ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First Post, looking at ES

Old 03-30-15, 08:13 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

The recommended tire pressure on the doorsill is 33psi, but the dealers inflate to 38psi to get better mileage. I bet if the pressure is dropped to 33psi, the ride will get better. Perhaps that is the only issue with the new models. Everybody has overinflated tires!

Also, if noise is a concern, check out www.auto-decibel-db.com. The ES 300h is one of the quietest cars around. Much quieter than even the MB E series!
Old 03-30-15, 09:24 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Zes: your comment about tire pressure is interesting. I didn't even think about it, but my gauge on the dash reads 36 & 37 pounds. I think the ride feels great (17" rims) but coming grim an RX with 19" rims and a Prius so my frame of reference is a bit on the firmer side.
Old 03-30-15, 10:08 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your gauge is showing 36 and 37 psi now in the winter/spring, your tire will certainly be higher in the summer and more firm and noisy.
Old 03-31-15, 04:09 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not sure how the auto decibel site got their figures. I'd trust Motor Trend or Car & Driver numbers. I did a totally unscientific test with an Android decibel meter app: at 80 km/h or 50 mph, I got 68 db on coarse roads and 63 db on new smooth roads. I got 30 db at idle with the engine off but electric systems on.

On the ES300h, there's not much wind or engine noise below 40 mph but you get traction motor whine instead. Tire roar can be an issue depending on the tire model and road surface.
Old 03-31-15, 06:26 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I'm not sure how the auto decibel site got their figures. I'd trust Motor Trend or Car & Driver numbers. I did a totally unscientific test with an Android decibel meter app: at 80 km/h or 50 mph, I got 68 db on coarse roads and 63 db on new smooth roads. I got 30 db at idle with the engine off but electric systems on.
Yeah, those apps are just toys. Nothing even remotely close to accurate.
Old 03-31-15, 06:56 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Like Canesguy I also test drove both Avalon Limited and ES before buying the ES for a couple of different reasons.

1) As he mentioned I got a much better deal on similarly-equipped models due to incentives and demand at the time (August 2014). My ES has the luxury/nav packages with rear sunshade, BSM/Park Assist and several other features. I also have the 17 inch Michelins and find the ride to be very comfortable. The deal was so good compared to the Avalon I couldn't pass it up.

2) The Lexus customer experience was far and away superior to the Toyota dealer I dealt with. They treated me like royalty the moment I approached the showroom compared to Toyota thinking they were doing me a favor selling me a car. This alone would have been worth any difference in price had the Avalon been lower which it wasn't.

That being said they are both nice vehicles and I do not regret my choice. Hopefully you will drive both again and walk away with either one feeling you have made the right choice for you. Let us know how you do.
Old 03-31-15, 07:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

I had an Avalon for 6 years (2006) and would buy another in a minute. Although I consider the ES a nicer car, the Avalon has many attributes, some not available on the ES. Photos of the 2016 Avalon are online and here's a link:

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehic...AutoShow_2015|
Old 03-31-15, 09:25 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i really like the Avalon as a package, but the font end of the Avalon and Camry are very unattractive and look cheap. The Avalon front end looks like Sonata hybrid. The designers seem confused as what to do with the grille.
Old 03-31-15, 10:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
i really like the Avalon as a package, but the font end of the Avalon and Camry are very unattractive and look cheap. The Avalon front end looks like Sonata hybrid. The designers seem confused as what to do with the grille.
I agree. I really like the overall exterior looks of the Avalon, but that grill/front end is a deal breaker for me. It looks clumsy on an otherwise attractive car. I saw the 2016 at the auto show and it seems like they might have toned it down a bit.
Old 03-31-15, 10:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw the 2016 at the auto show and it seems like they might have toned it down a bit.
I know that what appeals visually to different people can vary widely, and this is a great example of that. When I looked at the pictures of the front of the 2016 Avalon, my first reaction was that it was a big step in the wrong direction. While the grille of the 2015 Avalon doesn't particularly appeal to me, I could live with it. I can't say the same thing about the grille of the 2016 Avalon. It makes me wonder if Toyota is trying to make it look like a Ram pickup, and I certainly would not describe as being "toned down".
Old 03-31-15, 11:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I know that what appeals visually to different people can vary widely, and this is a great example of that. When I looked at the pictures of the front of the 2016 Avalon, my first reaction was that it was a big step in the wrong direction. While the grille of the 2015 Avalon doesn't particularly appeal to me, I could live with it. I can't say the same thing about the grille of the 2016 Avalon. It makes me wonder if Toyota is trying to make it look like a Ram pickup, and I certainly would not describe as being "toned down".
I stand corrected! What was I thinking? I just looked at pictures of the 2016 Avalon and I see what you mean. It looks like they're going after a more aggressive, in your face look that's not needed on a car like this. I'm sure that it will continue to sell well for the Toyota division though.
Old 03-31-15, 02:06 PM
kamauxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That grill gives the Avalon a very "catfish" look.
Old 03-31-15, 03:11 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
this is how i describe it as well. the avalon is 2/3rd's very attractive until the front end.i think the avalon in the rear is nicer looking than the ES. especially the nicer looking exhaust tips.
Old 03-31-15, 10:53 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kamauxx
What were the designers thinking?
Old 04-01-15, 01:54 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

BB11 Yes, the ride in the newer ES is a little bit firmer than past generations, but the concensus is that Lexus / Toyota is going that route aiming for a younger demographic.... I will tell you that I went from an Avalon to an ES and I really prefer the ES... nothing wrong with the Avalon ( mine was a 2007 model ). My es is a 2013.. Funny thing is both my avalon and my es came with Bridgestone Turanza tires... I found them to be very noisy and a bit rough riding til the tread warms up... My plans are to dump the turanza's and go with MIchilins as soon as the current tires wear down... also the es with 17" wheels does ride a bit smoother than the 18" wheels... but I personally think the 18's look a little better on the car... one other note that might smooth out your ride... when I drove my car home from the dealership I was shocked at how rough it was riding.... then I checked the air pressure... all 4 tires were around 38 psi... lowered them all to 32 psi and that made a world of difference.... hope this helps.

Poppa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Post, looking at ES