ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 Lexus ES Refresh Officially Unveiled

Old 04-24-15, 07:02 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I've always wondered why different factories have different levels of orange peel paint. They're all using robot sprayers now so the quality should be very similar if the calibrations are correct. That said, my ES has the best paint of any car I've had so far, no orange peel areas on the Starfire Pearl paint at all.
Old 04-24-15, 07:27 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ES300h will continue to be built in Japan, but the ES350 will now be built at the Kentucky plant with MY16.
Old 04-24-15, 07:31 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by airgas1998
exactly.....i've observed the same. the orange peel is simply non-existent. why can't they do the same here.
VOC and other environmental regulations in the U.S.?
Old 04-24-15, 08:00 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by Arty101
VOC and other environmental regulations in the U.S.?
yeah....i'd believe that, but i think Japan is even more stringent.
Old 04-25-15, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by airgas1998
exactly.....i've observed the same. the orange peel is simply non-existent. why can't they do the same here.
My 2003 ES built in Japan had pretty terrible orange peel lol. Japanese built Prius was a rattle trap.
Old 04-25-15, 11:33 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

why are the hybrids being built in Japan and the petrol engine in Kentucky ? Maybe because the battery factories are in Japan and its cost effective ?
Old 05-17-15, 10:51 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Spotted in the US!

I really want to see it in black.
Old 05-17-15, 11:11 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vihzel
The ES300h will continue to be built in Japan, but the ES350 will now be built at the Kentucky plant with MY16.
Nope, nope, nope. I've seen their work, this is only going to lead to some extremely poor assembly. Cars built in Japan seem like they're assembled by people with extreme OCD, while American-built workers seem like they don't care.
There is a very apparent difference in fit and finish between the two.
Old 05-18-15, 01:45 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I really, really want that grille. Makes my 2014 ES look frumpy in comparison. I'd say the new grille makes light colors like white and silver look a lot better.
Old 05-18-15, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NickTee
Nope, nope, nope. I've seen their work, this is only going to lead to some extremely poor assembly. Cars built in Japan seem like they're assembled by people with extreme OCD, while American-built workers seem like they don't care.
And you know this how? So all Toyotas built in the US seem like they were made by workers who don't care? I absolutely disagree.
Old 05-18-15, 06:14 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

I also disagree with this assessment. In order to remain competitive and save on tariffs and taxes, many manufacturers now build in America. M-B, BMW, VW, Honda, Toyota, and probably additional others. I don't believe that any of these companies would risk their reputation and company bottom line on poor quality. Word gets out fast and sales would decline. Look at GM in the eighties and nineties. It is my opinion that Americans can build cars just as good as others as long as they are properly trained and the company demands perfection. This, I see Lexus (Toyota) doing in Kentucky. An additional plus are the jobs created for Americans. I'm quite sure that the 2016 Lexus built in Kentucky will be under the microscope for quality issues. Time will tell...
Old 05-18-15, 10:02 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And you know this how? So all Toyotas built in the US seem like they were made by workers who don't care? I absolutely disagree.
I know this from having seen countless cars that demonstrate this exact statement. Did I say that every Toyota is built like that? No. I said the ones I have I seen, and that is a very large number, look like that.
Time will tell, but I will not be surprised to see complaints on fit and finish straight from the dealership floor.
Old 05-18-15, 10:47 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The best selling Lexus, the RX line is mostly built in NAmerica. We don't hear any issue about them, nor for the Toyota Camerys or Avalons. I have to agree with bc6152 Bob.
Old 05-18-15, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know this from having seen countless cars that demonstrate this exact statement. Did I say that every Toyota is built like that? No. I said the ones I have I seen, and that is a very large number, look like that.
Time will tell, but I will not be surprised to see complaints on fit and finish straight from the dealership floor.
So where do you see this "very large number" of US built Toyotas? I've look at a lot of Toyotas when shopping for the Jeep, looking at the Highlander, etc, looking at minivans...I haven't seen these "very large numbers" of poorly built US spec Toyotas.

Lexus already makes the RX in Canada, where are the complaints?
Old 05-18-15, 02:41 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The RX is built in Canada not more than 5 miles from my home and is as highly regarded as any Lexus IMO. I know that cars can be built to high standards in the U.S. as well having owned 3 generations of Acura TLs built in Ohio which were all high quality reliable cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus ES Refresh Officially Unveiled