ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES - Photo

Old 04-17-15, 09:33 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the current spindle style. Call me old fashioned.
Old 04-17-15, 09:34 AM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I also think it's a real photo because the enlarged chrome grille surround lines up with the inside edge of the headlight. The headlights look roughly the same except for the LED swoosh placed closer to the projectors and the removal of the ugly bulbous outer ends, in favor of a more upturned edge.
Whoever the artist was for the "leaked photo" messed up pretty badly on the upper portion of the chrome border. The chrome border on a grill would not simply disappear and look exactly like white paint. It literally looks like there's no chrome right by the headlights. You can see the middle top part of the chrome border appear very prominently and obviously. Where did the sections to the right and left disappear to? Chrome wouldn't simply just disappear and cause a very strong disconnect in a line like that.

Also, the black grill in this photo looks recessed into the body of the car, while the teaser pic shows that it lines up right with the chrome border.

You also point out the differences in the headlights. They should look identical and not just "roughly the same". That demonstrates right there that there's something wrong with this "leaked photo" and the teaser pic. Why are the turn signals on the photo completely flush and swooped back, while the teaser pic shows it protruding to the side and not completely flush?
Old 04-17-15, 09:42 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The problem with the current grille is that the body color bumper strip makes the spindle look more like mirrored polygons, instead of a single coherent shape. The chrome surround, satin gray upper grille and black honeycomb lower grille look mismatched. It's not much different to the previous gen ES grille or even a Nissan sedan grille. The refreshed all black grille makes the car stand out a lot more.

Ok where's my Plastidip..

Last edited by chromedome; 04-17-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 12:02 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Where Lexus started losing me as far as exterior design is when they started putting the DRL LEDs separate from the headlights like you see on the new IS, NX and RX. I prefer when the LEDs are integrated within the headlight like the ES, GS and LS, and previous RX. I think our headlights look much better, these new ones look like they belong on a Corolla. The new Lexus are looking more and more like Japanese kit cars, and while there is nothing wrong with that and i know it has a huge following, i personally prefer the 2014 and previous designs much more.
Originally Posted by Arty101
I like the current spindle style. Call me old fashioned.
+1
Originally Posted by chromedome

Ok where's my Plastidip..
when you described the look of a lighter color ES as a "bloated frog" i know exactly what you talking about as far as how the the front grille and hood look from certain angles. If you black it out, you wont see that anymore because the grille wont be jumping at you rather it will look sunken in if you know what i mean and thus break up that shape and personify the spindle grille to really resemble a spindle grille, especially on a white car.

best part is if you dont like it, just peel the sucker right off, but i think you will like the look

Last edited by PirelliRC; 04-17-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 12:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliES
Where Lexus started losing me as far as exterior design is when they started putting the DRL LEDs separate from the headlights like you see on the new IS, NX and RX. I prefer when the LEDs are integrated within the headlight like the ES, GS and LS, and previous RX. I think our headlights look much better, these new ones look like they belong on a Corolla. The new Lexus are looking more and more like Japanese kit cars, and while there is nothing wrong with that and i know it has a huge following, i personally prefer the 2014 and previous designs much more.
Small correction - the 2016 RX has integrated, not separate, LED DRLs.
Old 04-17-15, 12:20 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

your are correct, my mistake, and while i was looking at some new images of the RX, i must retract my statement about not liking the new RX. It looks fantastic actually, very nice. I thought it had jagged lines like the NX but its actually very smooth like the previous RX.
Old 04-17-15, 12:24 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't like it...
Old 04-17-15, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

No surprise, the folks with 13-15 models don't like it Always the way.

I like it, have to see some other angles and colors to see how the shapes of the front interact with each other, and need to see down the sides to see if they tweaked the plain sides a little to tie in with the more complex nose.
Old 04-17-15, 02:24 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

I have been checking to see if any other place has the same picture and the "leaked photo" only exists on a Taiwanese Facebook fan page. The authenticity of the "photo" being an actual leak is incredibly small.
Old 04-17-15, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

These two pictures are clearly of the same car.
Old 04-17-15, 02:27 PM
Vihzel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
These two pictures are clearly of the same car.
I would bet that one is real and the other one is an artistic rendering of what the vehicle will look like. People do artistic renderings all the time. Can anyone explain the clear disconnect of the chrome border of the grill on the top part and the difference in the protruding turn signal in the teaser pic and the swooped back, flush turn signal in the "leaked photo"?

The fog light design even look different between the teaser pic and the rendering. Am I the only one who can see these differences?

I also noticed another mistake in the "leaked photo". If you look closely at the fog lights in the photo, you will see that they use different lights. The left side looks circular, while the right side looks like an oval.

Last edited by Vihzel; 04-17-15 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They are both photographs, the one is just from an angle looking up at that corner, its meant to be a teaser photo. The other is just of the car dead on.

I see absolutely no differences in any of the areas you're describing, its all just angles.
Old 04-17-15, 06:28 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

They are both photographs, the one is just from an angle looking up at that corner, its meant to be a teaser photo. The other is just of the car dead on.

I see absolutely no differences in any of the areas you're describing, its all just angles.
On this rare occasion, I agree with SW13GS.
Old 04-17-15, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
On this rare occasion, I agree with SW13GS.
We should run for congress LOL
Old 04-17-15, 07:00 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

No surprise, the folks with 13-15 models don't like it
I've got an 05 ES and neither do I.

The ES should be a more understated luxurious offering from Lexus, and thus the grille should represent elegance rather than aggression.

Leave the sharp angles and gaping grille to the IS, GS and NX!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 ES - Photo