ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Windshield replacement question 2014 ES

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 06:50 PM
captarne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement question 2014 ES

New to the forum , but I haven't found any information to my questions concerning a windshield replacement and calibration.
My wife received a 15" crack in her 2014 ES 350, and was informed by Safelite Glass(Allstate) that the windshield needs to be calibrated by Lexus after installation. She then contacted Lexus dealer and was told that they don't do calibration and sent her to another glass installer that they use. Well of course that installer does not except Allstate insurance and we would have to pay for the windshield. Which is fine , the question now is what is this calibration and is it so difficult to install the windshield with all the sensors?
Old 03-26-15, 07:57 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

What does calibration of the windshield mean, specifically? Only thing I can think of is that the rain sensor has to be calibrated to turn on the wipers at the right time? Can you ask Safelight what they mean?
Old 03-27-15, 12:24 AM
captarne
Driver School Candidate

That's what I think, but it really doesn't make sense. My wife is going to go to Safelite and have them show her what they mean. Frankly it's a little confusing, after all replacing the windshield isn't rocket science.
Old 03-27-15, 07:54 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

Most of our windshields have the rain sensor and heating element. I am assuming they are referring to one of those. If that is the case the rain sensor doesn't need to be calibrated, and I don't believe the heating element does either.

Word of caution if your using a 3rd party vender to replace your windshield watch them and make sure they are putting a new seal in place don't let them reuse the old one.
Old 03-27-15, 07:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I googled this information and found two explanations: One had to do with the rain sensing wipers, and one had to do with defrosting the windscreen. Both were questions on the CL forum. I couldn't make heads nor tails with the questions or answers and so, for me, I would have to ask an installer or the Lexus dealer SM what is required.

Here is a link to one issue with replacement windscreens regarding reaffixing the rain sensor to the inside glass. It doesn't state anything about calibrations.

http://www.quora.com/Where-is-the-Le...w-does-it-work

Last edited by bc6152; 03-27-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 08:09 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

I think what they mean by "calibration" is physically reattaching the rain sensor which is the same procedure as reattaching your rear view mirror...just using some epoxy.
Old 03-27-15, 08:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by grabilsm
I think what they mean by "calibration" is physically reattaching the rain sensor which is the same procedure as reattaching your rear view mirror...just using some epoxy.
You could be right; the article stresses the importance of reattaching the sensor correctly, which would be akin to reattaching a rear view mirror. Don't know where "calibrations" enters the picture.
Old 03-27-15, 09:05 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I googled this information and found two explanations: One had to do with the rain sensing wipers, and one had to do with defrosting the windscreen. Both were questions on the CL forum. I couldn't make heads nor tails with the questions or answers and so, for me, I would have to ask an installer or the Lexus dealer SM what is required.

Here is a link to one issue with replacement windscreens regarding reaffixing the rain sensor to the inside glass. It doesn't state anything about calibrations.

http://www.quora.com/Where-is-the-Le...w-does-it-work
The reference states this:
The calibration is quite exact and can be disturbed by replacement of the windshield with an "after market" or non-dealer replacement. The adhesive tape used to attach the sensor is very important and if not set correctly will perhaps cause the system to fail.

There is not much that one needs to do to maintain the system, as it is designed to be self checking and assumes the windshield will have the normal amount of accumulation of dirt. However there are cases where the system can false trigger by the correct amount of dust or if the sun hits the sensor just right.
Old 03-27-15, 09:13 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

As far as the insurance part of this, I would demand a lexus oem windshield at this point. You are entitles to OEM quality or better, it seems that they are trying to retrofit this to an aftermarket windshield.
Old 03-27-15, 09:18 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems to me that the windshield installer needs to fit the rain sensors exactly where it needs to be, so there's no calibration done by the owner or dealer.
Old 03-27-15, 09:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to go with aftermarket glass,go with Pilkington or PGW glass.
Safelite is said to be Chinese crap in most cases.
OEM is the best but some insurance companies won't go for the $$$.
Old 03-27-15, 09:26 AM
grabilsm
Rookie

I agree it just needs to be "calibrated" into the correct place.

With that aside I would be concerned with which glass Safelite is using. It seems like they have to retrofit the sensor in place, which makes me wonder what else is different about the glass. Id make sure the new glass matches the factor tint, and the additional acoustic layer they add the the Lexus glass. Also make sure you take a hard look at the glass to see if there is any "waviness" to it.

I am hesitant because I have had 'OEM like" quality glass installed from safelite at one point, i believe it was safelites brand, and it was garbage had it replaced like 3 times before I made my insurance put lexus OEM glass in place.

Last edited by grabilsm; 03-27-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-27-15, 10:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by grabilsm
I agree it just needs to be "calibrated" into the correct place.

With that aside I would be concerned with which glass Safelite is using. It seems like they have to retrofit the sensor in place, which makes me wonder what else is different about the glass. Id make sure the new glass matches the factor tint, and the additional acoustic layer they add the the Lexus glass. Also make sure you take a hard look at the glass to see if there is any "waviness" to it.

I am hesitant because I have had 'OEM like" quality glass installed from safelite at one point, i believe it was safelites brand, and it was garbage had it replaced like 3 times before I made my insurance put lexus OEM glass in place.
There have been a couple of other threads here from people who have had windshields replaced by Safelite on their Lexus vehicles and who have not been happy. They have claimed that the glass is not, in several aspects, of the same quality, and they have also talked about how, after the replacement, things like the rain sensors did not work properly.
Old 03-27-15, 05:45 PM
captarne
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info, I feel better and my wife feels more reassured, Safelite didn't give her a warm fuzzy feeling. So we're going to the installer Lexus recommends.