Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

storing my 2015 ES Hybrid while on vacation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 09:15 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default storing my 2015 ES Hybrid while on vacation

Seeking input from other (2015) ES 300h owners...

I am going on a 2+ week vacation this summer. I am new to Hybrids and this will be the longest that I will leave my ES without driving it (I did leave it for just under a week in my garage 2 months ago, in the depths of a Canadian winter, without problem).

Is there anything I should (or could) do to prepare it? I am concerned that the 12-volt battery may die in that time if the car is not started every so often.

Is it OK to just leave it in the garage and then boost it when I return (if it needs it)? Can I boost it with one of those self-contained (lithium-ion) battery boosters, or is it better to call Lexus roadside assistance?

Or should I hook up a battery maintainer? Is it safe to hook up the maintainer and leave it running unattended for 3 weeks, and in a closed single-car garage?

Or should I have someone come in every few days and start it and leave it running for a little bit (how long?)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-21-15, 09:39 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have somebody come and start it and let it run for about 10-15 minutes at least 1 time per week. That should be fine. I'd ask your local Lexus dealer about a battery tender. We sell them at my dealership for $99.00, and have many customers leave them plugged in for 4-6 months while they vacation somewhere warm for the winter.
Old 04-21-15, 09:44 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've left my 300h for 2+ weeks without any problem. I wouldn't worry about it even for up to 3 weeks.
Old 04-21-15, 10:25 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

You don't need someone to come and start your car and run it for "10-15 minutes each time". That is actually not advised and wasteful. For a 2 - 3 week period your car should start right up. Any longer than that I'd attach a battery tender. The battery tender can be left on for months in a closed garage with nothing to worry about. I use two BT every year on two cars for about 5 continuous months. You can buy a BT just about anywhere - not at your Lexus dealer - for about $50.00.
Old 04-21-15, 10:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

So 2 to 3 weeks sitting should not run down my 12-volt battery? And if the battery does die, I just call for a boost from roadside assistance?

I will look at a battery tender (I will look at my dealer but not necessarily buy one there).

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-15, 11:33 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

You'll be fine, even without the battery tender. If it was the middle of winter with -30c and you keep it outside I'd expect a dead battery... given it's spring now, you have nothing to fear.

If this was was approaching, 7-8years [typical batt. life], then I'd expect to come back to a dead car.

Your car is virtually brand new. Leave it, it'll be fine.
Just park it, and enjoy the vacation!
Old 04-21-15, 07:17 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
You'll be fine, even without the battery tender. If it was the middle of winter with -30c and you keep it outside I'd expect a dead battery... given it's spring now, you have nothing to fear.

If this was was approaching, 7-8years [typical batt. life], then I'd expect to come back to a dead car.

Your car is virtually brand new. Leave it, it'll be fine.
Just park it, and enjoy the vacation!
Thanks! And thanks also to everyone else who responded. You have all given me great confidence that I should have no problem leaving my (almost new) Hybrid in the garage for 2-3 weeks this summer.
Old 04-21-15, 10:17 PM
xclream
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We once owned a 1997 Camry, and once left the country overseas for 10 months. Car sat in the garage for 10 months.

Came home in the middle of winter, inserted the key, fired right up.

But this was back in the days where cars didn't have much "brain", 2+ weeks, 3 maybe pushing it, should be safe.
Old 04-21-15, 11:40 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Today's cars are like moving computers and need juice to keep them going. For the 300h, I'm not sure if it's just the accessory battery in the trunk or the traction batteries are a concern for long term storage and startup. Maybe someone here has experience?
Old 04-22-15, 09:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Today's cars are like moving computers and need juice to keep them going. For the 300h, I'm not sure if it's just the accessory battery in the trunk or the traction batteries are a concern for long term storage and startup. Maybe someone here has experience?
We have an RX with the same keyless entry and have routinely left it for up to a month at a time with no problems at all. I understand the keyless systems have an active receiver to "listen" for the key so they do use some power even when sitting idle. Anyway, never had a problem with the 12V battery running down. We have left our Priuses idle for two week vacations, and the hybrid battery takes a day or two to get back to normal, but otherwise no problems with the 12V battery.
Old 04-23-15, 06:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

It's hit or miss. I bought a tender after mine wouldn't start after sitting for a couple weeks. Now it starts every time.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-15, 09:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ward6096
We have an RX with the same keyless entry and have routinely left it for up to a month at a time with no problems at all. I understand the keyless systems have an active receiver to "listen" for the key so they do use some power even when sitting idle. Anyway, never had a problem with the 12V battery running down. We have left our Priuses idle for two week vacations, and the hybrid battery takes a day or two to get back to normal, but otherwise no problems with the 12V battery.

The now-usual remote locking feature means the car is constantly listening for a signal from the keyfob.

I understand that the keyless entry / keyless start feature on the car (like on this generation of ES) actually transmits a signal AND listens for a response from the keyfob. They tell you not to store the keyfob near any transmitting radio sources (including AM/FM radio and remote garage door openers) to maintain the life of the keyfob battery, since the keyfob is constantly listening.

The problem with the 12-volt battery in hybrids is that is it a lower capacity battery than on normal cars, so it will drain faster.
Old 04-23-15, 09:16 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
It's hit or miss. I bought a tender after mine wouldn't start after sitting for a couple weeks. Now it starts every time.

Good luck!

How old was yours when this started happening?

When you put in on the tender, you plug it in and leave it for the 2+ weeks you are gone? Do you leave it in a garage during that time?
Old 04-23-15, 09:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How old was yours when this started happening?

When you put in on the tender, you plug it in and leave it for the 2+ weeks you are gone? Do you leave it in a garage during that time?
Just about a year old when it happened. I probably took a bunch of short trips prior to the first issue. I moved and it seems everything is within a mile of my house. I now take he train in, so the car can sit for weeks at a time, especially during the winter. My wife has a CR-V we drive consistently.

Always been garage kept. The tender is always plugged in, unless I plan on taking the car a couple days in a row.
Old 04-23-15, 02:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The now-usual remote locking feature means the car is constantly listening for a signal from the keyfob.

I understand that the keyless entry / keyless start feature on the car (like on this generation of ES) actually transmits a signal AND listens for a response from the keyfob. They tell you not to store the keyfob near any transmitting radio sources (including AM/FM radio and remote garage door openers) to maintain the life of the keyfob battery, since the keyfob is constantly listening.

The problem with the 12-volt battery in hybrids is that is it a lower capacity battery than on normal cars, so it will drain faster.
Not sure how it is on the ES, but on both my IS and RX, there is a battery saving function to prevent this draining from happening. This is from my RX manual:

■Battery-saving function
If the vehicle is parked for a long period of time, the battery-saving function is activated
in order to prevent the vehicle 12-volt battery from being discharged and the
electronic key battery from being depleted.
●In the following circumstances, unlocking the vehicle using the entry function
may take longer than usual:
• When the entry function has not been used for 5 days or more
• When the electronic key has been left within approximately 6 ft. (2 m) of the
vehicle for 10 minutes or more
●If the entry function has not been used for 14 days or more, the vehicle cannot
be unlocked by a door other than the driver's door. To unlock the vehicle, grip
the driver's door handle or use the wireless remote control or the mechanical
key.

Quick Reply: storing my 2015 ES Hybrid while on vacation