ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

need advice on buying a new lexus in a few months

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 09:28 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on buying a new lexus in a few months

I'm in the mid 20s and have finally saved enough to get a nice upgrade car from a 1997 corolla. I'm doing research right now and planning to make a purchase in summer. I was looking at the es350 and is250. They both look nice, but I can't decide which one. lol My budget is around 42k. Here are the questions:

1) Which car is a better buy in the long run?
2) Let's say in 1 year. Which car saves money on gas? (Please don't suggest me a hybrid, because I don't like the lack of power in the hybrid.)
3) Which car have a smoother ride as in road bumps
4) Which car is quieter as in road noise
5) Which one feels more luxury...lol
6) Which one has a higher resale value?

EDIT:

I think my choice of color is going to be starfire white. Hmmm either parch white or black interior with starfire white exterior? Err... both looks niceee

7) If you guys owned the the IS or ES, did you guy regret anything? lol

Last edited by lexusplz; 04-14-15 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 10:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If you're waiting for summer to consider buying the ES, you might want to wait a little longer for the 2016. The new 2016 ES is suppose to have many improvements and different exterior styling, it might even have the upgraded 300 hp V6 like in the next RX.

If you test drive the IS250, you'll find out that it is majorly underpowered. It handles better than the ES because of the RWD setup, but no power for thrills. Consider stepping up to the IS350, maybe CPO if it's too much.

I've had experience driving the IS250 as a loaner for about a week and have a 2015 ES350 and GS350 in the garage. Since you're only interested in the IS and ES, I'll only comment about those:

1) Can't go wrong with either the IS or ES in regards to reliablity. For practicality, the ES is much better in this area. The rear seats and cabin is massively bigger in the ES. If your priorities and needs change, at least the ES can handle it.
2) Even though the ES is a bigger car, I think you will get better MPG in it compared to the IS250. If you have a vigorous driving style, you will be constantly pushing the IS250 hard to get moving, therefore reducing fuel economy dramatically.
3) The ES definitely has the smoother and luxurious ride. The IS is made to be sporty, so you'll feel a lot more bumps.
4) The ES is definitely much quieter when it comes to road noise.
5) The ES feels more luxurious due to its size, ride, and interior feel. The IS feels more intimate and sporty. In terms of interior material quality, they are both about the same.
6) They are both very popular models in the Lexus range, therefore both have good resale value. Resale will depend on the model and options you get (IS: F-sport vs. Luxury vs. base; ES: Ultra Luxury vs. Luxury vs. Premium vs. base). You definitely get more for your money in the ES though (size, comfortable ride, more luxury options).

You definitely should pay a visit to your local dealer to test drive them back to back. While you are there, take a look at the GS too. I think it is the perfect middle ground for being bigger than the IS, but sportier than the ES, and more power and refinement than the two. You can get a pretty nice, low-mileage CPO GS350 for $42K, especially in CA. These are my opinions but you are ultimately the one that will live with your decision. Choose wisely, good luck!

Last edited by dchar; 04-13-15 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 06:28 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw,
I have a hybrid, and took a 350 loaner. I didn't notice a huge increase in power. seemed about the same.

OTOH, with gas prices it makes less sense to buy the hybrid *(unless you get HOV access like me )

back to the OP.

the IS seemed to have a very small interior. -very tight fit...
Old 04-14-15, 07:28 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't add much more to the equation than dchar but it largely depends on what you're looking for in a car. From my own perspective if I were still in my mid- 20's I'd probably be looking at the IS but with the 3.5 litre simply because I would still want a sporty car. However if you are more luxury-minded than the ES is your ride. I would spend quality test-ride time with both IS and ES and see which one best suits your style. Good luck and let us know what you do. You cant go wrong either way.
Old 04-14-15, 07:53 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Let me start by saying I am an **** financial guy, and you seem very prudent with your finances, so I will throw out another idea. You can get a 2011 or 2012 ES350 for probably 25-28k. While it is the previous generation ES, it would provide a great, luxurious ride, good gas mileage (with regular gas) and would be a great improvement over your Corolla. Plus it potentially leaves you with 15k of savings.
Old 04-14-15, 08:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusplz
I'm in the mid 20s and have finally saved enough to get a nice upgrade car from a 1997 corolla. I'm doing research right now and planning to make a purchase in summer. I was looking at the es350 and is250. They both look nice, but I can't decide which one. lol My budget is around 42k. Here are the questions:

2) Let's say in 1 year. Which car saves money on gas? (Please don't suggest me a hybrid, because I don't like the lack of power in the hybrid.)
The funny thing is, both the IS 250 and the ES 300h show 0 to 60 times of 7.5 sec's.

I would never get an IS 250, though. Way too much show and no go.
Old 04-14-15, 10:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

In addition to what's been posted above, if you are seriously considering an IS and don't want to go for the IS350, consider waiting for the IS200t, which is supposed to be coming for 2016. This ought to give both good power/performance and fuel mileage.

The IS and ES are so incredibly different, I really think you just need to go drive both and most likely, your answer will become pretty clear.
Old 04-14-15, 08:12 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree with JDR76. These are very different cars with different target markets. You need to narrow your search down with some test drives. Since you are posting in the ES forum, you might imagine that we have some biases. Many of us already compared Lexus sedans (as well as other brands) and landed on the ES. You may also want to prioritize that list because each car has its strengths.

I would argue that you shouldn't discount a hybrid. Keep an open mind and give one a test drive before you write it off. The Lexus hybrids are not as wimpy as one might think. You did say you wanted smooth and quiet, and the CVT transmission is extremely smooth and a hybrid is very quiet. You just might be surprised...
Old 04-14-15, 08:17 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The ES300h won't have the top end power of a 350 but the mid range torque is stronger, especially in Sport mode. I find it easier to overtake thanks to the electric boost at very low RPM whereas with the 350, you have to wait for the engine to hit its torque peak at higher RPMs. Think of it as a grunty turbo with no lag and crazy-good fuel consumption
Old 04-14-15, 08:22 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the electric motor has great low end torque which helps the acceleration.
Old 04-14-15, 08:25 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Btw, CR ranked the iS250 the bottom of the Lexus line, for what its worth.
Old 04-14-15, 08:45 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys. Keep them coming! In my early 20s, I did had a vision to get a sport car. Now I'm in my mid 20s and I'm a bit more mature now, so I want a practical car that is reliable. I want to spend my money wisely on my first purchase out of my pocket. I will driving this to work most of the time and driving this car on dates LOL. yeah...

I read Lexus ES 350 can run on regular?! That's 87 isn't it?

What else should I also consider when I look for a car?

Last edited by lexusplz; 04-14-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 08:47 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Yes, both the ES350 and ES300h use regular 87 gasoline.
Old 04-14-15, 08:52 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Mid-20s and mature? Don't grow old so fast young man

Anyway, I grew past the sport sedan/hot hatch stage in my mid thirties and I got the ES when the big 4-0 loomed closer. It's really something else to drive these big and quiet cars, it's like I'm in a constant Zen state in the car.
Old 04-14-15, 08:59 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I personally look for reliability, safety, looks, features, luxury, initial cost, cost to operate (incl. insurance, fuel consumption, depreciation and maintenance), usability/utility, comfort, performance (acceleration and handling) feel of the road and road noise in no particular order. These may not reflect your priorities but are things to consider nonetheless. That's part of the fun of buying a new car .

Quick Reply: need advice on buying a new lexus in a few months