ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Obsidian color - how hard to maintain??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 03:56 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Actually, it is showroom lights that will make polishing swirls more apparent than light from any natural source. If you put a black vehicle that does not have polishing swirls in the showroom, it will look great in that light, but, if you put one with even minor polishing swirls in that light, it will look worse than it will outside because minor polishing swirls will not be readily seen in natural light.
very true, a black cars friend is a cloudy day....
Old 04-03-15, 04:01 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys I'm about to pick up the car tomorrow and now I'm really nervous. The more I research the more I realize that this is going to be a big Pain ? Can you go to my local dealer and have them put up a clearcoat or some specific Product that would seal the paint? I see a lot of black cars in my workplace infinities, bmws audis etc And I don't see black color being that much of a problem. The cars look pretty okay.
Old 04-03-15, 04:11 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Originally Posted by sharmila19
Guys I'm about to pick up the car tomorrow and now I'm really nervous. The more I research the more I realize that this is going to be a big Pain ? Can you go to my local dealer and have them put up a clearcoat or some specific Product that would seal the paint? I see a lot of black cars in my workplace infinities, bmws audis etc And I don't see black color being that much of a problem. The cars look pretty okay.
you bet you can seal the paint, but that won't prevent or reduce it's cleanliness.
Old 04-03-15, 04:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you want to add some protection to the paint, don't get it at the dealership. Find a good detailer. Better products better application and prices might even be lower.
Old 04-03-15, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Don't let the dealer touch it, they're going to swirl it up.

have a professional put something like CQuartz or OptiCoat on it, that will help some.
Old 04-04-15, 12:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Take it to a shop to get wrapped in clear vinyl. They will probably make sure no swirl marks or anything is on the car before starting. Lexus paint is kinda soft so obsidian will easily have scratches and swirls.
Old 04-04-15, 07:16 AM
GTR31
Driver School Candidate

Yes the lexus paint is quite soft. My black paint had some minor swirls at the end of the winter season, even though I applied sealant before the winter and only dry it off with damp microfibre towels. And it'll definitely look dirtier quicker than some other colors.
Old 04-04-15, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dchar
Take it to a shop to get wrapped in clear vinyl. They will probably make sure no swirl marks or anything is on the car before starting. Lexus paint is kinda soft so obsidian will easily have scratches and swirls.
People actually do that on higher end cars, I think thats a little overkill on something like an ES. You're talking about a $5k job.
Old 04-04-15, 07:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In the last 15 years, I've owned 5 black vehicles. Even though I am someone who can be quite obsessive about the finish of my vehicles, I think it is possible to be overly concerned about caring for the finish on a black vehicle.

While there is no question that a black vehicle will show dirt, water spots, etc. more readily than will other colors, I've found that a few simple measures can prevent minor surface scratches, polishing swirls, etc. First, never try to "dust" off the vehicle's finish with a dry cloth or towel. Also, use micro fiber towels to dry the vehicle after it is washed. And make sure that you don't make a habit of leaning against the vehicle or rubbing your clothing against the paint, and that is especially true when the vehicle is dusty or dirty. Finally, never set down packages, jackets, or anything else on the trunk lid, hood, or roof. If, over time, you do pick up some polishing swirls, a competent detailer can easily remove them. The bottom line is that, with a little common sense, the challenges of keeping a black car looking good can be minimized.

Beyond that, when you inevitably pick up some small stone nicks, enjoy the fact that you will be able to touch them up in a manner that makes them virtually invisible, which is something that you will be much less likely to do with other colors, especially lighter metallics and pearl finishes.

Last edited by lesz; 04-04-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lesz
Beyond that, when you inevitably pick up some small stone nicks, enjoy the fact that you will be able to touch them up in a manner that makes them virtually invisible, which is something that you will be much less likely to do with other colors, especially lighter metallics and pearl finishes.
This is very true. Silver for instance is great for hiding swirls, but touchups always look terrible.
Old 04-04-15, 09:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is very true. Silver for instance is great for hiding swirls, but touchups always look terrible.
Light silvers, light golds, and pearl whites are the toughest with regard to getting even minor touch ups to not be readily noticeable. Even with the nebula gray pearl that I have on my ES, those minor touch ups are much more of a challenge than they are on my black GX.
Old 04-04-15, 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The silver on my GS is impossible to touch up. Thats why I got a clear bra.
Old 04-04-15, 03:32 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

People actually do that on higher end cars, I think thats a little overkill on something like an ES. You're talking about a $5k job.
$5K seems a little high. Not sure if clear cost more than matte metallic black wraps, but my friend just got his MB C63 wrapped and it was less than $3K.
Old 04-04-15, 09:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dchar
$5K seems a little high. Not sure if clear cost more than matte metallic black wraps, but my friend just got his MB C63 wrapped and it was less than $3K.
Just think about it, I paid $700 for a 1/2 hood 1/2 fenders clear bra job. A full hood full fenders job was $1,300-$1,500. If 1/4 of the car costs $1,500...then 4/4 of the car costs $6,000.

Clear bra material is thicker than vinyl wraps, and more expensive. Even $3k though is a lot...you're talking about 7% of the cost of the car. The clearbra can scratch and swirl too...and it can't be polished out.
Old 04-04-15, 10:45 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Just think about it, I paid $700 for a 1/2 hood 1/2 fenders clear bra job. A full hood full fenders job was $1,300-$1,500. If 1/4 of the car costs $1,500...then 4/4 of the car costs $6,000.

Clear bra material is thicker than vinyl wraps, and more expensive. Even $3k though is a lot...you're talking about 7% of the cost of the car. The clearbra can scratch and swirl too...and it can't be polished out.
You made good points. That's why I'll never get black/obsidian on any of my cars. Black cars can look awesome when clean, but black luxury cars kinda seems "old fashioned" when there other better colors out there. Keeping a black car looking good is like having a second career maintaining it, or will burn a hole in my pocket paying others to detail it. I am one of those people who is very OCD of how my car looks. Scratches, chips, and swirls drive me crazy, but it might not bother others as much. I would probably leave it in the garage more too so it wouldn't get so dusty, which kinda defeats the purpose of owning a car.

Quick Reply: Obsidian color - how hard to maintain??