Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 05:39 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you guys spend on Gas? ES350

I'm looking for a Lexus as my next car.

1) What type of gas do you guys use?

2) How much do you guys spend gas each week?
Old 05-16-15, 06:15 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Any tier one fuel is sufficient for a Lexus ES. The engine calls for regular gas 87 octane or higher - not premium. As far as amount used and costs, this is impossible to say as distances driven vary widely as well as driving habits affecting mileage.

Virtually any name brand fuel from a reputable dealer including Costco will suffice.
Old 05-16-15, 07:58 PM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Hess regular
I usually fill up around once every 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-16-15, 08:11 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

How much spent per week is going to depend on the miles driven, the cost of fuel and the mileage of the car. Your post asked about the ES 350 and I can only comment on the hybrid, the ES 300H and after three months we have averaged 38 MPG with pretty calm driving in ECO mode. Hopefully someone with an ES 350 will chime in since that is the model you asked about. I might add, if you are concerned about the fuel costs, perhaps you should consider the hybrid model. Take one on a test drive before you make any decision.
Old 05-16-15, 09:56 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Originally Posted by wowzer
Hess regular
I usually fill up around once every 2-3 weeks.
1) What gas number do you fill up with?

2) How many miles do you drive before you need to fill up?

3) How much does it cost to fill up each time?
Old 05-16-15, 09:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I spend on gas every other week

That's with the hybrid, I see 1000 km range on a full tank with 64 liters. I'm getting 5.4 l/100 km or 43 mpg currently. I fill up when the low fuel light goes on with 60 km remaining range.

I usually fill up about 30 liters or 8 gallons at a time, costs about $45.
Old 05-17-15, 12:44 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz

1) As mentioned earlier, the ES350 only requires 87/regular. Putting anything higher would be a waste of money since there are no fuel economy or performance gains.

2) Can go around 400+ miles on a tank.

3) The ES350 has a 17.2 gallon tank. Average around 25-28 mpg (mostly highway, but a lot of traffic), car only takes ~15 gallons to fill up when the warning light comes on, and filling up at ~$3.70/gal (Costco), results in a bill of $55-60 per tank.

I can't stand driving in ECO since it really makes the car feel sluggish and it dials back the AC. Mostly leave it in Normal, with occasional Sport mode.

The hybrid does get better mpg, but you have to pay quite a bit more for a bit less performance. When I had an ES300h as a loaner, I found myself pushing the car more due to the lower power figures, so my mpg on a hybrid wasn't as good as it should've been. People have done the math, and you'll have to drive the car for quite a few years and miles with a light foot to "make back" the money. Driving a hybrid is very interesting and much different than a regular gas car, especially the regenerative brakes (which make an interesting sound). Take one for a test drive if you think the hybrid might be an option for you.

Last edited by dchar; 05-18-15 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-17-15, 03:22 AM
wowzer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexusplz

I am sorry...i didnt read your title. I thought it was a question about the hybrid. I own a 300h.

But to answer, i fill with 87. Higher octane gas is not better...just burns slower than lower octane gas.

I drive over 600 miles, mostly highway before needing to get gas.

Cost is relative..usually at around $2.80 and around 14 gallons. I get around 40mpg.

Last edited by wowzer; 05-17-15 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 07:03 PM
Lex2015
Driver School Candidate

Default Only On Third Tank

I'm only on my third tank, so I don't have statistically reliable numbers yet, but I've gotten 21, 22 and 23 mpg for those three tanks. I think the increase on the latest tank was due to not needing the air conditioner on my work commute.

I use Costco regular, as it is a Top Tier gas. My driving is mostly suburban: a mix of stop and go, 40 MPH roads, and the occasional freeway.

Last edited by Lex2015; 05-18-15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-19-15, 10:38 AM
vimal01997
Rookie

I usually pay $40-$45 for a full tank of gas at Shell, and I fill up with regular (83). I fill up maybe once or twice a month. No, I do not have a hybrid, it's a 350. It's the fact that I store the car in my garage and only use it when I'm going somewhere out of town. I've had it since October 2013, and I've only got around 22K miles on it. I took care of her very well. Nice and clean, and the lexus dealer also complimented my car with a nice "You have a very nice and clean car! I'm impressed!" Made me feel good. I also get around 23-26 mpg combined. I got around 31-34 mpg highway with a K&N intake which I recently took out
Old 05-20-15, 10:18 AM
Niscur32
Driver School Candidate

Once a week, ~400mi per tank 23c/28h mpg, around $32-$36 @$2.35-$2.60 per gallon, and use WAWA as its convenient.
Old 05-21-15, 03:59 PM
Steve9R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
1) As mentioned earlier, the ES350 only requires 87/regular. Putting anything higher would be a waste of money since there are no fuel economy or performance gains.

I can't stand driving in ECO since it really makes the car feel sluggish and it dials back the AC. Mostly leave it in Normal, with occasional Sport mode.
I tend to disagree with your initial comment here. My driving style is similar to yours, where I run normal mode and sport occasionally, Ive been monitoring my fuel usage through Fuelly.com for years, and have done the same since owning the ES300h.

What ive done recently though is to compare Premium Unleaded 95 vs Premium Unleaded 98 fuels to see if there is any difference between them in terms of economy. Ive driven exactly the same way to work every day and havent done anything out of the ordinary, yet ive found i get 6% better economy out the Premium 98 fuel over the Premium 95 fuel.

So by saying there is no benefit using anything over 87 octane is untrue, unless you can back that up with documented real world facts ?

Sure Lexus state anything over 87 is 'fine' and it is, you just wont get the best results from the system.

My 2c.

Steve
Old 05-21-15, 06:58 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve9R
I tend to disagree with your initial comment here. My driving style is similar to yours, where I run normal mode and sport occasionally, Ive been monitoring my fuel usage through Fuelly.com for years, and have done the same since owning the ES300h.

What ive done recently though is to compare Premium Unleaded 95 vs Premium Unleaded 98 fuels to see if there is any difference between them in terms of economy. Ive driven exactly the same way to work every day and havent done anything out of the ordinary, yet ive found i get 6% better economy out the Premium 98 fuel over the Premium 95 fuel.

So by saying there is no benefit using anything over 87 octane is untrue, unless you can back that up with documented real world facts ?

Sure Lexus state anything over 87 is 'fine' and it is, you just wont get the best results from the system.

My 2c.

Steve
I have not done the math but are you saving any money by using the higher octane? There has to be a price difference per liter/gallon.
Old 05-21-15, 09:19 PM
Steve9R
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jollick
I have not done the math but are you saving any money by using the higher octane? There has to be a price difference per liter/gallon.
Correct there is a price difference, for example today the price difference between 95 and 98 is 4.5% at the pump, yet if i use 95 i get 6% less economy.. so im better off purchasing 98.. i know its not going to save the world, and honestly i dont care about the monetary value, i am purely using it as an example that the higher the octane the more distance and economy you will active whilst also getting the better octane power benefits at the same time..

Steve
Old 05-21-15, 09:55 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I assume you're not based on the US? It's rare to find 98 in most places. I've been running 93 and I haven't noticed any hesitation, it's a lot cheaper than the 97 we get here and does the job just as good.

Quick Reply: How much do you guys spend on Gas? ES350