ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

My Rental Car Experence.

Old 03-25-15, 02:04 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking My Rental Car Experence.

A couple of weeks ago my 3 month old ES was hit from behind. Minimal damage but still needed to be repaired.
My insurance co. graciously provided me with a rental while my my car was being repaired.

Having driven only Lexus cars for the last 11 years this was a learning experience for me.
I was a little excited to drive something different just to see how other cars have evolved in the past 11 years. The car was a cute little SUV. A 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe.
The first thing I noticed about this car was it used an actual key. No problem, I still remember how to inset a key into the ignition. Then I see that the seats are manual so I couldn't raise em up. I'm on the short side so I had to fold up my jacket to sit on. Finally, I'm ready to drive.
I pull out into the street and notice no BSM. Since I can't see very well out the back and now I'm unsure what's coming up beside me I decided to stay off the freeway and take the long way home.
I get home, pull into the driveway and shut her off. Now I can't remove the key. I call the kid next door over and he shows me how to get it out. Wow, by this time I'm exhausted but I remember that I needed some things from the store. I considered waiting for Hubby to come home so I can drive the RX but, NO. This my rental, so by gosh I'm gonna drive it. Besides it's only a mile and a half to the store.
I exchange my jacket for a pillow to sit on and put her in reverse. What? NO back up camera? Really? A 2015 car without a backup camera? I couldn't believe it. I ask the neighbor kid to please make sure there weren't any kids or pets behind me and off I go.
I come out of the store with both arms full and look at the keys. Sure enough, no button to open the hatch. So I set my bags down, open the back and load up. I back out without the help of a backup camera or cross traffic alert and drive home and park it in my driveway, promising myself it will sit right here till my ES is ready to pick up.

Now, I consider myself a normal, average person, so how in the world did I get so spoiled?
Old 03-25-15, 02:24 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um yeah...it's called a base model. you can get all of the above with the santa fe in a different trim. the rental company simply had the stripped down model.
Old 03-25-15, 02:37 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

This is what you get for $24,950.00 vs. around $45,000.00 for your Lexus 350.
Old 03-25-15, 04:41 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Historically, Lexus and Toyota have actually been quite a bit behind some of the other manufacturers with regard to including newer technology in their vehicles. For example, while Lexus has the backup camera and cross traffic alert, a number of other manufacturers have systems that will apply the brakes when the vehicle is backing up and there is cross traffic. Another example that comes to mind is that the Lexus park assist seems rather primitive when you consider that, for a number of years, other manufacturers have had systems that will automatically parallel park their vehicles. And the Lexus voice command system is also quite primitive and not nearly as functional as those from a good number of other manufacturers.

The reality is, I think, that Lexus has put an emphasis on the reliability and refinement of its vehicles, and innovation has been at a much lower priority level.
Old 03-25-15, 05:02 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

Great story Roxy! One I can relate to. I've driven Lexus vehicles for 15 years and due to budgetary constraints, I picked up a Camry XLE last year. "They" say that a Camry is just a dumbed down Lexus but I felt like I was in a completely different class of vehicle. I recently found an older Lexus I could afford and am so much happier. Hope you get yours back soon!
Old 03-25-15, 07:58 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you are not spoiled, the Santa Fe just sucks!
Old 03-25-15, 08:35 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

I am making fun of myself I have been driving for 37 years. Learned on an old Chevy truck with manual transmission.
I was amazed at how dependent I've become. Funny how fast one learns to depend on technology.

Last edited by roxy208; 03-25-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-25-15, 08:41 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swfla
Great story Roxy! One I can relate to. I've driven Lexus vehicles for 15 years and due to budgetary constraints, I picked up a Camry XLE last year. "They" say that a Camry is just a dumbed down Lexus but I felt like I was in a completely different class of vehicle. I recently found an older Lexus I could afford and am so much happier. Hope you get yours back soon!
I can understand. Can't see mysel driving anything else.
Old 03-25-15, 08:42 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Yep. I do agree.
Old 03-26-15, 12:28 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Roxy, once you go Lex, it's hard to go back to anything less .
Old 03-26-15, 01:45 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Yeah, it's easy to get spoiled with all of the features that come on most of todays vehicles... I've owned big oldsmobiles, cadillacs, etc... none of them had bsm / back up cameras / etc... and yet now after owning an avalon and now a lexus, I've become so dependent on those features... Yep, I got spoiled quick..... a word about rentals, depending on your insurance coverage, you may have been able to upgrade to a larger better equipped car... a few years back I upped my car rental coverage to around 50 bucks a day ( I think that's what it is ).. glad I did, when I wrecked my avalon ( my fault ), I was able to rent a Chrysler 300 for two weeks on the insurance companies dime. That additional 20 to 25 bucks a day in rental coverage sure pays off when you have to rent a car for a week or longer... and I believe the premium for the increased rental coverage was minimal...

Poppa
Old 03-26-15, 05:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

It is interesting how, once we have had a feature on a vehicle, we don't want to be without it.

I can remember the 1968 Camaro that I owned. At that time, a well-equipped car had an AM radio and a heater, and operating the "AC" meant manually cranking down the windows and driving a little faster.

My first car with real AC was purchased in 1974, and, after that, I would not have wanted to be without AC. My first car with power windows was bought in 1983, and I've wanted power windows ever since.

The same pattern has continued over the decades, and it applies to features that I don't even use much. My first car with a sunroof was bought in 1985. Even though I almost never use the sunroof or even open the shade, I wouldn't want a vehicle without a sunroof.

I bought my first car with a navigation system in 2001. While I rarely need turn-by-turn directions, I would now feel like I was really missing something if I didn't have the map available to me all of the time. Of the 6 or 7 cars that I've bought since then, perhaps, my worst mistake was the one of those cars that I bought without a navigation system.

And I can't imagine ever buying another vehicle without dozens of features that, at one time, I wouldn't have even imagined would have ever existed.
Old 03-26-15, 09:12 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Poppa
Yeah, it's easy to get spoiled with all of the features that come on most of todays vehicles... I've owned big oldsmobiles, cadillacs, etc... none of them had bsm / back up cameras / etc... and yet now after owning an avalon and now a lexus, I've become so dependent on those features... Yep, I got spoiled quick..... a word about rentals, depending on your insurance coverage, you may have been able to upgrade to a larger better equipped car... a few years back I upped my car rental coverage to around 50 bucks a day ( I think that's what it is ).. glad I did, when I wrecked my avalon ( my fault ), I was able to rent a Chrysler 300 for two weeks on the insurance companies dime. That additional 20 to 25 bucks a day in rental coverage sure pays off when you have to rent a car for a week or longer... and I believe the premium for the increased rental coverage was minimal...

Poppa
Thanks, good info.
Old 03-26-15, 09:16 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
It is interesting how, once we have had a feature on a vehicle, we don't want to be without it.

I can remember the 1968 Camaro that I owned. At that time, a well-equipped car had an AM radio and a heater, and operating the "AC" meant manually cranking down the windows and driving a little faster.

My first car with real AC was purchased in 1974, and, after that, I would not have wanted to be without AC. My first car with power windows was bought in 1983, and I've wanted power windows ever since.

The same pattern has continued over the decades, and it applies to features that I don't even use much. My first car with a sunroof was bought in 1985. Even though I almost never use the sunroof or even open the shade, I wouldn't want a vehicle without a sunroof.

I bought my first car with a navigation system in 2001. While I rarely need turn-by-turn directions, I would now feel like I was really missing something if I didn't have the map available to me all of the time. Of the 6 or 7 cars that I've bought since then, perhaps, my worst mistake was the one of those cars that I bought without a navigation system.

And I can't imagine ever buying another vehicle without dozens of features that, at one time, I wouldn't have even imagined would have ever existed.
Agree. My second RX had rain sensing wipers. The next one didn't. I couldn't wait till I could trade it in and get that feature again.
Old 03-26-15, 08:22 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Did the Santa Fe's noise and vibrations bother you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Rental Car Experence.