ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying Help Needed 2014 vs. 2015 ES350

Old 03-16-15, 09:30 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Having no options at all will hurt your resale value dramatically. Most people expect certain things when they get a luxury car such as Nav and memory seats. I'm surprised that the dealer even has a car with no options.

Navigation package also includes app support, traffic, weather, sports, fuel prices enhanced Bluetooth, voice recognition, etc. Something to consider...
Old 03-17-15, 01:57 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemedgro
Problem is I like the red, the wife likes the white. I agree with Canesguy, I think the red pops more. But then again, the wife likes white and it will be parked outside our house and marriage is better when the wife is happy lol.
I can certainly understand this.... my wife and I are both in our early 60's, been married going on 34 years... and in all those years we have NEVER owned a red car.. Why, because my wife doesnt care for RED cars.....And thru the course of our marriage, just about every car we purchased new was for her, and I got the hand me down she had been driving.. but when I decided to by MY lexus last year... I picked a matador red ES... first words out of her mouth when she walked into the dealership to look at it were " you know I don't like red cars"... I replied " not your car".... Of course I was ready to duck as soon as I said it...but to my surprise she agreed so I bought it and love it.. and I'll tell you the matador red looks very different in different lighting situations.... even my wife commented how "pretty" the car looked the other night as we were walking towards it in a restaurant parking lot.... but that's why they paint them different colors.. different strokes for different folks... good luck with your decision... You'll be happy either way.

Poppa
Old 03-17-15, 06:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

I never counted until I read through this thread, but I'm on my 6th red vehicle! I think I have a problem!

The red does really stand out, but if I didn't have the glass top, I probably would have gone with a silver/grey. I think the two best looking ES's with the pano are white and red. I also don't think I could live with any other interior color than black, in a red ES. To each their own, though. It's good to have choices!
Old 03-17-15, 04:36 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Go with the 2015. 60K miles in less than a year is a bit much. That's five years of "use" in one year. The choices are cost, color, and "used-ness" (aka miles). 60K=bad. color=you-decide. cost=too close to call? I think it weighs towards the 2015. Good luck!
Old 03-17-15, 05:31 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Another option....how 'bout another '15 at that presented price in Matador red?
Old 03-17-15, 05:50 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can. You look a little more - there are some 2014 cars with luxury and nav that can be had for ~ 34-35k without any miles. I am almost finishing paperwork for a 14 fully loaded msrp 48234 - with ~ 60 miles for 38.5 . With that price in mind I think you could do better....
Old 03-17-15, 06:46 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Red definitely is beautiful, especially in bright sun, but it can be a pain to take care off. You would have to do your own detailing to avoid scratches and swirls and the color does fade over time. I was also thinking of getting a red ES with a tan interior but I ended up getting star fire pearl with a black interior. With a good detailing job, star fire pearl gleams in sunshine and even at night. I think the lighter colors bring out the ES' curves more and make it look smaller.
Old 03-17-15, 06:57 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
Go with the 2015. 60K miles in less than a year is a bit much. That's five years of "use" in one year. The choices are cost, color, and "used-ness" (aka miles). 60K=bad. color=you-decide. cost=too close to call? I think it weighs towards the 2015. Good luck!
Hello Kijug... I think you misread his original post... I thought he said the 2014 was a "new" car that had less than 60 miles on it.. not 60k..... that is why i said I would go for the 14.. bigger savings, plus the exact same warranty...
Old 03-19-15, 07:33 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Red definitely is beautiful, especially in bright sun, but it can be a pain to take care off. You would have to do your own detailing to avoid scratches and swirls and the color does fade over time. I was also thinking of getting a red ES with a tan interior but I ended up getting star fire pearl with a black interior. With a good detailing job, star fire pearl gleams in sunshine and even at night. I think the lighter colors bring out the ES' curves more and make it look smaller.
That's what my wife said too! We live in Florida and she says that a red car parked outside would fade over time while the white doesn't fade as much.

To clarify, the 2014 matador red is brand new with less than 60 total miles, not 60k. I'm still on the fence, but I kind of like the 2015 better because of the display screen that is standard. In the 2014, the base model es350 has the old looking LCD display (same as in Rx350) that looks like it was designed after a 1980's Casio watch display. It honestly bothers me, I'd expect that in a Ford Fiesta but not a Lexus!
Old 03-19-15, 07:47 PM
airgas1998
Driver

That's what my wife said too! We live in Florida and she says that a red car parked outside would fade over time while the white doesn't fade as much.

To clarify, the 2014 matador red is brand new with less than 60 total miles, not 60k. I'm still on the fence, but I kind of like the 2015 better because of the display screen that is standard. In the 2014, the base model es350 has the old looking LCD display (same as in Rx350) that looks like it was designed after a 1980's Casio watch display. It honestly bothers me, I'd expect that in a Ford Fiesta but not a Lexus!
Guess i'm confused...do you mean the center display that's in the instrument cluster? and i thought with the new generation 13'-present nothing has changed with that.
Old 03-19-15, 08:33 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify. I've had a total of three Matador Red Lexus'. All were garaged at night but in the desert sun during the day. I don't know what others are talking about when they say red fades and is a lot of work to keep looking good (maybe this was true many years ago). Now, simply,...NOT so.

When I traded the red cars after years, the paint and finish looked as good as the day I got them with no problems with swirls or scratches. The maintenance was no harder than white or silver. The worst color to keep looking good without a doubt is black.

Last edited by Canesguy; 03-19-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-20-15, 12:42 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Hang on, are you saying the red car with 60 miles on the clock has a black and white display in the center console? And no rotary **** or Remote Touch controller? That's as bare bones as they come and it would be hard to sell on later. My ES300h came in that basement-level spec and I had an aftermarket navigation/media unit put in. Nearly drove me insane staring at that 80's tech relic in a 2014 car...
Old 03-20-15, 12:15 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chromedome
Hang on, are you saying the red car with 60 miles on the clock has a black and white display in the center console? And no rotary **** or Remote Touch controller? That's as bare bones as they come and it would be hard to sell on later. My ES300h came in that basement-level spec and I had an aftermarket navigation/media unit put in. Nearly drove me insane staring at that 80's tech relic in a 2014 car...
Yep. Bare bones for sure, that's why they are knocking of $8k off the sticker.

I'm actually quite an expert of using google to find photos, but it was super hard to find one of the screen, probably because it's embarrassing for lexus. Here is what the screen kinda looks like in the 2014 (this pic is off a 13' RX350). Bad isn't it?

As for options, I'm kinda a low options guy. Learned my lesson after buying a corvette with $17k in options, when I traded it in, I probably got 20% value for the options at most. I don't use navigation much on cars and I have a theory that heated/ventilated seats are less comfortable than those without (my butt needs all the comfort it can get). Ideally, I would want three options on the 15' ES350: wood steering wheel (love the feel of it) ~$330, HID lights - $500, and blind spot assist $500 . I think those three are worth the money, unfortunately I can't get them alone without adding $3k in option packages.

Old 03-20-15, 12:18 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Just to clarify. I've had a total of three Matador Red Lexus'. All were garaged at night but in the desert sun during the day. I don't know what others are talking about when they say red fades and is a lot of work to keep looking good (maybe this was true many years ago). Now, simply,...NOT so.

When I traded the red cars after years, the paint and finish looked as good as the day I got them with no problems with swirls or scratches. The maintenance was no harder than white or silver. The worst color to keep looking good without a doubt is black.
Good to know. When the dealer parked the matador red in the showroom lights, man it looked like it was glowing because of the gold flakes. With correct sun lighting, I think the red pops more. With low lighting or night lighting, I think the white looks better.
Old 03-20-15, 12:26 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

I would want three options on the 15' ES350: wood steering wheel (love the feel of it) ~$330,
Are you saying the wood steering wheel is an option? I was pretty sure that was the only way they came.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Help Needed 2014 vs. 2015 ES350