ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2015 Luxury vs ultra

Old 03-20-15, 02:23 PM
Riverpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Luxury vs ultra

Good afternoon all, and happy Friday!

After perusing the Lexus web site, then going to my local dealer and getting a ES 350 pamphlet, I am confused and hope all you great people can help me out.

On the web site, if I want the navigation, I have to input the Marksinon radio etc.. which automatically chooses the ultra luxury package.

Here is what I want.... I want the navigation package (with the ability to use the remote start, et al... with my phone) but I don't want the ultra package or Markinson radio upgrade. I really don't need the glass roof. I'd like the luxury package and navigation.

Is there someone who knows if this is possible, or a website that shows ALL the options, instead of the Lexus site which just shows some of the packages/options?

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 03-20-15, 03:35 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

At various times during the year, Lexus sets up its production lines to build vehicles with different combinations of packages and optional equipment. Those package and equipment combinations change during the course of the year.

If the Lexus website is only allowing you to get the navigation system with the UL package and the ML sound system, that would seem to indicate that that combination is what has been recently built. I can't speak for the 2015 model year, but, in 2013 and 2014, it was possible to get the navigation system with the luxury package and premium sound system. I'd check inventories of dealers to see if they have any 2015 ES vehicles that may have been built earlier in the production year with the combination you want. If they don't have any, it may be that, in a few months, the combination that you want could be available.
Old 03-20-15, 04:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You can definitely get the luxury package with navigation package without the Mark Levinson, but dealers usually bundle it with HID headlamps, blind-spot monitor, park assist, 18" wheels, wood steering wheel. That's the case for here in SoCal but dealer specs them differently for various regions. Best to check online at dealer inventory or make a visit to your local dealer.

The Lexus build system isn't the best. It isn't very specific or accurate at times.

Last edited by dchar; 03-20-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 05:05 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by Riverpilot
Good afternoon all, and happy Friday!

After perusing the Lexus web site, then going to my local dealer and getting a ES 350 pamphlet, I am confused and hope all you great people can help me out.

On the web site, if I want the navigation, I have to input the Marksinon radio etc.. which automatically chooses the ultra luxury package.

Here is what I want.... I want the navigation package (with the ability to use the remote start, et al... with my phone) but I don't want the ultra package or Markinson radio upgrade. I really don't need the glass roof. I'd like the luxury package and navigation.

Is there someone who knows if this is possible, or a website that shows ALL the options, instead of the Lexus site which just shows some of the packages/options?

Thanks for any and all help!
are you dealing with willis or lujack?
Old 03-20-15, 06:15 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

I believe you should be able to configure it that way. My car is configured very similar to that, but with the Premium package instead of the Luxury package. It has the blind spot monitor, heated and ventilated seats, Nav, park assist, rain sensing wipers and the heated steering wheel with a sticker price of $46,459.

I presume the Big difference with the addition of the Luxury package is the leather interior. I don't know what else that adds but I presume that configuration is possible. Oh, and it has the remote capability but it comes as an add-on to SOS so it runs about 219 per year after the trial period. I don't know if that requires any particular package or option - or if it is available with all 2015 models.
Old 03-20-15, 07:02 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

For the 2015 models it does not let you configure just the navigation without either selecting the mark levinson audio package or the ultra luxury package. The luxury package does not include navigation, you get remote entry, heated seats, perforated leather interior. The premium package also does not include navigation. I think the best way to do the ES is with the UL package, especially in 2015 with a panoramic roof.
Old 03-20-15, 07:17 PM
Riverpilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airgas1998
are you dealing with willis or lujack?
Lujacks. I'd just go in and ask, but I really dislike dealing with sales people. They've got a tough job, I get that... but.. lol

I happened to run across edmunds web site, which seems to be able to configure it in quite a few different scenarios than the lexus web site.

I would really rather not get the glass (?) roof. However, for those who do have that option, is it heavily tinted? As in, on a 90 degree day I won't be blasted by sun?

The remote start is a must for me at this point. Dealing with these last few winters, and summers.. whew!

Again, thank you all for the comments.
Old 03-20-15, 07:39 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Indeed it is heavily tinted to where you wont feel a thing, it also has a retractable cover to completely cover the glass roof if you so wish. I think it makes the cabin feel much bigger than it is and i quite like that, especially since the ES is relatively not a wide car with 71.1 inches. Also i really like how the black roof goes with white, atomic silver, liquid platinum and nebula gray colors, it gives the car a more lowered look. Also a lot of buyers look for the UL package during resale, you will get a more competitive price.
Old 03-20-15, 07:48 PM
Riverpilot
Driver School Candidate

Aha... I didn't realize it had a retractable cover. So the entire ceiling, front to back can be completely covered, blocking out the exterior completely? No sun coming eh? That, would be doable then.

Does that glass roof take away much head room?

Hmmm.. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-20-15, 08:56 PM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverpilot
Lujacks. I'd just go in and ask, but I really dislike dealing with sales people. They've got a tough job, I get that... but.. lol

I happened to run across edmunds web site, which seems to be able to configure it in quite a few different scenarios than the lexus web site.

I would really rather not get the glass (?) roof. However, for those who do have that option, is it heavily tinted? As in, on a 90 degree day I won't be blasted by sun?

The remote start is a must for me at this point. Dealing with these last few winters, and summers.. whew!

Again, thank you all for the comments.
Definitely, a very dark tint. You can't tell it's glass from the inside. And with the sun roof
closed it stays as cool as my RX with reg roof. Also I believe you can only get the remote start with the UL package. Head room is the same as the reg ES.
Staying cool is a must for me in southeast Texas.

Last edited by roxy208; 03-20-15 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 05:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PirelliGS
Also a lot of buyers look for the UL package during resale, you will get a more competitive price.
Actually, that is not true. A used vehicle that is very nicely equipped will, in general, return a much higher percentage of its initial cost at re-sale or trade-in time than a fully loaded vehicle.

The reason is that, for example, a 2 year old fully loaded vehicle, like an ES UL, is likely to have an asking price similar to that of brand new nicely but more modestly equipped same model vehicle. Many car buyers are going to choose the new vehicle, and that drives down the prices on the fully loaded used vehicles.

Similarly, a few more years down the road, when used car buyers have the choice, for a similar price, between a fully loaded generation 6 UL ES that is 6 years old and with 90,000 miles on it or a nicely equipped generation 7 ES that is 4 years old and that only has 60,000 miles on, many will choose the newer but more modestly equipped vehicle.

There are some options that return a higher percentage of initial cost than do others. A navigation system, for example, fits into that category. There are other options, which would be included when you get to that "fully loaded" level, that return very little of their initial cost, and that is especially true because because typical used car buyers don't have as much knowledge as typical forum participants, and, while they will quickly notice whether a car has a navigation system or not, many won't even notice whether a car has a Mark Levinson sound system or ambient lighting.

When you buy a fully loaded vehicle, it should be because that is the vehicle that you really want, and the reason should not be because you mistakenly think that is is going to return the highest percentage of its initial coast at re-sale or trade-in time.
Old 03-21-15, 05:33 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Actually, that is not true. A used vehicle that is very nicely equipped will, in general, return a much higher percentage of its initial cost at re-sale or trade-in time than a fully loaded vehicle.
Sounds logical, but I've noticed that UL ES's, of any year, don't sit on a dealer's lot very long.
Old 03-21-15, 06:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Sounds logical, but I've noticed that UL ES's, of any year, don't sit on a dealer's lot very long.
But what is relevant to my point is not how long it took to sell the vehicles. Instead, it is whether the fully loaded vehicles, when they did sell, sold for a higher percentage, lower percentage, or the same percentage of their initial cost than did nicely equipped, but more modestly equipped, vehicles.
Old 03-21-15, 06:13 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Roxy208, I would like to offer that I do not have the UL version, but I do have remote start through the mobile app. So it isn't on the key fob and it does require an annual subscription, but it does provide an alternative.
Old 03-21-15, 06:47 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
But what is relevant to my point is not how long it took to sell the vehicles. Instead, it is whether the fully loaded vehicles, when they did sell, sold for a higher percentage, lower percentage, or the same percentage of their initial cost than did nicely equipped, but more modestly equipped, vehicles.
Supply and demand play into it, also. The UL holds value very well, due to this.

Last edited by Mike728; 03-21-15 at 08:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Luxury vs ultra