ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

need advice on buying a new lexus in a few months

Old 04-20-15, 11:39 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a hybrid cult here and we're very happy with our cars

Anyway, I totally agree with the previous posters on the awesome hybrid torque and the overall peace and quiet when stopped or in slow traffic. It also makes an awesome Tesla-like whine when you shoot off from traffic lights in sport mode. V8 diehards, don't laugh...

However, the ES300h sounds horrible at full throttle - the engine goes straight to 6000 rpm and makes a huge roar while road speed slowly catches up without any gear steps in between. The HSD system acts like a cone-and-belt CVT in that case. The ES350 has a much smoother sound and goes through the gears like a normal car.

I rarely go full throttle so the sound doesn't bother me. I also love getting 45 mpg on such a big car. You might have to test drive both cars to see which you prefer.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-20-15 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 11:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised that some of the 300h drivers here get over 40 mpg given the propensity to drive it like a Tesla racing a Hellcat .
Old 04-20-15, 11:54 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I'm surprised that some of the 300h drivers here get over 40 mpg given the propensity to drive it like a Tesla racing a Hellcat .
LMAO..

wow chrome, you are getting 45 MPG now ? im definitely jelli
Old 04-21-15, 12:47 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Yesterday anyway, my tank average went down a bit after some Tesla impersonations

And no Arty101, they aren't mutually exclusive, you can have crazy electric boost takeoffs and still get 40+ mpg on a tank, provided you don't do the Tesla thing too often. That's what I love about the ESh, it's a real Jekyll and Hyde car. Make it a game of reward and punishment - for every Sport mode takeoff you do, you have to do a long coast and gentle start from ten lights.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-21-15 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 11:49 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I do a Tesla takeoff, I see the avg FE tick down by a couple of tenths. Then I need to do a lot more glide to make up which pisses off the other guys behind me.
Old 04-22-15, 06:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliES

Also with regenerative braking, i have heard people going 100,000 miles and not need a brake change, factor that in your costs as well.

- ES 300h compared to a ES 350 based on my miles driven which is 2000 miles a month. And ES 350 with 21 MPG and ES 300 h with 35 MPG, which are real world figures.

2000 / 21 = 95.2 gals - 95.2 gal x $2.99 = $284

2000 / 35 = 57.1 gals - 57.1 gal x $2.99 = $170

284 - 170 = $114 savings a month from a regular ES 350

ES 300 H costs $2700 more than ES 350 - $2700 / $114 = 23.6 months

So i will break even in 2 years, and after that i will save $1,368 a year. Im planning on keeping this car for a long long time, so you can do the math and see how much you will save in the long run. If you are leasing for 2 or 3 years than maybe the hybrid is not for you, but if you are buying it like i am it absolutely make sense. Not to mention the satisfying feeling instant torque, smooth acceleration and no clunky gear changes. With all the factors combined, it was a no brainer to buy the hybrid.

Just giving you options
I have to say I am amused seeing people do the math to "justify" the hybrid. I mean no offense, but there are more reasons to buy a hybrid than simply the gas mileage. Frankly, I can afford the gas and would buy another (our 3rd) Prius if economy was my primary motivation. I love the smooth, quiet drive of a hybrid. I personally think it is worth the extra money just for the additional comfort level. The improved gas mileage is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

I too am buying, but I like it enough that I would do the hybrid even if leasing. My personal opinion is that most people trying to justify the cost based on gas savings haven't driven one and just don't understand the differences. Either model is a nice ride.
Old 04-23-15, 10:14 AM
BIGABQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my 2014 300h !! Being retired and usually just putting around town doing my daily business, I find myself enjoying slipping into sport at stoplights. Brings a smile to my face, boy it quick. Sometime I just want to exercise it a little and drive up to Santa Fe about 47 miles one way. What a great highway car. I am not sorry ever buying this car. :
Old 04-23-15, 01:27 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I have to say I am amused seeing people do the math to "justify" the hybrid. I mean no offense, but there are more reasons to buy a hybrid than simply the gas mileage. Frankly, I can afford the gas and would buy another (our 3rd) Prius if economy was my primary motivation. I love the smooth, quiet drive of a hybrid. I personally think it is worth the extra money just for the additional comfort level. The improved gas mileage is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

I too am buying, but I like it enough that I would do the hybrid even if leasing. My personal opinion is that most people trying to justify the cost based on gas savings haven't driven one and just don't understand the differences. Either model is a nice ride.
says the guy that owns a Prius. If fuel economy wasn't a quote unquote "big deal" for you then you would not buy a Prius. The only reason someone buys a Prius is to save on gas and because its a cheap car. It drives like crap, is ridiculously tiny and unbearably slow. Give me a break. Prius owners act like they can afford a P85D Tesla but they just dont want to.

Obviously we can all afford the gas if we are driving $40,000 - $50,000 vehicles, but why pay more for fuel than you have to ? If i couldn't afford the gas i would buy a Prius like you.

Last edited by PirelliRC; 04-23-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 07:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PirelliES
says the guy that owns a Prius. If fuel economy wasn't a quote unquote "big deal" for you then you would not buy a Prius. The only reason someone buys a Prius is to save on gas and because its a cheap car. It drives like crap, is ridiculously tiny and unbearably slow. Give me a break. Prius owners act like they can afford a P85D Tesla but they just dont want to.

Obviously we can all afford the gas if we are driving $40,000 - $50,000 vehicles, but why pay more for fuel than you have to ? If i couldn't afford the gas i would buy a Prius like you.
Wow! We don't own a Prius. You seem to be confused. I did NOT buy another Prius but rather an ES 300H just like you.
Old 04-23-15, 08:28 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

PirelliES, he said he meant no offense

I'd say only the Prius makes financial sense over other cars in most cases, whereas luxury hybrids are too expensive just for saving fuel. I could have gotten a fully loaded ES250 or a Passat instead of my base model ES300h and still have lots left over for fuel. It's the finer stuff - 1000 km tank range, silent cruising at town speeds and loads of low down torque - that are worth the extra cost over other cars, IMHO.
Old 04-23-15, 08:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chromedome
PirelliES, he said he meant no offense

I'd say only the Prius makes financial sense over other cars in most cases, whereas luxury hybrids are too expensive just for saving fuel. I could have gotten a fully loaded ES250 or a Passat instead of my base model ES300h and still have lots left over for fuel. It's the finer stuff - 1000 km tank range, silent cruising at town speeds and loads of low down torque - that are worth the extra cost over other cars, IMHO.
Agreed, on both counts. I was merely trying to point out that there are numerous things to like about the behavior of a hybrid, beyond focusing only on the fuel savings. The point of my post was to share things I like about the hybrid ES for the benefit of the OP who's comments suggested he may not have considered a hybrid. I was advocating for the very vehicle you (PirelliES) drive.

Perhaps good for a debate on a separate thread but we digress...
Old 04-23-15, 10:48 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Wow! We don't own a Prius. You seem to be confused. I did NOT buy another Prius but rather an ES 300H just like you.
you stated you own 2 Prius... whatever man forget it