Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

detail cost-too much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-15, 02:17 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default detail cost-too much?

Hi everyone... wanted to run something past you and get your opinion... A buddy of mine told me that he occasionally takes his car to a specialized detail shop... said he goes there a couple of times a year to keep his car in good shape.... I'm long past the days of doing these sorts of things myself so I called that shop today to get some info... what do they do, how much... well it turns out they have several packages..

package 1: hand wash / hand dry / dress the tires / vacuum & shampoo all carpet including carpet in the trunk / all leather cleaned / door panels cleaned / and hand wax.....

package 2: all of the above, plus clear coat polish..

pkg 1 cost $139 + tax
pkg 2 cost $203 + tax

my first concern was the wax or polish... when I was a kid I burned the paint on one of my cars because I didn't use the orbital buffer correctly.. but the guy at the detail shop told me they don't use electric buffers.... one of the reasons I'm considering doing this is the carpets in my car are beige ( light in color ) and starting to show some dirt, especially on the drivers side, so having the carpet cleaned would be nice... so my question to you is which pkg would you go with... seems like a clear coat polish would really make it "pop"... but the car is only a year and half old so it's not like the paint needs to be brought back to life.... it's something I would only do once or twice a year at most, so I'm leaning to pkg 2... just wanted to see what some of you would do... thanks.

Poppa
Old 03-27-15, 04:36 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

There's a wealth of info over at the Detailing sub forum, maybe you could ask there about pricing. Usually washing, vacuuming and light hand polish/waxing shouldn't cost much... I usually do this myself on weekends

If you want to really make the car shine and keep looking shiny, you would need a good wash, claying, machine polish and a good protectant application. That could be done just once or twice a year with gentle washing in between. An experienced detailer won't ruin the paint using an orbital machine whereas a hand polish could end up adding swirls and scratches.

Last edited by chromedome; 03-27-15 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 07:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I just had both of our cars detailed and found it pays to shop around a bit for the services/prices you are comfortable with. Based on what I found around me, the prices you quoted seem about average give or take a few $$'s for that type of work. I was satisfied with the work and glad that I didn't have to do it myself.
Old 03-27-15, 07:57 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never let anyone touch my paint with an orbital buffer. With that said if you find a place that uses Dual Action Buffers (DA buffer) they are almost idiot proof.
Old 03-27-15, 09:16 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your fear is the orbital buffer, then I'd go with Package #1 with just the hand wax to be safe. Pricewise, it seems pretty standard.
Old 03-27-15, 10:30 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm past doing that myself too. Got my RX done at my Lexus dealer. Everything in package 2 plus cleaning the headliner, windows inside & out, for $169. They did an excellent job.
Old 03-27-15, 10:52 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Package 2, including polish and clay bar, goes anywhere from $300-$400 for full detailing here. You're getting a bargain, and I'd let them do it for $169 too.
Old 03-27-15, 06:28 PM
SpecialAgt
Driver School Candidate

As mentioned about that pricing is fair. I recently had my interior fully done, shampooed and all, which cost me $145 alone, because I had unfortunately puked in my own car -_-.

A few days later I was too lazy to attend to the dirty exterior so I had them do that too which costs $170, for washing, claying (they clayed my windows too), wax, wheel wells cleaned, tires dressed, and interior wiped down and dusted, etc. This package would've more than sufficed for my whole car if my interior hadn't been so bad.

This is all mobile detailing by the way that I used, I'm pretty pleased with them and I'm gonna have them paint correct my car too in the near future
Old 03-27-15, 06:34 PM
SpecialAgt
Driver School Candidate

The pic doesn't do it justice
Old 03-28-15, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You can't burn the paint with an orbital buffer. You can with a rotary buffer, but not an orbital, they don't generate enough heat.

Personally I'd select a detailer on recommendations and work vs expense. Those prices are pretty cheap for top quality work, I'd pass.
Old 03-28-15, 08:42 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialAgt

The pic doesn't do it justice
What is that zig-zagged color change on the upper fender where the light shines on it? Hope it's just a reflection.

Last edited by Canesguy; 03-28-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-28-15, 09:14 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
You can't burn the paint with an orbital buffer. You can with a rotary buffer, but not an orbital, they don't generate enough heat.

Personally I'd select a detailer on recommendations and work vs expense. Those prices are pretty cheap for top quality work, I'd pass.
Im with you on that point. I take quality like the saying goes sometime you get what you pay for.
Old 03-28-15, 11:16 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by grabilsm
I would never let anyone touch my paint with an orbital buffer. With that said if you find a place that uses Dual Action Buffers (DA buffer) they are almost idiot proof.
I am pretty sure you are confusing orbital with a rotary....
Old 03-28-15, 04:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by grabilsm
You mean rotary... rotary machines are more or less obsolete these days in the detailing world. Random orbital (aka Dual Action) polishers are much safer and very effective thanks to the advancement in polishing liquids over the years.

Originally Posted by SW13GS

You surely can burn paint with a DA/RO machine, however the chances are much, much lower for the reasons you mentioned.

I also agree that these prices are quite low... I imagine the "clear coat polish" mentioned is simply a quick pass with a cleaner wax or light polish and not truly any type of real correction.

Paint correction (and all of the necessary prep) is a very extensive process and therefore true professionals who produce quality work will charge accordingly. These prices do not reflect that type of work.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I am pretty sure you are confusing orbital with a rotary....
+1
Old 03-29-15, 09:16 PM
SpecialAgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
What is that zig-zagged color change on the upper fender where the light shines on it? Hope it's just a reflection.
Ya that's only a reflection