ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Owners - Parchment vs black interior- es350help me decide

Old 03-13-15, 03:36 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Owners - Parchment vs black interior- es350help me decide

Hi guys I've decided to finally get the car but I have two choices either parchment or black interior. Can you please share your experience/input?

This car is mainly going to be used by me. Once in a while wife and kids are going to be in it.
To be honest I'm not the best when it comes to keeping the car clean. I just like the idea, the brightness of the parchment interior but at the same time I want to be practical. Thanks
Old 03-13-15, 03:53 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

When you ask a question like this one, you are likely to get people to respond in way that does nothing more than to defend his/her personal choice, and some will be inclined to defend that choice in a manner similar to what one would expect if somebody had challenged the honor of his/her mother or spouse. The reality is that it is a matter of personal preference.

My current ES has the parchment interior. My previous ES had a black interior. While the parchment shows things like scuffs more readily, the black shows dust and other types of dirt more readily. I'd be hard pressed to say which, overall, is easier to keep clean.

Again, it really is a matter of personal preference. I'd pick the one that has the greater visual appeal to me.
Old 03-13-15, 04:58 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the parchment interior in my ES300h UL. It is a lighter shade than I have had in previous cars with similar colors. The plastic on the door sills shows a scuff every time anyone touches any of them with a shoe... I don't like black, personally. I do think this light color is much more difficult to keep clean than the similar colors that I have had in previous cars.

I would prefer a darker shade of tan/leather. And, a more durable material on the areas that get lots of wear (such as, door sills).

In a "luxury" car, details really do matter.
Old 03-13-15, 05:20 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If you have difficulty keeping cars clean, then black is the one for you. Parchment will require cleaning and conditioning the leather more often due to the dye transfer from pants, shampooing the light beige carpets a lot, and wiping the dust off the black dash and trim. Honestly, idk what Lexus was thinking putting light beige carpets in a car. I had an ES loaner with parchment and the carpets were laden with tons of black stains from regular use.

If you want balance of light interior with dark accents and carpets, you should look into the light grey leather. At least you won't have to worry about shampooing the carpets as much.
Old 03-13-15, 06:30 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

I have the Parchment. A lot of good points are made here regarding how light it is, difficulty in maintaining it, etc.
However, I think it really looks rich and as far as dye transfers, there are several products that safely and effective remove, up to this point, all smudges and scuffs. I agree that having the light carpets requires a greater degree of maintenance. Living in PA I remove them for the winter and use the Lexus rubber mats. I'll be putting them back in shortly. I've found that black tends to fade where the sun comes in and eventually looks worn.
I guess after all it truly is just a matter of choice.
Old 03-13-15, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

My 2010 ES had the Parchment interior. Personally I think it looks a lot richer on the ES than the black, which is why I chose it on the 2010 instead of black which I'd had in the 2003.

Cleaning it wasn't that bad. Once a month I wiped down the seats with Ultima Interior Shampoo which does a great job of removing any dye transfer, etc.

If you like the Parchment, I wouldn't be afraid to get it.

Thinking about an LS maybe to replace the GS, might go back to the parchment.
Old 03-13-15, 08:27 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

You definitely get a lot of opinions on interior colors based largely on personal preference. With that in mind, I will share my opinion as well. We have had our ES for three weeks now and it has a black interior. I like the look when it is clean, sadly it is never quite clean - consequently I can't say that I am a fan. We had a choice between a white/parchment and the Atomic Silver/black. We loved the silver and so we ended up with a black interior. My wife and I both regret the decision.

Our 2013 RX has Parchment, as did our 2004. I can say without question that the parchment is more cheerful and far easier to maintain. The black shows every little touch and even footprints if you touch the threshold as you draw your feet into the car. It always looks dusty and dirty. If I could make the call again I wouldn't get a black interior. I am just too picky to put up with it but I will learn to live with it.

Conclusion: After 11 years of Lexus Parchment interiors and three weeks of black, I can tell you without question that my wife and I find the Parchment easier to live with - in my humble opinion.
Old 03-13-15, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The black carpets are hard to keep clean. I keep a little hand vac in the garage for touch ups.
Old 03-13-15, 10:13 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

With kids, I would get black instead. Will you be getting leather or Nulux?

My old Acura had real leather in a color slightly darker than parchment and it was a pain to keep clean with kids around. I had issues with due transfer from jeans and staining from coffee/tea/milk. I had to use a good Meguiars leather product to keep things looking good.

My ES has dark gray Nulux, it does show footprints and smudges more but it's easy to clean with water and a microfiber towel. A quick spray with a vinyl protectant keeps the seats soft and shiny. The downside is that dark seats can make the car feel smaller - I don't mind since I have all piano black trim anyway.
Old 03-14-15, 10:43 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Both of mine have the black interior and it is annoying. I have to vac and dust often.
Yesterday I had a ES loner with parchment and although it is beautiful the black stains on the floor mats is a turnoff.
I'll stay with black. A quick wipe down vs shampooing mats works for me.
Old 03-14-15, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My Parchment 2010 ES had darker tan carpets that hid stains very well.
Old 03-14-15, 11:12 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Regarding the comment about wanting black with kids, I respectfully disagree. Kids don't pay attention and will kick the inside door panels and the seat backs. That would just amplify the challenges with black interiors.

The comment about dirty floor mats is fair. For some reason, my parchment interior in the RX came with black floor mats. I assume this was normal for my dealer due to our winter climate. Our dealer doesn't put the mats down until purchase so the parchment interior of our test drive car may have also been black. Don't recall looking in the trunk of that car so I never saw the mats. I'm sure swapping them out for black would be an option if the floors are a concern.
Old 03-14-15, 11:16 AM
gcrest01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parchment color

Like others said it's a matter of personal choices and tradeoffs. I will defend my choice of Parchment For the last four of 36 months leases I've been always getting Parchment (used to be Beige) color. For me personally the choice was justified that it really brighten up my mood with the lighter color On the exterior I've had black all the time. So outside it was all business but inside it was a light touch.
As far as maintaince I believe both Parchment and Black require regular cleaning especially when you have perforated seats.
Since I've had leases it was a bit easier for me when I've been getting a new car every 36 months.
If I were to buy it and keep it for 6/7 years that the cleaning would be more of an issue.
So the choice is yours: first of all what color do you like more Parchment or Black since your will be looking at it for a long time inside the car and the second how much close to perfection do you want to keep it? If you are perfectionist than with Parchment you will have to clean all the marks on the floor mats (or add additional replacement weather mats) and clean all the marks from the shoes that kids leave on the back of the front seat. Mine left a lot of marks in the back
Old 03-14-15, 03:02 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Regarding the comment about wanting black with kids, I respectfully disagree. Kids don't pay attention and will kick the inside door panels and the seat backs. That would just amplify the challenges with black interiors.

The comment about dirty floor mats is fair. For some reason, my parchment interior in the RX came with black floor mats. I assume this was normal for my dealer due to our winter climate. Our dealer doesn't put the mats down until purchase so the parchment interior of our test drive car may have also been black. Don't recall looking in the trunk of that car so I never saw the mats. I'm sure swapping them out for black would be an option if the floors are a concern.
You can also get the Lexus black all season floor mats in place of the carpeted mats.
Old 03-14-15, 07:19 PM
nflguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife had a 2012 Camry XLE with prchment interior that she loved. So when we started shopping for a Lexus ES350 we were certain we would get parchment. Well, until we actually sat in a few of the ES-350'S. Brand new cars that looked a year old because it was so easy to see fingerprints etc on the very light colored parchment. We just thought overall the parchment color was too light and looked cheap. The ones with black interior looked much better in person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners - Parchment vs black interior- es350help me decide