ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

genesis vs es

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 09:24 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

But get this, Citroen isn't doing too well globally but it has a premium DS brand in China and parts of Europe. Hyundai is in a much better position financially but it won't invest in a new luxury brand that could be better served by not being lumped together with Sonatas and ix35's.

As for Infiniti, they didn't have a coherent brand image and they've had engineering and quality issues with recent cars. Honda still has the upmarket Accord image with Acura and not enough is done to differentiate their cars. Heck, my old TSX was sold as a JDM Honda Accord or Accord Euro, but never as an Acura outside North America even though it was the same exact car. It's like Honda is doing the exact opposite of what Toyota did with Lexus.
Old 03-30-15, 03:39 PM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a surprise. When it comes to residual value, Genesis is right up there with Honda, Toyota and Lexus.

https://www.alg.com/residual-value-awards/
Old 03-30-15, 08:07 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought a 300h and had a bit of buyers remorse. Perhaps should have bought a Genesis. The Lexus is rated to be more quiet (www.auto-decibel-db.com) which was important to me. Also, I think that a car's steering wheel, gearshift and dashboard are the most important parts, because that is where the driver does his/her interaction with the machine. I absolutely love the Lexus es steering wheel and the dash is also much more interesting as compared to the Genesis.

Last edited by zes; 03-30-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 08:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I do agree that the interior of the Genesis, while very high quality is a little drab.
Old 03-30-15, 09:29 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

How did they get the measurements on that auto decibel site? The ES is almost as quiet as the LS and even the S-class at 75 mph while being half the price. I'll try and get some decibel readings on the phone on the drive home to see if it matches these figures.
Old 03-30-15, 09:45 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the Genesis have as low DB as the ES, LS or the S-Class?
Old 03-30-15, 10:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah I looked at that site, I would t put a lot of stock in those dB readings on that site. DB readings only tell part of the story when it comes to how quiet an interior feels or sounds anyways.

As for the Genesis, it's easily as quiet as the ES, perhaps close to as quiet as the LS. its very quiet.
Old 04-03-15, 05:22 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to talk a little about the comparison between the new Genesis and the 2014 ES 350 I just bought. I'll give you a little background on me first, I owned a 2011 Genesis for 3 years and I thought it was a great car. I had minimal issues and thought the Lexicon stereo system was the best around that I had heard up until that point. About the only thing I didn't like about that car was that the gas mileage was terrible. I ended up trading it in about 6 months ago with 83,000 miles on it and got $16,000 as a trade and got a 2015 Honda Accord Sport for my wife and a 2015 Accord EX-L for me as gas was about double from what it was now.

It didn't take me long to realize I should have test drove the Honda longer as it was short on leg room for me and it didn't ride near as nice as the Genesis or sound a quarter as nice. So I began my research to replace it with a 2015 Genesis Ultimate. I can tell you about every option from the signature, tech and ultimate packages and can recognize which is which just by looking at the photos as I began price checking and negotiating with numerous dealerships. During this process the Lexus ES 350 caught my attention and I began comparing the two. I then went and drove each car numerous times comparing them to each other. Every person on this forum has an opinion about this and that and I enjoy reading them but this is what my wife and I came to the conclusion on. The 2014 and 2015 Lexus ES 350 ( we drove both model years) was a smoother steering, smoother riding vehicle with what we believe is a more luxurious feel in the passenger compartment and gets quite a bit better gas mileage. Trust me I've read the reviews where people rate the Genesis as having a better interior, I'm not buying it and would have to question some of these reviews. The Genny's seats I would say are a little more refined and comfortable but I just spent 11 hours straight driving my Ultra home from Minnesota and I can confirm it was pretty comfortable. I will say the Mark Levinson radio is better than the Lexicon, I never would have thought so prior to hearing it but again after listening to numerous different media types the Levinson's bass is deeper and cleaner and sounds better than the 2015 Genny I was in last week. For those on the fence I will tell you the Genny was really quiet but I really didn't miss the horsepower difference in it with the ES. A lot of nice tech features in the Genny with the auto hold being one of my favorites which when you come to a stop you could take your foot off the brake pedal and the car remained in position. I found that as I tested the lane departure that it was inconsistent as the painted lines were very clear but sometimes it would still drift over the line. I wanted to buy the Genesis as I wanted AWD and tried to convince myself for the last 2 weeks that it was better than the Lexus but at the end of last weeks test drives between the 2 it became clear to me that the Lexus had taken the lead and the gas mileage factor was huge with the Lexus getting 21 / 31. I actually averaged 32.5 on this trip home with a brand new car. Please don't get me wrong either I still like the Genesis but the customer service that Lexus has shown me has been 2nd to none. I'll throw this in 2 for what it's worth. I've been around Mercedes and Bmw's quite a bit also as my parents have had a few. They just rode in this ES 350 and couldn't believe how smooth and quiet it was and remarked it was the best sound system they have heard. So if you are comparing 2 vehicle's I would tell you to make sure you drive them both several times and not just around the block to make sure which one works better for you. At the end of the day most of the tech features are probably not even going to be used by a lot of people but the resale value and quality of the product is going to last a long time. So hope that helps you airgass1988 and anyone else interested in the 2.
Old 04-03-15, 05:59 PM
airgas1998
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^thank you for your input on the two.
Old 04-03-15, 06:56 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for this digression. Can't compare the ES to a Genny as I've never owned the latter. With the ES vs. Accord comparison, I WILL say that the current or 9th generation Accord to me has quite a bit of legroom, so I'm not quite sure why cstone3636 notes poor amount of legroom.

Without going into a lot of detail, I will say that the ES is the better car but for it's $8-10k premium over my Accord, the way they're both configured, it should be.
Old 04-03-15, 07:19 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Canesguy, this wasn't a comparison of the ES to the Accord as that's kind of like comparing apples to peanuts. Some folks wanted to know some things about my impressions of the Genesis to which I owned and almost bought again and the ES to which I ended up deciding to buy over the Genesis. I know I looked for folks views on here and the Genesis forums going back and forth for some time reading what people's opinions were. Thats all they are at the end of the day "opinions" the facts are related to the gas mileage.

I guess for you to make a statement to the consensus that you can't figure out why I would say it had poor leg room maybe it would be important to know that I'm around 5'11 tall and there is about a 3.2 inch difference between the front legroom of the Accord and the Genesis and that's a fact also. I'm glad you like the leg room in your Accord but the facts stated above revealed why I wasn't satisfied with it.

Last edited by cstone3636; 04-03-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 07:02 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Canesguy
With the ES vs. Accord comparison, I WILL say that the current or 9th generation Accord to me has quite a bit of legroom, so I'm not quite sure why cstone3636 notes poor amount of legroom.
I have the same issue with the new Accord. My legs have to be bent with the seat all the way back. They've had this issue for me for the last couple generations, maybe always. I'm 6'4", but I have no problem in the Camry and other Accord competitors.
Old 04-04-15, 07:20 AM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Sorry for this digression. Can't compare the ES to a Genny as I've never owned the latter. With the ES vs. Accord comparison, I WILL say that the current or 9th generation Accord to me has quite a bit of legroom, so I'm not quite sure why cstone3636 notes poor amount of legroom.

Without going into a lot of detail, I will say that the ES is the better car but for it's $8-10k premium over my Accord, the way they're both configured, it should be.
Canesguy, can you please give us your impressions between the 300h and the Accord hybrid touring. Since you own both I figure you will have no biases. I am particularly interested in the drivability comparison of the HSD and the Accord hybrid systems. I can feel the engine kick in every now and then in the 300h. Not all the time but some of the time, and that kind of bugs me. I wish Lexus had put in a slightly larger traction motor and then made ine ICE kick in only after the car reached 15 or 20 mph. I feel the ICE only if it kicks in immediately when one move from rest. Also in the 300h the engine sound mostly correlates with the car acceleration which makes the package sound normal like other cars. I have heard that the Honda is louder and because there is no correlation between car acceleration/speed and the engineer rpm the car feels a bit strange. Also reports of the Honda ICE being a bit noisy when pushed. Will appreciate your experience in this.
Thanks
Old 04-04-15, 11:47 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Zes, other than cold starts or low battery levels, your ICE shouldn't kick in until you reach 35 mph. Of course you'll need to start up smoothly and gently to keep in battery mode.
Old 04-04-15, 01:29 PM
zes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arty101
Zes, other than cold starts or low battery levels, your ICE shouldn't kick in until you reach 35 mph. Of course you'll need to start up smoothly and gently to keep in battery mode.
Arty101, in my 2014 300h, at least, if it is in normal or eco mode and I press the gas so that the needle is in the middle of the eco band, then I would say 70% of the time the ICE will not kick in. However, then the traffic behind me gets impatient. If I push it a bit harder then the ICE kicks in. I feel I can modulate it so that the ICE does not kick in if there is nobody behind me, but those cell phone toting females in SUV's get impatient very quickly!!!

Quick Reply: genesis vs es