ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buyer's remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 02:02 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Buyer's remorse?

Do you ever get buyer's remorse? Do you wonder sometimes that instead of that brand new ES, you could have bought a very, very nice slightly used LS for about the same manoey. I have never driven a LS but I hear they are as smooth as butter and quiet as a library. I have also heard that they barely get broken in with 25L - 30K miles..

Help me off the ledge gently please. I just spent all my savings and more on a gorgeous 2014 es300h, and am going through a (hopefully) temporary period of buyer's remorse...

Last edited by zes; 04-04-15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 02:19 PM
dxerg3770
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is one remorse I have is getting black color. Should have gotten white instead
Old 04-04-15, 02:30 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Only with my first wife!
Old 04-04-15, 02:51 PM
SpecialAgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I most definitely had buyers remorse from a few days after I bought it in October until just now. For me it was because I bought the car as a compromise; my last car wasn't practical for my new real world needs, but so much more fun and true to myself. So, to fix my buyers remorse I've made plans to make the ES more personalized to me buy doing some tasteful modifications to it.

Since your buyers remorse seems to be because you could've bought a 'better' car that's already been through its depreciation, I would advise you to simply understand that you're rolling around in a brand new luxury car and take it as it is I guess

Plus that new car smell
Old 04-04-15, 03:53 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

OK, step down slowly, that's it, just one more step and you'll be OK. Then think that you have a brand new car with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, no dents, worn seats, or scratches, and with very shiny paint.
Plus you have all of us to help you along...
Old 04-04-15, 04:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I ALWAYS have buyers remorse, but it fades after a few days with the new vehicle. We prefer the new car, not so much for the smell as just knowing how it has been treated. This is what we consider the "right" side for us, as the LS would be too large - and maybe too showy for us.

My only lingering remorse is the Black interior. Our Prius had a lighter "charcoal" interior and our RX has the parchment and both are much easier than the black. It just shows every little speck of dust and every rub mark. I am just way too **** to handle black.

Otherwise, love the ES after six weeks and no lingering remorse at all (of course, much thinner savings account as well)!
Old 04-04-15, 04:12 PM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Default SubPar

Originally Posted by zes
Do you ever get buyer's remorse? Do you wonder sometimes that instead of that brand new ES, you could have bought a very, very nice slightly used LS for about the same manoey. I have never driven a LS but I hear they are as smooth as butter and quiet as a library. I have also heard that they barely get broken in with 25L - 30K miles..

Help me off the ledge gently please. I just spent all my savings and more on a gorgeous 2014 es300h, and am going through a (hopefully) temporary period of buyer's remorse...
The total ES line went down hill in 2014. Prior to that they were excellent. The biggest buggy Boo for me was how the ride became less than expected from a Lexus. Then the interior was cut back in quality where a chevy interior now looks and feels much richer.
Sorry for that info. But most car mags report the same thing.
Old 04-04-15, 04:49 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markneups
The total ES line went down hill in 2014. Prior to that they were excellent. The biggest buggy Boo for me was how the ride became less than expected from a Lexus. Then the interior was cut back in quality where a chevy interior now looks and feels much richer.
I think you mean 2013. But I disagree. Before then the ES was a boring poor handling car. I almost fell asleep test driving the 2010 ES and bought an Acura TL instead. My current car a 2014 ES 300h is much improved over previous ES generations and the top interior is quite luxurious.

Regarding buyers remorse, if you have low mileage so that fuel costs are not an issue then the LS would certainly be a great option. I much prefer the lower weekly costs of fill-ups and still find the ES to be reasonably quiet, few cars can match it, and comfortable riding unlike many wannabe sports sedans.
Old 04-04-15, 06:20 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by markneups
Hey markneups, I want you guys to pull me back from the ledge, not push me over!!
Old 04-04-15, 06:37 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by zes
Hey markneups, I want you guys to pull me back from the ledge, not push me over!!
unfortunately it is somewhat true....what i have noticed interior wise that's a little on the cheap side are the lower door panels,sun visors, and ceiling liner.
Old 04-04-15, 06:38 PM
zes
Advanced

Guys thank you very much for making me feel better. I went through my logic again this evening:
1) All my life I bought old pieces of junk with > 150K miles from auctions, so that we could buy a house, save for our children's college, the usual family priorities. I feel that at least once in his life, a man deserves to buy a nice new car, so this had to be it for me.
2) I keep my cars for 10+ years, so if I had bought a '06 LS now, in 10 years I would be sinking major $$ to keep it on the road. I think the 2014 ES should be OK in 10 years if driven carefully.
3) I work in the renewables industry, and I believe that as a species, we are in trouble because we are producing too much CO2 and our politicians do not have the leadership qualities to lead us out of this mess. The drought in California is just a symptom of climate change that is occurring IMHO. Therefore I wanted a hybrid, so that I could reduce my own CO2 footprint, at least. The Camry and Accord hybrids did not cut it for me and the 600h is out of the question unless I win a lottery or two!
4) Ward6096, you are right about the showiness. With an LS, one appears to be making a 'statement', and I really don't want to do that.
5) I fell in love with the ES steering wheel and upper dashboard. I think it is prettier and more modern than that of an 8 year old LS.
6) Love the 3x gas mileage, 38mpg vs 12 mpg.
7) Love the spindle grill. Could not afford an LS with a spindle grill!
Thanks Guys!
Old 04-04-15, 06:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Sure the LS is the true essence of Lexus luxury and quality, but it's also in its 9th year in this gen, it's bulkier, Rwd (poorer rain/snow traction), and more costly to own and operate especially against your 300h. Your fuel costs alone especially when factoring in 87 octane for the ESh vs 91 for the LS, and you're saving over half the costs. For convenience and additional cost savings, you can also do regular servicing of your ESh at a local Toyota dealer as the powertrain is Camry/Avalon based while I would only entrust the LS' V8 and other maintenance to a Lexus technician. Also, your ES in EV mode under 25mph, dare I say, is quieter than the library-quiet LS. And finally, think about which would "stress" you more getting a door ding, windshield crack, or some other out-of-pocket repair. A 50k class vehicle or an 80k one?

Enjoy your ESh, it's a fantastically roomy, practical, and sensible luxury vehicle.
Old 04-04-15, 06:43 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by airgas1998
unfortunately it is somewhat true....what i have noticed interior wise that's a little on the cheap side are the lower door panels,sun visors, and ceiling liner.
But the steering wheel and upper dash are gorgeous, don't you think. I think that the steering wheel is the most important part of a car, because the driver actually holds it every day. Is it not nice to hold something as beautiful as a nice think wooden steering wheel, which unfortunately only heated on the 3 and 9 o'clock positions?
Old 04-04-15, 06:49 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sure the LS is the true essence of Lexus luxury and quality, but it's also in its 9th year in this gen, it's bulkier, Rwd (poorer rain/snow traction), and more costly to own and operate especially against your 300h. Your fuel costs alone especially when factoring in 87 octane for the ESh vs 91 for the LS, and you're saving over half the costs. For convenience and additional cost savings, you can also do regular servicing of your ESh at a local Toyota dealer as the powertrain is Camry/Avalon based while I would only entrust the LS' V8 and other maintenance to a Lexus technician. Also, your ES in EV mode under 25mph, dare I say, is quieter than the library-quiet LS. And finally, think about which would "stress" you more getting a door ding, windshield crack, or some other out-of-pocket repair. A 50k class vehicle or an 80k one?

Enjoy your ESh, it's a fantastically roomy, practical, and sensible luxury vehicle.
Thank you sir. You are absolutely right. It is very roomy and has a nice light feel to it.
Old 04-04-15, 07:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
Thank you sir. You are absolutely right. It is very roomy and has a nice light feel to it.
You're welcome. And to some of the comments, I do agree that the presence of hard plastics in the lower portions of the dash, doors, and console may appear as a downgrade, but, it's a high quality hard plastic.

And like you, I also find the horizontal design and materials for the stitched upper dash, including the silver center HVAC/radio controls, and GS/RX identical meaty steering wheel, to be superb. Finally, take a look at your side front glass. Unlike the IS, CT, RC, and NX, the ES has Lamisafe triple-layered side glass just like the GS and LS sedans for the luxurious sound deadening qualities.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 04-04-15 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Buyer's remorse?