ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Vibrating while stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 12:08 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vibrating while stopped

My car is only a few months old with less than 3000 miles. It has started to vibrate while at red lights occasionally.
I have an appointment at the dealer but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.
Any advice appreciated
Old 06-01-15, 12:55 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by roxy208
My car is only a few months old with less than 3000 miles. It has started to vibrate while at red lights occasionally.
I have an appointment at the dealer but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this.
Any advice appreciated
It may be normal from the AC running. Try shifting to neutral and see if it stops. I have that also on my 2015, which has 350 miles on it.
Old 06-01-15, 02:08 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^this^^^
Old 06-01-15, 08:28 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jollick
It may be normal from the AC running. Try shifting to neutral and see if it stops. I have that also on my 2015, which has 350 miles on it.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
I was beginning to think it's my imagination.
Old 06-02-15, 09:08 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

When I first saw this thread, I thought it might have been the case that I just wasn't being very observant, but, today, when I was out with the ES, I made a point of paying close attention to what was going on when the vehicle was idling at red lights (with the AC) on, and all that I could feel and hear was the engine idling very smoothly, evenly, and quietly.
Old 06-02-15, 10:25 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
When I first saw this thread, I thought it might have been the case that I just wasn't being very observant, but, today, when I was out with the ES, I made a point of paying close attention to what was going on when the vehicle was idling at red lights (with the AC) on, and all that I could feel and hear was the engine idling very smoothly, evenly, and quietly.
Lesz, I feel the vibration ever so slightly on the steering wheel and shifter.
Old 06-02-15, 10:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Lesz, I feel the vibration ever so slightly on the steering wheel and shifter.
What I was looking for was any vibration on the seat of my pants, the shifter, or the steering wheel, and I didn't feel the slightest vibration anywhere.
Old 06-02-15, 10:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by lesz
What I was looking for was any vibration on the seat of my pants, the shifter, or the steering wheel, and I didn't feel the slightest vibration anywhere.
Only in my 300h do I not feel a thing.
Old 06-02-15, 11:09 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine is at the dealer today for the same thing. My '08 was smooth as glass at idle once it warmed up. Those had a problem with a diesel sound when cold but was fine once they warmed up. The'13 has a slight vibration at idle A/C on or off. It's more of a humming sound inside the cablin but there is a slight vibration as well. once you get past idle it's very smooth.

I'll let you all know what the dealer says. I suspect they will say it's normal.
Old 06-02-15, 08:20 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

What I feel is very slight . Makes me wonder if I'm really feeling anything. Today I tried shifting into neutral with the AC on and then with it off. It's still there, I think.
Have an appointment Monday. I too expect to hear " everything's normal "
Old 06-03-15, 11:21 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok so I had mine checked out yesterday and of course they said that they could not duplicate the issue. At least it's on record that I brought it in for this so if any service bulletins are released for this when it's out of warranty there may be a chance that they will correct it.

Also, the dealer was swamped with flooded cars with all the rain that we've been getting here lately so I am sure that they did not spend too much time checking it.

The service order stated that they drove it 6 miles and could not duplicate the problem but all that was needed was to start it, put it in drive, and hold the brake to experience the problem.

If it continues I'll bring it back and make them sit in the car with me so that I can show them what I am having problems with.
Old 06-03-15, 01:53 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Usually when I complain about a rattle or some other issue, my dealer has a technician come out and we do a short drive so they can better understand the issue.
Old 06-03-15, 08:41 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Only in my 300h do I not feel a thing.
You really don't feel anything? On my '14 300h, I can hear the hum of the ICE if it is on at idle. If I accelerate and the ICE is on, I can feel slight vibrations on the center dash where the handrest behind the mouse thingy is. They are slight, but I know the ICE is on. I have about 8000 miles on it. I also feel a thunk every now and then if the ICE kicks in as soon as I step on the gas. If the ICE kicks in over 10mph, I cant feel it.
Old 06-04-15, 05:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by zes
You really don't feel anything? On my '14 300h, I can hear the hum of the ICE if it is on at idle. If I accelerate and the ICE is on, I can feel slight vibrations on the center dash where the handrest behind the mouse thingy is. They are slight, but I know the ICE is on. I have about 8000 miles on it. I also feel a thunk every now and then if the ICE kicks in as soon as I step on the gas. If the ICE kicks in over 10mph, I cant feel it.
The thread started with the issue when stopped at a light, not when moving, I was referring to when sitting at a light. The only time my ICE runs when sitting at a light is on cold mornings during the winter while it warms up, however, I have gotten into the habit of turning the heat off if I am going to be at a light and that causes the ICE to not run. Otherwise, my experience is just about like yours. I have been driving Lexus hybrids since 2010 when I purchased a new HS250h, the ES hybrid is more refined and quieter than the HS was. These are wonderful cars and I could not think of driving anything else.
Old 06-04-15, 09:16 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lamikela1
Ok so I had mine checked out yesterday and of course they said that they could not duplicate the issue. At least it's on record that I brought it in for this so if any service bulletins are released for this when it's out of warranty there may be a chance that they will correct it.

Also, the dealer was swamped with flooded cars with all the rain that we've been getting here lately so I am sure that they did not spend too much time checking it.

The service order stated that they drove it 6 miles and could not duplicate the problem but all that was needed was to start it, put it in drive, and hold the brake to experience the problem.

If it continues I'll bring it back and make them sit in the car with me so that I can show them what I am having problems with.
I don't understand why they drove it. Only happens when stopped.
My dealer is swamped as well, that's why I had to wait until Monday. I know I'll get the same result. My argument is the RX doesn't do it.

Quick Reply: Vibrating while stopped