times sometimes freezes all together, on occasion it also has reset on its own meaning it just shut down while I am driving goes black and then restarts. On the LS I really don’t drive it much to notice it freezing or restarting, but I can tell you it has the same lag. Also the free traffic system doesn’t compare to XM based traffic as not to accurate.

- Small NAV screen compared to GS/LS, it is really annoying to switch through the menus to see to change the radio information or trip information without losing half of map.

- Short gas pedal, compared to the long floor pedal found on GS/LS.

- Non automatic E brake.

- Not having an AWD option.

- Plastic pieces on door and lower compartments, happy I have a black interior as it hides the plastic much more.

- Brakes aren’t that great at highway speeds compared to GS/LS breaking power at high speeds.

As a daily high mileage driving car I am very happy with it, I feel it is very comfortable to drive and it very well equipped. At times I do miss the aggressive styling of the GS and the sporty driving style but as a day to day car I think the ES is a much more comfortable car to drive, even compared to LS. The LS at times feels very big and the even though the materials inside in are top notch compared to plastic in ES to me it feels dated even though the LS is 15 I feel it’s at the end of its life style I actually just noticed they posted pics of the new LS mule shots..
Old 06-06-15, 02:35 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I have to say I have had none of the issues you are having with your NAV system on my ES. No lag and it has never frrozen up. Maybe have your dealer check it and see if there is some kind of issue (maybe there is a software update?)
Old 06-06-15, 03:02 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I have factory Nav in my 2012 Avalanche and in my 2012 Maxima. Both very slow and in the bigger cities they take forever to recalculate and often can't keep us with multiple exits a few hundred feet apart. So I just use Google Maps which works super fast and is always up to date. I just got back from Charlotte, NC and used my 2015 ES-350 GPS everywhere. No lag issues and very responsive even right downtown. Really didn't need my phone for any navigation!
Old 06-08-15, 02:38 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had mine for 6 months too. No Nav problems at all.
Have to agree on the UL package and The black glass roof looks awesome with the silver.
Glad I didn't go with the 300H.

Last edited by roxy208; 06-08-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
Sport mode, I find a lot more aggressive in ES then in GS. It may be that I am so use to the soft ride of the ES that when I switch it I really notice it, however in ES it doesn’t hold the gears which was really annoying in the GS as it felt like the car was accelerating when you were braking.
FYI, neither your ES or your GS change the ride characteristics when you put them in sport. All they do is change the shift points in the transmission a little and tighten up the steering a little. In the GS you need to get AVS which you didn't have to get an adaptable suspension, and in the ES no such suspension is available at all. Any change in the ride is imaginary.

The accelerating when braking feeling in Sport/Sport S+ in the GS is downshift rev matching. Its so you can accelerate more quickly out of a corner. I disliked it too.

GEN 8 NAV system is horrible, it almost feels like it wasn’t ready to be released yet to market. It is has a consent lag and at times sometimes freezes all together, on occasion it also has reset on its own meaning it just shut down while I am driving goes black and then restarts. On the LS I really don’t drive it much to notice it freezing or restarting, but I can tell you it has the same lag. Also the free traffic system doesn’t compare to XM based traffic as not to accurate.
I too preferred the Gen 7 system in my GS.

Short gas pedal, compared to the long floor pedal found on GS/LS.
Hopefully they will remedy this, the new RX gets the big floor mounted pedal. I think all premium cars should have a nice big floor mounted pedal.

as a day to day car I think the ES is a much more comfortable car to drive, even compared to LS.
Can't agree with that LOL

The LS at times feels very big
It does feel big when you first start driving it, but once you get used to it it doesn't really anymore. Imagine the L
Old 06-11-15, 01:50 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

3 months in and i love the car, the seats are sooo comfortable
Old 09-28-16, 10:40 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

I returned my leased UL-ES about a month ago with 36K on odo on it and wanted to give it one final review.
The car was truly a workhorse for me given the miles I drive daily and what an effortless and reliable car to drive, I know its not sporty but you can't beat the value and Luxury for this car. Over the course of owning it zero real issues, the only issue was app which it was it's first year and Lexus made good by giving a free year other then that all I did was change the oil. Even the dreaded bridgestones lasted this whole time and still had thread on them when returned. I said it from start and will say it again I enjoyed driving this car more then my LS which has really no miles on it, as the ES seemed to have modern feel. Yes, I know LS has very high end materials etc but ES just doesn't have that older Lexus model feel. I was truly sad to have to return it but due to the high miles and LFS payment wavier offered I had too. I do have regrets of not buying it out as it was in pristine condition only HWY miles no one ever in back seat and only in garage with zero damage expect for 1 slight dimple from license plate in rear bumper, of course it was certified and on dealer lot next week lol.

Well if your on fence I can certainly recommend this generation of the ES, by the far the nicest and make sure you get UL PKG it really great pkg.

Old 09-28-16, 12:18 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for your review.
before buying my ES300h I debated going with the RX or LS for more comfort and soft ride, but I have a small garage space at home, and some tight corners to negotiate at work parking garage, so having the smaller car has its pluses and I worried about the larger LS in those situations.

Good to hear that the ES retains it comfort as a regular workhorse car

Well it has been a little over 6 months since I got my ES350 and have about 11k on it, so figured after having driven it a bit now would be a good time to give a full review.
To give everyone background, I came for a 2013 GS350AWD and currently have a 2015 LS460 SWB that my wife mainly uses, I picked the ES after my GS lease as my everyday car as if I leased another GS it basically would have been the same exact car just different color.

- The regular gas requirement and gas MPG are great, my avg for the life the car has been 25.2 MPG and that includes a lot of city driving too, as per MPG per tank I am at about 26-27 MPG. Huge savings compared to GS and forget the LS as the LS they trick you with the large tank.
- Driving the ES takes no effort at all to drive, it really doesn’t cause driver fatigue and is a car really made for driving long distance, this is when I really see the MPG go into 30’s.

- The UL PKG, I can’t praise this PKG enough, The seats are softer then my LS, glass roof opens the whole car up to sun, ML system is better than standard system in GS/LS, 18inch wheels. I am not tall but without the extra leg support in driver’s seat the UL pkg gives you the seat is very short and not comfortable. – This is what made me not pick the 300H as I couldn’t get the wheels and roof with UL that was offered, if you could get these 2 features on 300H then you would have a perfect car. It strange I travel to HKG a lot for work and I stopped at Lexus dealer in Kowloon last trip and they offer base ES’s with glass roof and even the current RX with glass roof. Strange they don’t do that in states, I mean you can get base Mercedes with the glass roof.

- Sport mode, I find a lot more aggressive in ES then in GS. It may be that I am so use to the soft ride of the ES that when I switch it I really notice it, however in ES it doesn’t hold the gears which was really annoying in the GS as it felt like the car was accelerating when you were braking.

- The amount room in this sedan, back seat is huge and plenty of room in the front and it doesn’t feel big to drive.

Dislikes:
- GEN 8 NAV system is horrible, it almost feels like it wasn’t ready to be released yet to market. It is has a consent lag and at times sometimes freezes all together, on occasion it also has reset on its own meaning it just shut down while I am driving goes black and then restarts. On the LS I really don’t drive it much to notice it freezing or restarting, but I can tell you it has the same lag. Also the free traffic system doesn’t compare to XM based traffic as not to accurate.

- Small NAV screen compared to GS/LS, it is really annoying to switch through the menus to see to change the radio information or trip information without losing half of map.

- Short gas pedal, compared to the long floor pedal found on GS/LS.

- Non automatic E brake.

- Not having an AWD option.

- Plastic pieces on door and lower compartments, happy I have a black interior as it hides the plastic much more.

- Brakes aren’t that great at highway speeds compared to GS/LS breaking power at high speeds.

As a daily high mileage driving car I am very happy with it, I feel it is very comfortable to drive and it very well equipped. At times I do miss the aggressive styling of the GS and the sporty driving style but as a day to day car I think the ES is a much more comfortable car to drive, even compared to LS. The LS at times feels very big and the even though the materials inside in are top notch compared to plastic in ES to me it feels dated even though the LS is 15 I feel it’s at the end of its life style I actually just noticed they posted pics of the new LS mule shots..
Old 09-28-16, 05:52 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I returned my leased UL-ES about a month ago with 36K on odo on it and wanted to give it one final review.
The car was truly a workhorse for me given the miles I drive daily and what an effortless and reliable car to drive, I know its not sporty but you can't beat the value and Luxury for this car. Over the course of owning it zero real issues, the only issue was app which it was it's first year and Lexus made good by giving a free year other then that all I did was change the oil. Even the dreaded bridgestones lasted this whole time and still had thread on them when returned. I said it from start and will say it again I enjoyed driving this car more then my LS which has really no miles on it, as the ES seemed to have modern feel. Yes, I know LS has very high end materials etc but ES just doesn't have that older Lexus model feel. I was truly sad to have to return it but due to the high miles and LFS payment wavier offered I had too. I do have regrets of not buying it out as it was in pristine condition only HWY miles no one ever in back seat and only in garage with zero damage expect for 1 slight dimple from license plate in rear bumper, of course it was certified and on dealer lot next week lol.

Well if your on fence I can certainly recommend this generation of the ES, by the far the nicest and make sure you get UL PKG it really great pkg.

So what was the replacement?
Old 10-03-16, 09:34 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

I went with RX350 with LUX PKG, I had the regular 13 GS prior to ES and I was thinking of maybe of getting GS-F because believe it or not the lease wasn't to bad as there was 5k rebate on it and they were going sell it at invoice to move it as it was over 120 days old but then realized I couldn't do it because it can't be used as everyday car and it was that blue which I really wouldn't want as it's tad bit flashy. Please don't take it wrong way I like color but it just to flashy to drive everyday and for my miles I am sure it be to aggressive to drive daily.

Then I saw this RX with LUX PKG black with noble brown interior and it looked really amazing the color combo and it had triple beam LED lights , that is by far my favorite option on the car is the headlights. I figured at least this is newest Lexus out so I will go with it got nothing to lose.
Old 10-04-16, 11:12 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well at this point I could do a little review myself. I'm pushing 5000 miles on my 2016 ES 350. No complaints,
except I wish I had gotten adaptive cruise control.

What's the most powerful Lexus out there? I'd get that in bright red.

Not really. I actually deliberately avoided the flashier colors, cause I figured it would just attract unwanted
attention/jealousy.

Are there Lexus muscle cars?
Old 10-04-16, 11:59 AM
progman262
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man I think I bought this car from the dealer in Freehold, NJ. It is in flawless condition with the exception of the dimple on the rear bumper (which I'm still trying to figure out if I can get out but it doesn't bother me too much).

'15 Silver ES w/UL package, 36k miles. The dealer had the exact same color ES with 10k miles without the UL for basically the same price but I couldn't pass up the UL. It's a gorgeous car, glad you took care of it LOL.
Old 10-04-16, 04:13 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I returned my leased UL-ES about a month ago with 36K on odo on it and wanted to give it one final review... I said it from start and will say it again I enjoyed driving this car more then my LS which has really no miles on it, as the ES seemed to have modern feel...Well if your on fence I can certainly recommend this generation of the ES, by the far the nicest and make sure you get UL PKG it really great pkg.
I'm glad you had a good experience with your ES. I have a little over 43k miles on my 2013 ES350 and share the same experience with the car though my miles have come on over a longer time than yours... The car is quiet, efficient and a great cruiser (overall experience benefits greatly from the Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus) Having the UL package makes it a very comfy place to spend long drives and not having to worry about reliability is priceless. The only issues were 1) finding a good set of tires (worth it) and 2) recall performed on the Pre-Collision system/radar cruise to prevent false alarms in a specific scenario. No problems otherwise, standard maintenance schedule... I'm looking forward to many more happy miles with the ES.

Congrats on the RX, I test drove the 16RXh back in August and while I ultimately decided to go with a plug-in hybrid BMW X5 (Xdrive40e), I really think the 4th generation RX is its best version yet. (just happened to fall in love with the X5's purely silent push offs with instant torque and overall tech)