ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

30k mile service: MOC oil, engine, treatment and conditioner

Old 03-18-15, 10:19 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 30k mile service: MOC oil, engine, treatment and conditioner

I am due for my 30k mile service.

on the 'recommended' list (JM lexus) lists a number of oil treatments.

is this a dealer idea, or recommended by factory?

I've never been a fan of treatments, and normally change the oil at 5k, or 10k intervals.

(last time they added oil conditioner, and skipped the oil change, so I'm now at a 10k interval).

cost is around 300-400

--heres the list

Rotate & Balance Four Tires & Advise on Wear
No rotation on IS250 rear wheel drive/IS250c
Replace Brake Fluid
Replace Cabin A/C Filter
Replace Engine Air Filter
Reset Maintenance Light

Install MOC Engine Treatment
Install MOC Fuel Treatment
Install MOC Oil Conditioner
Install MOC Windshield Washer Fluid

MOC Battery Service

Performance check, clean terminals and inspect cables
Replace Front Wiper Inserts
Replace Keyless Entry Remote Batteries
Adjust Tire Pressure
Inspect Brakes & Advise on Wear
Inspect Undercarriage for Damage or Leaks
Inspect and Top Off Fluid Levels
Lube Driveshaft and Torque as Necessary (AWD vehicles only)
Complete Lexus Multi-Point Inspection
Inspect Engine Coolant
Inspect Front Floor Mat for Proper Installation
Includes Car Wash
Inspect inverter coolant
Road Test Vehicle
*Prices may vary by model and are subject to change
Old 03-18-15, 10:27 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The MOC products are not part of any factory recommendations and not needed. Some of the other items are of questionable value as well.

Dave Mac
Old 03-18-15, 10:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

There definitely is a difference between dealer recommended services and what the manufacturer recommends. I always follow the manufacturer's reco's and pass on the dealer stuff.
Old 03-18-15, 10:33 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I would do the following: Skip all the MOC additives. No manufacturer to my knowledge recommends an oil additive. If you use name brand fuel from a reputable dealer you do not require a fuel additive. Your coolant is good for up to 100,000 miles. It takes 5 minutes to change the cabin filter in the glove box, and maybe 10 to change the engine air filter. You can decide if you need new wipers, maybe not. Your battery is sealed ??
Synthetic oil is good for 10k miles or one year. I'd probably go for the tire rotation and the brake fluid.
Three or four hundred $ is a lot of money. Sounds like a lot of BS to me cooked up by the dealer
Old 03-18-15, 10:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

The Toyota/Lexus 0w-20 synthetic oil is made to Toyota specifications by Mobil/Exxon. It is essentially, higher performance Mobil 1 designed by Toyota engineers to last 10,000 miles. It does not need any additives.

I also wondered what the difference was or need for both an engine oil conditioner and engine treatment.
Battery service just means clean the terminals and add grease afterward to prevent corrosion.
I expect they charge more for MOC windshield washer fluid, I wonder if they have another available brand available for less money?
If you want a gas treatment, I recommend you buy your own bottle of Techron Fuel System cleaner available at most auto parts stores . I use it a couple of times a year to help keep the fuel system clean. It is inexpensive.
Old 03-18-15, 11:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

What does MOC stand for? Milk Owner's Cash? I assume they added the "conditioner" at a 5k interval, since changing the oil wasn't required. I would take it elsewhere for any kind of service.
Old 03-18-15, 11:21 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
What does MOC stand for? Milk Owner's Cash? I assume they added the "conditioner" at a 5k interval, since changing the oil wasn't required. I would take it elsewhere for any kind of service.
That's good Mike. "Milk Owner's Cash". Also good advice to Bill about going somewhere else for service. All they need is a mask for this to be a robbery...
Old 03-18-15, 11:26 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The MOC stuff seems to be a dealer thing. I know that the dealer changed the oil at 30K on my GS. Why would you want to treat old, dirty oil? The treatment seems to be almost the same price as an oil change. Just treating the oil rather than changing it can cause more damage later on after warranty. The rest of it seems pretty much Lexus recommended. I would say skip the MOC stuff and tell them you want what the service manual says (present them the book). The service manual can also be accessed on Lexusdrivers.com

Might want to try a different dealer since they seem to be dishonest and thieves.
Old 03-18-15, 11:36 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

Found the MOC web page. Note that the testimonials are all about increased profit. http://www.mocproducts.com/
Old 03-18-15, 01:57 PM
grabilsm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to hit my 30k service too. I would suggest buying the intake and cabin filter as well as the key fob batteries and wiper inserts off amazon and doing them your self as they are super easy to replace.

Other than that an oil change, brake fluid change and tire rotation should be done. I would suggest going to a Toyota dealership/indie to save some money.

300-400 is insane, and don't use additive.
Old 03-18-15, 02:29 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car's maintenance manual lists all of the items required at each scheduled maintenance. Insist that the dealer follow that schedule. Nothing MOC is listed there.
Old 03-18-15, 02:56 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Thanks for confirming my beliefs.

Milk Owners Cash!!! ROTFL! that's some funny stuff there!

FWIW,
I put a K&N air filter in about 8k ago, and swapped a Wix a/c filter a little before that.

Also, I've been doing 5k oil changes, but last time I went upstairs and fell asleep. Service Adviser thought he was doing me a favor and skipped my oil change, but added oil additive.

BTW, is there a tread on changing the key battery? Anyone know the size?
Old 03-18-15, 03:38 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Old 03-18-15, 10:15 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota put out a TSB a while back ago stating NOT to use any additives in oil or gas as they may cause damage to engine, due to dealers selling such products. Your oil already has additives in it and has been tested by the oil manufacturers to last the oil change intervals so why add something they didn't test on their product themselves. Also gasoline is self cleaning, I'm pretty sure you have use gas to clean something such as grease in the past. Any containment is captured by the fuel filter.
Old 03-19-15, 07:18 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

CR 2032 Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 30k mile service: MOC oil, engine, treatment and conditioner