ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013 ES350 driver seat upper portion Parchment Perforated NuLuxe leather cut repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-15, 06:42 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with Arty's assessment: The repair now and the deduction at the end of the lease may just be a wash. I'd ask the service dept. how much they'd want to replace it and go from there. You might just have to bite the bullet. Unfortunate situation.
Old 03-16-15, 06:54 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Since the generation 6 ES has been out for about 2 1/2 years now, there should be some of them showing up in salvage yards. You might be able to pick up a seat from a salvage vehicle for a reasonable price and use its cover to repair your seat.
Old 07-27-16, 08:12 PM
gcrest01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Since the generation 6 ES has been out for about 2 1/2 years now, there should be some of them showing up in salvage yards. You might be able to pick up a seat from a salvage vehicle for a reasonable price and use its cover to repair your seat.
I have been watching ebay and local salvage yards for the last 6 month and no luck so far.

It's time to get this repaired since I only have 3 months left on the lease.

I need some help to figure out the correct Lexus part number for the front driver seat. I have Luxury package: ( perforated leather-trimmed interior, heated & ventilated front seats, dark maple wood interior trim),
There are 3 Parchment leather packages:

[LA01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Nuluxe Synthetic Leather;

[LB01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Leather;

[LC01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Semi-Aniline Leather;

I'm assuming that I have LB01 ( B package) Regular Parchment leather and not Semi-Aniline Leather. Can anyone confirm this please?

B PackageLexus Part No.: 71074-33N40-A1 COVER SUB-ASSY, FR S
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...-track,,71074S

versus: C PackageLexus Part No.: 71074-33M90-A4 COVER SUB-ASSY, FR
Old 07-27-16, 09:40 PM
Island
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my 2016 es350
My sales rep kept telling me that nulux is the way to go and it is so durable and he's never had someOne bring their car in for issues with it
He said he would pick it over real leather
I hope I didn't make a bad decision as i also have the parchment nulux
Old 07-28-16, 06:05 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Island
I just bought my 2016 es350
My sales rep kept telling me that nulux is the way to go and it is so durable and he's never had someOne bring their car in for issues with it
He said he would pick it over real leather
I hope I didn't make a bad decision as i also have the parchment nulux
Salesmen will say anything to convince you that you have made the right decison (I have the parchment nulux as well though and am happy with it)
Old 07-28-16, 06:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gcrest01
I have been watching ebay and local salvage yards for the last 6 month and no luck so far.

It's time to get this repaired since I only have 3 months left on the lease.

I need some help to figure out the correct Lexus part number for the front driver seat. I have Luxury package: ( perforated leather-trimmed interior, heated & ventilated front seats, dark maple wood interior trim),
There are 3 Parchment leather packages:

[LA01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Nuluxe Synthetic Leather;

[LB01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Leather;

[LC01] Seat Upholstery, Parchment Semi-Aniline Leather;

I'm assuming that I have LB01 ( B package) Regular Parchment leather and not Semi-Aniline Leather. Can anyone confirm this please?

B PackageLexus Part No.: 71074-33N40-A1 COVER SUB-ASSY, FR S

versus: C PackageLexus Part No.: 71074-33M90-A4 COVER SUB-ASSY, FR
Yes, if your ES has the Luxury Package, you have the LB01 Leather and not the semi-aniline leather, which is on cars with the Ultra Luxury Package. If a car has neither the Luxury Package or the Ultra Luxury Package, it would have the NuLuxe.
Old 07-29-16, 06:09 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>semi-aniline leather, which is on cars with the Ultra Luxury Package.
Cars with the ULP would also have the seat extender, wouldn't they? That would be a really easy thing to check, you'd think.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 07-29-16, 06:49 AM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey gcrest -
So I recently purchased a CPO ES and in the service history, it looks like when they were reconditioning the car for CPO/resale the dealer had some work done by a place called "Rogers Rip Shop." I'm assuming that was a leather issue so maybe you can google that and see what you come up with. It's somewhere here in Mass, so that might not be helpful, but maybe they can refer you to someone in your area.

As an aside - that service history log on the lexus website is surprisingly comprehensive.

Good luck
Old 07-29-16, 07:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by notabot
Hey gcrest -
So I recently purchased a CPO ES and in the service history, it looks like when they were reconditioning the car for CPO/resale the dealer had some work done by a place called "Rogers Rip Shop." I'm assuming that was a leather issue so maybe you can google that and see what you come up with. It's somewhere here in Mass, so that might not be helpful, but maybe they can refer you to someone in your area.

As an aside - that service history log on the lexus website is surprisingly comprehensive.

Good luck
There are people who specialize in doing interior repairs on leather, vinyl, dashboards, etc. There are likely some of these in virtually all markets, and, in large metropolitan areas, there are likely to be several of them. Like with the guys who do paintless dent removal, some of them have their own shops, and some of them work in the service areas of dealerships, moving from one dealership to another on a monthly schedule. Just like with the paintless dent guys, the good ones who do interior repairs can be real magicians and can do undetectable repairs on many kinds of damage.

If you have a relationship with a service manager at any auto dealership and if you ask nicely, he/she might give you the name of the person that that dealership uses. Over the years, I've built up a relationship with a guy who does excellent PDR work and another who does excellent interior repairs. If I have need for the services of either, I contact them directly and meet up with them at one of the dealerships where they might be working at the time. Arranging for the work to be done directly with the PDR guy or interior repair guy eliminates the dealer's share of the profit, and doing so can make getting these repairs done much more economical. My PDR guy has typically charged me between $$20 and $40 to remove 1-3 dents. I've used the interior repair guy a couple of times, and his charges have been in the $50-100 range.

A few years ago, I had the interior guy come to my home and repair a gouge in some (expensive) semi-aniline leather furniture. Fortunately, the repair was in an area near the floor, and, from a normal standing position, I can't detect the repair, but, if I look closely while kneeling down and being at close distance with good light, I can see some signs that it has been repaired, but I do have to look hard to see them. The same guy did a repair on a gouge in the glove box door of my GX. No matter how closely I look, I can't detect any signs of a repair.

So, for the OP here, how well this kind of repair would work is likely to depend on where the damaged area is, whether it is in a spot that gets direct light and can be seen at a close distance, etc. I would think that it would be something that certainly would be worth checking out. My guess would be that a repair done an area on the side or toward the edge of the seat might work well, but I would also guess that, if the damaged area is in the perforated portion of the seat, it might not be a good candidate for this kind of repair. Also, though, these people can replace the leather/vinyl on a damaged surface or even just a portion of the material on a damaged surface, and I'm confident that having one of them do the job would be less costly than it would be if you went through the dealer to have the work done.

I'll also add that, when trying to do a repair on a damaged leather or vinyl surface, the problem is usually not with getting a good color match. A skilled technician should be able to do that easily. The problem is more likely with how the repaired area ends up blending with the surrounding leather or vinyl. When the repair/patch material is applied, that area is going to be raised to a slightly higher level than the surrounding areas, and, because the repaired area is slightly higher, it will catch light differently than how the original surface catches light. The technician can try to taper the application of the repair material, but, even with doing so, it is still going to catch the light slightly differently, and that is what makes the repair noticeable. Also, it is more likely that an undetectable repair of this kind can be done on a harder/firmer surface, such as the glove box door that I had repaired or the firmer sides of a seat than it can be done on a softer/more flexible surface, such as the actual seating area of the seat.

Last edited by lesz; 07-29-16 at 08:08 AM.