ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying Help Needed 2014 vs. 2015 ES350

Old 03-15-15, 06:07 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Help Needed 2014 vs. 2015 ES350

I'm looking to purchase a ES350 within a few days and could use your guys input.

What do you guys think is the better purchase from the dealer?

2014 ES 350 new, MSRP $37.7k. Willing to sell for $30k ($7,700 off). Matador red. Less than <60 miles.

2015 ES 350 new, MSRP $38.8k. Willing to sell for $33.8k ($5,000 off). Starfire Pearl white.

I do like the new screen and backup camera in the 15', but since I don't ever get navigation in a vehicle, I don't really need it.

Bottom line is price and value. Obviously I get more discount with the older new model, but then as soon as I drive it off the lot it's a year old right?

I'm also trading in a 2009 IS 250 AWD, they are offering $15k for it, which is fair. I'm sure I can get at least $17.5k if I were to sell myself, but I really don't like selling it myself lol.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-15, 07:21 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Well if you're not getting Nav and you like the color combo, then I'd say get the 2014. Most of the changes for 2015 are with the Nav interface. Although, with almost 60 miles, that probably means it has been out for many test drives. Driving "a year old" off the lot doesn't really make a difference since no major changes were made between the model years.
Old 03-15-15, 08:16 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Test drive them back to back over a bumpy stretch of road. It's possible the '15 might have a smoother ride due to possible unadvertised suspension recalibrations.

Personally I'd go for the '15 because the '14 was built last summer and has 7-8 months of exposure to the outside elements. The '14 has also been subjected to various test drives including pedal to the metal drives which is not good during the break-in period. And subject to alot of idling in the dealers lot to recharge the battery. Prolonged Idling is also not great during the break in period. Lastly, because of the idling and brief test drives, standing water sometimes accumulates inside the exhaust system which accelerates internal corrosion of the muffler, resonator and pipes.
Old 03-15-15, 09:01 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Test drive them back to back over a bumpy stretch of road. It's possible the '15 might have a smoother ride due to possible unadvertised suspension recalibrations.
Is it possible to have unadvertised suspension recalibrations??? I thought they would advertise every change...
Old 03-16-15, 01:02 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Think if it were me I'd probably go with the 2014 matador red model.. like you said,the car is "new" and has less than 60 miles on it... also, you'll be paying almost ( not quite ) 4K more for the 2015 model... nothing wrong with that if that's what you want... somebody else posted that the 2014 is a year older... and while that is true, your warranty is exactly the same as if you buy the 15... 4 years of x miles from the date you buy it... I'm partial to the matador red also.. gee.. wonder why?
Old 03-16-15, 04:48 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,050 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemedgro
I'm looking to purchase a ES350 within a few days and could use your guys input.

What do you guys think is the better purchase from the dealer?

2014 ES 350 new, MSRP $37.7k. Willing to sell for $30k ($7,700 off). Matador red. Less than <60 miles.

2015 ES 350 new, MSRP $38.8k. Willing to sell for $33.8k ($5,000 off). Starfire Pearl white.

I do like the new screen and backup camera in the 15', but since I don't ever get navigation in a vehicle, I don't really need it.

Bottom line is price and value. Obviously I get more discount with the older new model, but then as soon as I drive it off the lot it's a year old right?

I'm also trading in a 2009 IS 250 AWD, they are offering $15k for it, which is fair. I'm sure I can get at least $17.5k if I were to sell myself, but I really don't like selling it myself lol.

Thanks for the help.
I am looking at a 2014 ES. How is the 2015 nav screen different than the 2014?
Old 03-16-15, 05:13 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

When considering whether the 2014 or the 2015 is a "better buy", one factor to take into consideration is how long you are likely to keep the vehicle.

If, for example, you are likely to keep the car for, say, only 2 years before trading it in or selling it, the value of the 2015, at that time, is likely to exceed the value of the 2014 by close to the premium that you would be paying now for the 2015. On the other hand, if you are likely to keep the car for 5 or 6 years, by that time, there will be very little difference in the resale or trade-in value of the 2015 compared to the 2014. So, if it were me and if I was likely to keep the car for only a couple of years, I'd be inclined to go with the 2015, but, if I was likely to keep the car for 5 or 6 years, I could well find reasons to buy the 2014.

Originally Posted by sharmila19
Is it possible to have unadvertised suspension recalibrations??? I thought they would advertise every change...
I would be surprised if there were no "unadvertised" changes between the 2013 or 2014 ES and the 2015 ES. Even within the same model year, there are often such unadvertised changes from the beginning of the model year to the end of the model year.

For example, it could be the case that, somewhere along the line, the engineers discovered that putting something as simple as a 1" strip of foam behind a door panel where, say, the door handle is could make it less likely that the door handle was going to squeak or rattle when temperatures change, that 1" strip of foam might well be added. Or, if it was discovered that something like an electrical switch was prone to failure, a redesigned switch might be used in later production runs.

Thus, I would be surprised if there were no unannounced changes "under the skin" between a 2013 or 2014 ES and a 2015 ES, and I'd also be surprised if there were no such unannounced changes between a 2015 ES built, say, in November, 2014 and one built in July, 2015.
Old 03-16-15, 08:26 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with test-driving both. If your feelings remain equivocal I would go for the color combination you like most, or go for the '15 if you can get the deal lowered by another $1K.
Old 03-16-15, 03:02 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Canesguy
I agree with test-driving both. If your feelings remain equivocal I would go for the color combination you like most, or go for the '15 if you can get the deal lowered by another $1K.
Another dealer contacted me back today offering $16k for my trade in (over the phone though). I'm confident that I can get $15-16k for it as I've already taken it to 2 dealers who offered $15k, CarMax as always lowballed with $14k. So basically, they offered me the 15' for $5k off and an extra 1k for my trade in vs. the other dealer who offered $7.7k off the 14' + 15k for my trade in.

So now, it's $2,700 separating the two model years. Such a hard decision.

I went to the dealer today and spent 30 mins looking at the cars. I'm leaning toward the 2015 though, the white is more universal and looks so clean. Appreciate the comments, what do you guys think red or white? From what the dealer tells me the matador reds don't sell as well and might have less resale value because of that reason.
Old 03-16-15, 03:47 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm leaning toward the 2015 though, the white is more universal and looks so clean. Appreciate the comments, what do you guys think red or white? From what the dealer tells me the matador reds don't sell as well and might have less resale value because of that reason.
I'm not so sure about the red vs. white resale value. I often at work have a white ES parked next to me. Comparing the two, to me, there IS no comparison. The white is nondescript, and the red has the wow factor.

But.....it's a personal thing. You've got to get what YOU like most. What are the interior colors of the two?
Old 03-16-15, 04:28 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

the dealer tells me the matador reds don't sell as well and might have less resale value because of that reason.
It's true. While shopping online for new 2015 ES's in Dec. & Jan at a dozen+ Lexus dealerships in Calif. I noticed the matador reds stayed in dealer inventory longer.
Old 03-16-15, 04:39 PM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't buy the one you REALLY want, you'll always wish you had. Don't do that to yourself.
Old 03-16-15, 04:42 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytstar
If you don't buy the one you REALLY want, you'll always wish you had. Don't do that to yourself.
I agree- can you specify what packages are installed???
Old 03-16-15, 06:26 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

words of wisdom
Old 03-16-15, 08:54 PM
Bluemedgro
Driver School Candidate

Problem is I like the red, the wife likes the white. I agree with Canesguy, I think the red pops more. But then again, the wife likes white and it will be parked outside our house and marriage is better when the wife is happy lol.

Interior on the two is parchement. No options included at all at that price point for either cars as that is as close to base MSRP as I can get. Only thing they come with is Preferred Accessory Package (i.e. Trunk mat, cargo net). I kind of want it that way as I've never really used navigation on the last two cars I've owned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Help Needed 2014 vs. 2015 ES350